Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pakistan total education budget only Rs 2.88 billion?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Pakistan total education budget only Rs 2.88 billion?

    I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is ture this is really sad. Our education budget should be Rs. 50 to 80 billion at aleast.

    http://www.nation.com.pk/daily/today/main/top14.htm

    Rs 2.88b likely for education sector

    By Latif Rana
    LAHORE–The federal government is likely to allocate a sum of Rs 2.88 billion for education sector, six times higher than last year’s allocation, The Nation learnt on Friday.
    The original allocation for education last year was Rs 1.70 billion which was later increased under the education sector reforms but could not exceed beyond Rs two billion. The record increase for the year 2002-2003 is being envisaged to launch as many as 115 development schemes under the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP) in education sector in all the provinces.
    The budgetary outlay is likely to increase to 4.45 in the revised estimate. However, the record allocation is being made mainly in the provinces of Sindh, NWFP and Balochistan where major chunk of 155 development schemes is being introduced this year.
    The allocation of Rs 171.995 million to the Punjab, though high, will be practically lesser as compared to last year’s as most of the federal budget will be spent on development schemes instead of strengthening the existing infrastructure of education in the province.
    In addition to the allocation in federal budget, Punjab’s own allocation for education is likely to be Rs 1.45 billion. Due to new development schemes in the province, however, this budgetary outlay also seems to be insignificant. These schemes included the setting up of gigantic Al-Khwarzmi Institute of Computer Science at the University of Engineering and Technology, the Institute of Biological Sciences at the Punjab University with federal fund component. The Institute of Mathematics at the Government College, Lahore, with federal grant component, the construction of postgraduate blocks at a number of boys and girls degree colleges, technical and vocational education and standardisation of technical colleges in the provinces are the major programmes to be accomplished this year in Punjab.
    The sources, however, said that the government desire for spread of higher education in science and technology, particularly in natural sciences, cannot be fulfilled by empty slogans but with generous fund allocations.
    They wonder if the district governments would be able to transform the policies of federal and provincial governments in higher education and prioritise education at least at par with the construction of roads, lanes, swerage and water supply etc. The district governments have to be energised and motivated to achieve the ambitious goal of obtaining 74 per cent literacy rate and to proliferate higher education and research.
    All people are equal, but some are more equal than others. We call these "corporations."

    #2
    Well, we could worry about the state of Pakistans education if we didn't have to worry so much about our survival. If we could settle our issues with India, we could progress, but not while we have Indians as our enemy.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Adnan Ahmed:
      Well, we could worry about the state of Pakistans education if we didn't have to worry so much about our survival. If we could settle our issues with India, we could progress, but not while we have Indians as our enemy.
      True, but powerful vested interests in Pak don't want peace with India, including the Army.

      Comment


        #4
        The education sector in Pakistan, is sadly in a poor condition. Although, the present admininstration is trying it's level best to bring some reforms, and has shown some visible changes( virtual university, one of the projects ), however it's not enough. The main problem is the lack of funds in this sector, as mentioned earlier by Ahmed ji. However, I was wondering, that if we put our lobbyists in motion in Europe and in North America, we might be able to achieve more aid in this sector, in the name of education. Although, we are currently getting some aid from the donor agencies, like the U.N.D.P., however it's very obvious that it's not enough.
        It would be very enlightening if our fellow guppies can come up with some more solutions, about how to generate revenue for education sector in Pakistan...
        Unity, Faith & Discipline....
        --Jinnah

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by ZulfiOKC:
          The education sector in Pakistan, is sadly in a poor condition. Although, the present admininstration is trying it's level best to bring some reforms, and has shown some visible changes( virtual university, one of the projects ), however it's not enough. The main problem is the lack of funds in this sector, as mentioned earlier by Ahmed ji. However, I was wondering, that if we put our lobbyists in motion in Europe and in North America, we might be able to achieve more aid in this sector, in the name of education. Although, we are currently getting some aid from the donor agencies, like the U.N.D.P., however it's very obvious that it's not enough.
          It would be very enlightening if our fellow guppies can come up with some more solutions, about how to generate revenue for education sector in Pakistan...
          It would be to everyones advantage for Pakistan to improve in this area. Perhaps you could start a web page devoted to collecting funds for this purpose. Just a thought. I see you live in the US.
          From what I have seen and heared people in Pakistan are intellegent. So add a good education to that, and you will go very far.
          Brenda

          ------------------
          Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!!!

          Comment


            #6
            That's because the army and federal govnt is eating up all the funds from the provinces.

            Comment


              #7
              How can you pay for education when you are buying Korean and Chinese dingdongs for "testing"?

              Atleast, you can make the green paint indigenously...


              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Talwar:
                How can you pay for education when you are buying Korean and Chinese dingdongs for "testing"?

                Atleast, you can make the green paint indigenously...


                Atleast we aint buying old worn out Soviet crap that crashes everytime you run it...

                There are more poverty/plague ridden creeps in India... You ought to worry about them...

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Talwar:
                  How can you pay for education when you are buying Korean and Chinese dingdongs for "testing"?

                  Atleast, you can make the green paint indigenously...


                  Talwar ji, I would strongly urge you to put aside the India-Pakistan hostiliy for a moment. And lets discuss the real issues our South Asia is facing today, if not for the sake of India or Pakistan, then for the sake of the seriouness of this issue...
                  Unity, Faith & Discipline....
                  --Jinnah

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X