Pakistan's crisis of destiny...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan's crisis of destiny...

A brilliant article written on the crisis the country is facing and its proper juxtaposition in the current scheme of things. Here is one writer who reflects the classical libertarian tradition often dubbed as conservatism in politics with the echo of the words," Give me liberty or give me death." All I know is that american founding fathers as well as the covenant of Islamic medina would be proud of this man.

By Ayaz Amir

"You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go." - Cromwell to the Long Parliament when he thought it was no longer fit to conduct the affairs of the nation.

http://www.dawn.com/weekly/ayaz/20020607.htm

[This message has been edited by sabah (edited June 15, 2002).]

I just read 4 pages and 83 posts worth of Pakistanis claiming that India "chickened out" and that India backed down in recent days and Indians claiming the opposite. (From the outside looking in, it doesn't appear to me that either side "chickened out" and that both leaders are trying to do the right thing by defusing a bad situation).

Now, I read some Pakistani who is apparently making the same arguments the Indians made in that other thread that Musharref demonstrated weakness and that Pakistan backed down. What gives here?

Also, the author says that "None of the above means we should have been on the side of the Taliban or exported 'jihad' across the LoC. These policies should have been re-examined a long time ago, much before September caught up with our delusions."

If these policies needed re-examination and change a long time ago, how does doing the "right thing" when Musharref did it somehow make his actions the wrong thing to do and a demonstration of weakness? I can tell you that Musharref making the decision to support the US is viewed as demonstrating his strength not a weakness in the Western world. Is this author suggesting that continuation of a wrong policy is better than changing to a correct one because changing demonstrates weakness?

Sounds to me like this author has a "macho" complex.
    "I met the surgeon general - he offered me a cigarette. " --Rodney Dangerfield

Comment

Myvoice

I live in L.A. I have few Indian friends and we always have conversation over Indo-Pakistan situation. Some of them, as always, blame Pakistan for everything. Among those, one India told me that India just want [b]Musharraf[b] to be totally destablize, specifically, Pakistan. Either, it is by them or by the extremists of Pakistan.

Musharraf Govt. needs to do more for the LAW AND ORDER of the country. This is the only aspect of their Govt. , in which they are totally failed.

I hope, they will make the situation better and create the atmosphere of investment.

ALLAH PROTECT PAKISTAN

Comment

First of all this is guy with arbitrary powers so one care less what the US thinks of this guy. He can do sweeping cleanups like any efficient dictatorship like castro or saddam. All he needs is label anyone as extremist and go about doing his stuff? US could careless about civil liberties and republicanism in this 3rd world country. India and Pakistan wouldnt have gone to war. This was what it was sabre rattling, which came from one country which has had a pattern to do so inorder to get some media coverage and their much desired respect in the World. India couldnt want more than status quo in kashmir. It is happy with it. If any side wants to bring in change in the status quo it is Pakistan. And right now the only thing happening in kashmir is just that: revert back to status quo.
        As regards his saying that what he writes should not be equated with saying that pakistan should (or shouldnot) support Taliban is totally correct. Taliban are irrelevant here. A policy of misleading the country, with bogus referndum and false assurances is just that : a wrong policy.

[This message has been edited by Sultan Toora (edited June 14, 2002).]

Comment

Well, I disagreed from the start that we should allow our air bases to be used for attacking Afghanistan. In that much I am agreed with the author. However the spin he is putting on the events is simple mischief.

The fact that Indian viewpoint is being accepted is just something that we will have to accept. Whatever Musharraf does, India's market value will always make other nation's eyes light up with $$$ signs.

Thus despite being a bunch of communal thugs, they are accorded diplomatic respect. There is no evidence to say that Pakistan has backed down. This is the line that is being spun from New Dehli. Fact is India declared violent intent, Pakistan promised to meet the challenge head on and then India backed down. Just like usual. It's all just a hoopla in order to give the fascists in Dehli a last chance to cling on to power.

Comment

Yes, we can never outnumber Indians. 10 Indians for every 1.4 Pakistanis. Bigger landmass, larger Industries etc. However all is not lost because we can make sure that our products are better, people better off, and a country better run and more efficient.

We must find new ways of governance and overhaul old ideas which have NOT worked in the past. Pakistan has come a long way from a country made of the 'unwanted' parts of India (lets face it) to the Nuclear Islamic Nation of today. What we need to begin change from top down. Easier said than done.

------------------
            The eyelids of a Rajputs eyes are lowered only in death.

Comment

I know Ayaz Amir has been writing a lot and I will assume that he is a well respected writer in his country or atleast in some circles. But I am very very disappointed that he could write such garbage. I say this because under the guise of Pakistani pride he is invoking false sentiments that bely reality. Let's take this one by one.

1. Did Pakistan chicken out? Did India chicken? Reality: Both countries are not foolish enough to think that either can be succesful in a war. So thay stopped short of full scale war. If Ayaz looks at history, the most courageous are those warriors that hate war. This is not cowardice. This is not surrender. This is plain common sense.

2. Ayaz dismisses the fear of nuclear war in one half sentence. Reality is that even though we don't like saying this in post-cold war, it is m.a.d that stopped the war this time. Why does he want to not face this fact of life?

3. Ayaz, like many in India and in Pakistan, seem to want to believe in a vague emotion called 'friendship between nations'. As India and Pakistan and a hundred other poor countries have found the hard way, friendship is among equals. The relationship between India and US or Pakistan and US can at best be described as symbiotic arrangements (like the bird plucking worms of a rhino - doesn't make th ebird and rhino friends - if the bird plucks the wrong part or too hard, the rhino will not hesitate to shake it loose). So all this talk about some how Pakistani's should feel betrayed by US actions - from an illiterate citizen may be one can expect. But from a respected columnist, we should expect better thought out ideas I think.

Because people want to know what people like Ayaz think. Ayaz and others have the power to lead in thoughts. As much as the political leadership, thought leaders can either take the country to betterment or lead the country to ruins again. Ayaz, withdraw from such emotions.

Comment

Originally posted by ArjunMahavir:

3. Ayaz, like many in India and in Pakistan, seem to want to believe in a vague emotion called 'friendship between nations'. As India and Pakistan and a hundred other poor countries have found the hard way, friendship is among equals. The relationship between India and US or Pakistan and US can at best be described as symbiotic arrangements (like the bird plucking worms of a rhino - doesn't make th ebird and rhino friends - if the bird plucks the wrong part or too hard, the rhino will not hesitate to shake it loose). So all this talk about some how Pakistani's should feel betrayed by US actions - from an illiterate citizen may be one can expect. But from a respected columnist, we should expect better thought out ideas I think.

Oh Ayaz Amir is emotional all right. Not long ago he volunteered to enlist if Pakistan declares war.!! And he is like 50 or something!!

Anyway Arjun's point isvalid except for one qualification. 'Friendship' is among kith and kin too. Like UK/US.

Anyway I think all this talk about 'Friendship' is crap. Indian and Pakistan should go their separate ways since they separated!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nagarjuna:
                  Oh Ayaz Amir is emotional all right. Not long ago he volunteered to enlist if Pakistan declares war.!! And he is like 50 or something!!

Yes, i'm sure he did...

Anyway I think all this talk about 'Friendship' is crap. Indian and Pakistan should go their separate ways since they separated!!

Then why are you here? Why don;t you 'go your seperate way'?

Comment

Originally posted by RealDeal:

Yes, i'm sure he did...

Then why are you here? Why don;t you 'go your seperate way'?

Well Realdeal I am not denying Indians and Pakistanis were once the same country and have much in common.
                    My point is it is Pakistanis who chose to separate.
                    So both of us should concentrate on being good neighbours.
                    Frankly the romantic Indo-Pak allainces are proposed by Pre-Independence North indians with a personal association with partition, like Advani, Gujral, Khuswant Singh etc., and are NOT shared by many Indians Hindu or Muslims.
                    Friendship? Fine. Infact living in US as I do I prfer dealing with a Pakistani rather than a Gora.
                    Infact I am personally known to be partial to Pakistanis in my friendships.

Comment

Friendship? Fine. Infact living in US as I do I prfer dealing with a Pakistani rather than a Gora.
                      Infact I am personally known to be partial to Pakistanis in my friendships.
                      nice to know.

Comment

Working...
                      X