• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jihad has driven many to psychosis

This is too funny

By Sadia Bokhari

LAHORE: Dr Haroon Rashid, head of the psychiatry department at the Ganga Ram Hospital, has seen his share of Afghan-returned Pakistanis. Speaking to Daily Times on Monday, he shared his thoughts on Jihadism and the suffering it was causing hundreds of families here.

Jihad, Mr Rashid said, was the ability to “inculcate within ourselves the basic values of truthfulness, tolerance and upright moral behaviour in our day to day dealings with one another”. It does not entail sending poor young men off into a foreign land equipped with little else besides a rabid view of the world which, the doctor pointed out, frequently leads to psychosis.

Patient X at Ganga Ram went to wage Jihad in Afghanistan after he heard a Friday sermon last July. The young man was a shopkeeper and provided for his three sisters and mother. “His foremost duty was to take care of his impoverished family,” Mr Rashid said. Five other people joined him but changed their minds at the last moment.

According to Mr Rashid, the patient believed he would find glory in battle and make his way into the pantheon of great warriors. At the Afghan training camps, however, he was unable to deal with the fact that he was only a trainee. The Taliban did not allow the young man to fight. A few weeks into the training programme, his manic depression became pronounced.

He became prone to fits of violence. As a result, the Taliban contacted his family and informed him that the would-be Jihadi had fallen ill. Once he was brought back to Pakistan, he was admitted to the Ganga Ram Psychiatric Ward. Hyperactive and chatty, Patient X was treated at the hospital for months before he was fit for society again.

Mr Rashid also treated another would-be Jihadi, a college graduate from the Garhi Habibullah neighbourhood who enlisted with the Taliban and became psychotic after he was unable to cope with the rugged terrain and the environment at the training camp.

Religious scholars, the doctor said, should send out a clear message of what is appropriate moral behaviour to help the masses wisely negotiate the hazards of poverty and economic despair. “Impressionable minds,” he said, “must not be allowed to languish and they must not be fed angry rhetoric.” Recruiting young, disillusioned men for Jihad is not right, he added.
    Jihad is REALLY injurious to health

Why did you steal my nickname?

Comment

he is B and u r C.

Comment

JimmyC,

My real name is Jim B.

Comment

haha

Apparently both of your jimmies have an obession with Jihad... You seem to love the word jihad, and use it more than us Pakistanis...

Comment

Jimmy B* and Jimmy C*

challo donon a gaye..
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I do not find the article funny. I am sorry! I just cannot bring myself to laugh at somebody else's misery. Do you have any idea what some of these poor young men had to go through? One day you are 20 and the next you are 65!

Comment

Those men had themselves to blame for believing in their local Mulla.

Comment

Where is JimmyA?

JimmyB, you must be an American right-winger right?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyB:
                    Those men had themselves to blame for believing in their local Mulla.
                    Easy for you to say.

Comment

Isn't it sad about religions these days? Look at the recent record of some major religions or at least events under the name of these religions.

1. My dear Hinduism which I follow and have found answers for almost all issues of my mind - some vigilante groups with victim complex and eye-for-eye mentality.

2. Islam - fundametalist groups such as Al Qaeda and Jamait etc

3. Christianity - daily breaking stories of priest mis-behavior and abuse

In other words, any institution needs checks and balances. Holy men should practice humility and practice what they preach. Religions should keep away from commerce and state. The state should make sure that religions stay as religions and not become sub-states, commercial enterprises, power brokers and militia

Comment

Working...
                      X