X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astronut
    replied
    Originally posted by ArjunMahavir:
    Both sides are making way too much of Sattar quitting. How does it matter who is foreign minister and who is chapraasi in a dictatorship? The dictator can make his barber his minister for giving him a good shave. And he can make his chief justice clean his car for not handing out a sentence quickly enough!

Make no mistake: Pakistan's judiciary is in Pakistan. Its legislature and executive branches of government are in three buildings in D.C. Why do I call what's left in Isloo judiciary? Because they enforce the laws enacted by the other branch.

The prime skill set that has been identified for promotion within the dictatorship is the ability to speak in some form of English to media without mixing genders and missing vowels.
    And you feel proud of your great 'Democrazy' back home in India where a chapraasi Home Minister L.K. Advani sits comfortably fighting a personal war against the Muslims. I don't know what credentials your BJP government looks for! I have yet to see a single official from Indian government in a suit and tie. As far as I am concerned, they all look like Chapraasis to me.

Leave a comment:

• ArjunMahavir
    replied
    Both sides are making way too much of Sattar quitting. How does it matter who is foreign minister and who is chapraasi in a dictatorship? The dictator can make his barber his minister for giving him a good shave. And he can make his chief justice clean his car for not handing out a sentence quickly enough!

Make no mistake: Pakistan's judiciary is in Pakistan. Its legislature and executive branches of government are in three buildings in D.C. Why do I call what's left in Isloo judiciary? Because they enforce the laws enacted by the other branch.

The prime skill set that has been identified for promotion within the dictatorship is the ability to speak in some form of English to media without mixing genders and missing vowels.

Leave a comment:

• uff
    replied
    Originally posted by OldLahori:
    Sounds like vaccuous talking Head syndrome. Oh got a column deadline to meet! Smart guy, if he had a 3 hour operation now, is it possible that he was not feeling well and that is why he could not come to Washington?

well ofcourse it is ossible but also Pakistani Dictators have done this kind of actions against people who are hurdle in their way. what do you think?

And i really want to know your Opinions folks. Since i don't know much, Trying to learn from you guys.

Leave a comment:

• uff
    replied
    Allah karey aap sab log theek he keh rahay hoon.

Leave a comment:

• OldLahori
    replied
    Sounds like vaccuous talking Head syndrome. Oh got a column deadline to meet! Smart guy, if he had a 3 hour operation now, is it possible that he was not feeling well and that is why he could not come to Washington?

Leave a comment:

• Spock
    replied
    Originally posted by Abdali:
    Ahh the same genius who said Musharraf threaten suicide
    hehe

Leave a comment:

• Abdali
    replied
    Originally posted by Spock:
    Also note the name of the author of that article...

CHIDANAND RAJGHATTA
    Ahh the same genius who said Musharraf threaten suicide

Leave a comment:

• uff
    replied
    but at this stage when this person is neede to work this sudden resegnation is not baseless. I am sure we are in trouble May God Help Us Aameen.

Leave a comment:

• Spock
    replied
    Also note the name of the author of that article...

CHIDANAND RAJGHATTA

Leave a comment:

• ZulfiOKC
    replied
    Uff ji, all I'm going to say is that the Indians have the habit of assuming too much. Mr. Sattar, had a surgery in May( just last month ). Any semsible doctor would recommend a person to rest and chill, after a major surgery.

Leave a comment:

• uff
    replied
    Abdul Sattar: Caught Bush, bowled Mush

CHIDANAND RAJGHATTA

TIMES NEWS NETWORK [ FRIDAY, JUNE 07, 2002 9:20:35 PM ]

WASHINGTON: Pakistan Foreign Minister Abdul Sattar's resignation this week, ostensibly on health grounds, was very much on the cards for several months after military ruler Pervez Musharraf and his patrons in Washington showed a distinct lack of confidence in him.

The first sign that Sattar was on his way out came when Musharraf sidelined him during a visit to Washington in February. Musharraf personally took charge of foreign affairs and came here with only his finance and commerce ministers. Since then, the general has been pretty much hands on even as Sattar faded.

Musharraf's benefactors in Washington too signaled their approval of Sattar's ouster. Secretary of State Colin Powell's interactions, when he called the sub-continent, were his counterpart in India, External Affairs Minister Jaswant Singh, but in Pakistan he dealt directly with Gen.Musharraf.

That Sattar was not part of Musharraf's inner circle became evident last year itself when the General elevated himself to the post of President while Sattar was canvassing the State Department in Washington for supporting the military regime.

The foreign minister got an earful from Bush administration officials who were at that time implacable opposed to the general's usurpation of power. The fact that Sattar wasn't even aware of the goings on in Islamabad while in Washington diminished him considerably.
    (Ironically, it wasn't until New Delhi recognised Musharraf's ascendancy to the post of President that Washington relented and began dealing with him normally. In effect, India was partly responsible for Washington's turnaround.)

Washington also disapproved of Sattar's hardline policy, especially on India, and considered him one of the architects of Pakistan's disastrous Afghan policy. The Afghan turnaround was credited entirely to Gen. Musharraf.

More recently, Sattar was completely out of the loop as Musharraf finalised five separate delegations to travel important world capitals to explain Pakistan's case in the ongoing wrangle with India.

Pakistan's Ambassador to Washington Maleeha Lodhi is now considered a frontrunner for the foreign minister's post. Lodhi has now done two stints as Pakistan's envoy here, first as a representative of the Benazir Bhutto government from 1993 to 1997 and then envoy of the military regime from 1999 to date.

Expectedly, her long stint here has earned her Washington's trust and confidence although she is controversial back home in Pakistan and among non-resident Pakistanis here.

Conservative circles frown on her lifestyle and local rags have often carried vituperative articles about her smoking and drinking. But she is praised by most liberal Pakistanis for carrying the country's torch at a very difficult time.

Lodhi also accomplished the remarkable feat of turning from a Benazir groupie (they were friends from their days in London, where Lodhi taught at the London School of Economics) to a representative of the military regime.

Although Benazir appointed her to envoy to Washington, the two women have subsequently fallen out and do not maintain any contact. Benazir apparently regards her as a turncoat. Lodhi has also skillfully navigated charges of corruption against a family member her brother Amir Lodhi was accused of involvement in the f-16 deal.

According to Pakistani circles, Lodhi had indicated to the military regime that she was keen on packing up from Washington and returning home ahead of the October elections.

A former journalist who was the first editor of The News daily from the Jang group -- and the first female editor in Pakistan -- she was said to be considering returning to the media world, possibly to head a planned television operation of the same group.

Other candidates being mentioned to replace Sattar are foreign secretary Inamul Haque, former Foreign secretary Najmuddin Sheikh, and former Foreign Minister Shahyar Khan, a scion of the Bhopal royal family and cousin India' former cricket captain Tiger Pataudi.

Related story

Leave a comment:

• Pakistani Tiger
    replied
    Originally posted by uff:
    but it works fine to me . can you give it another try ?
    Duh!

What a stupid heading of the News!

YOU LOOK UGLY IN DISGUISE

[This message has been edited by Pakistani Tiger (edited June 07, 2002).]

Leave a comment:

• uff
    replied
    but it works fine to me . can you give it another try ?

Leave a comment:

• Pakistani Tiger
    replied
    Link doesn't work

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME

Leave a comment:

• uff
    started a topic Caught Bush, bowled Mush

Caught Bush, bowled Mush

People i need comments on his Article.I am concerned about it in this situation when India And Pakistan are at edge of war.What do you people think Musharraf is Doing?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/A...rt_id=12289202

[This message has been edited by uff (edited June 07, 2002).]
Working...
X