Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious question: Does Pakistan have a global quality company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious question: Does Pakistan have a global quality company?

In the present globalised era the number of home based multi-national companies gives the true index of competitiveness and quality.

For example, there are so many automobile plants in Mexico, Pakistan and India all exporting billions and billions dollars worth of cars, but in essence most of them of American or Japanese companies and all these profits only boost the stock price of american or japanese economies. It also shows that these (US and Japanese) companies are far more competitive and deliver much better quality than native companies.

In this context, I would like to know how many Pakistani companies have establishments outside of pakistan.

Simple rules are they must be primarily listed in Pakistan and must have production presence (not mere sales and delivery offices) outside Pakistan. The outside country can be anything other than Afghanistan as there is total lawlessness there. Pakistani brands produced outside are also acceptable.

well good ques...n sincerly spkin i hvnt a clue...but u c the prob with us is tht..v r 1 of the wrlds largest producers...of different things such as cotton...and companies like 'GAP' 'NIKE' 'ADIDAS' (is tht how its splt?:S) get their cottonware made in Pak...and sports ware...but v just cant form any companies..ourselves!! its jus as if a chain is arnd us whch v r unable 2 brk...(i hope v do asap AMIN) and this is cuz the educated ppl...leave the country...but as to answer ur ques...i duno n i wod b interetd in getin sum facts abt this

Comment

Well, Kumarkan, closer home how many INDIAN comanies have this 'Globa' quality or presence.

I can think of

1.TCS, InfoSys,Satyam, HCL/HP in software

2.Bajaj in scooters which really is not that creditable because Japs don't care for two-wheelers!!

And?

Comment

yes we do!

Its called Immigration inc!

Comment

Pak has two companies that trade on NASDAQ

1) Align tech. NASDAQ ALGN
          2) Netsol. NASDAQ NTWK

Three other three are:-

1) Mr. 10 percent.. So far only on KSE
          2) Swiss wali BB.. Not listed yet.
          3) Loha Choor Inc.. KSE... (Now Saudi based)

Comment

Murree Beer
            Pakistani first beer brand also being made in Aurstria to name one.

Cressoft
            Cressoft.com is one of largest software house of pak with presence in US

ARY(Abdul Razaq Yaqoob) GOLD company based in UAE.

AST Computers (now sold) fourth largest hardware manufacturer was sat up by Pakistani Saifi Quraeshi.

[This message has been edited by Shak killS (edited May 16, 2002).]
            پاکستان پاکستان

Comment

Guys let me make my question clearer:
              [*] Nike/Adidas etc are NOT Pakistani MNCs. so, we should not include them.
              [*] Nasdaq listed Pakistani companies are OK, but ONLY if they based out of Pakistan. For example, there may be many Pakistani Origin Techies in USA (who haven't invested a penny in Pakistan), having companies listed in Nasdaq. They are NOT Pakistani companies.
              [*] Any Foreign company owned by a Pakistani company based at Pakistan is OK.
              [*] Allegedly corrupt Foreign resident politicians are NOT ok.
              [*] Any Pakistani brand produced in a foreign company is OK.

And lastly I have a request. If you have a company meeting this qualification, can you please post some extra info about it. It will be helpful for people like me. (I have never been to Austria nor have had beer. So, I don't know anything about this brand.)

Abdali and Shakkills, I have a request. Do those companies listed by you meet the specification of a truly global quality Pakistani company as listed above.

Please help us know more about your listings.

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited May 16, 2002).]

Comment

NetSol and Align Tech are Lahore and US based. I am surprised you have not seen the add and TV documentary of Align Tech in US.

Align went public in US about 2 years ago.

ISLAMABAD: Align Technologies $647 million Pakistani company has
                launched itself on the prestigious New York Stock Exchange, Nasdaq,
                despite the fact that IT stocks are not doing so good in the market.

Align Technologies was co-founded by a 29-year-old Lahore origin ex-
                investment banker Zia Chisti in 1997 and he is the company's chairman &
                CEO since then. Zia Chishti worked for Morgan Stanley's investment
                banking division from 1992-95 before this venture.

Here is another Pakistani who made it in US. Unfortunately he died in a plane crash! his own plane. I know NetSol and Align have a web site... Will try to locatePak American makes it to he Forbes 400 richest list.

WASHINGTON: A Pakistani American, Michael Chowdry, has made it to the
                Forbes ranking of the richest 400 in America.
                Chowdry (44) heads Atlas Air, of Denver, Colorado, and has an
                estimated wealth of $675 million. Ranked 373, Chowdry is a self-made
                Pakistani who made his fortunes within a short span.

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited May 16, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Shak killS:
                  Murree Beer
                  Pakistani first beer brand also being made in Aurstria to name one.

Cressoft
                  Cressoft.com is one of largest software house of pak with presence in US

ARY(Abdul Razaq Yaqoob) GOLD company based in UAE.

AST Computers (now sold) fourth largest hardware manufacturer was sat up by Pakistani Saifi Quraeshi.

So far the best answer... Saifi Qureshi, the guy behind AST Computers (A very successful venture indeed, as it hit the top marks all over) has also invested in Enabling Technologies, a software company in Pakistan (also known as Awaz Networks), they have also been very successful, launched their DSP microprocessor (a major rival to TX instruments and Intel) a while back. They too have a presence in the US.

Comment

The Murree beer is al over in UK and brewed under licence from PAkistan in Austria.
                    They have launched with the logo
                    "Curry with Murree" and available everywhere.

Bestway retail chain in uk owned by Pakistani and he(Sir Anwer Pervez) also invested in pakistan as Bestway Cement.

------------------
                    End is Begining!

پاکستان پاکستان

Comment

Originally posted by Shak killS:
                      The Murree beer is al over in UK and brewed under licence from PAkistan in Austria.
                      They have launched with the logo
                      "Curry with Murree" and available everywhere.

Bestway retail chain in uk owned by Pakistani and he(Sir Anwer Pervez) also invested in pakistan as Bestway Cement.

http://www1.jaring.my/pas/harakah/a1...1025b3e13.html

Comment

Sialkot Chamber of Commerce

Do a search for sports and surgical instruments companies. Most 95% of them are exporters, and combined, they earn over 6% of Pakistan's foreign exchange.

Chances are, apart from a short list of 4 or 5 major industrialized countries, most of the countries of the world fall in the category of Pakistan. The only difference is in the level of corruption, otherwise, production and quality wise, most of the countries of the world fall in a relatively comparable category, after USA, Japan, Germany, China and Taiwan.

[This message has been edited by Akif (edited May 16, 2002).]

Comment

Akif, pick up any football in any store of the world, 95% probability -> Made in Pakistan

Comment

. post is below

Comment

Guys, guys, guys! I am NOt asking for exporter list. I am asking for Internationally recognised brands/companies...

1. Muree Beer (about which I know nothing) seems to meet the category as per your comments. I would like to know more about other potentials like the betway Chain, Cememnt company etc...

2. Netsol seems to makes the list

3. cresssoft seems to makes the list

That makes the count to 3 so far, please add more.

[*] Regarding Align tech, a google search led me to dental, dentists site for tooth alignment. More info needed

[*] Regarding AST computers, I did a google and went to www.ast.com . Ast.com doesn't exist.

But I got more info from google here.

AST Computers, LLC
                              <company> The private company formed in January 1999 when Mr. Beny Alagem, the former chairman of Packard Bell NEC, Inc., bought the name and intellectual property of AST Research, Inc.. AST Computers, LLC provide hardware, software, and services for small US businesses.

Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., of Seoul, Korea, owns a minority stake.

Home.

Address: Los Angeles, CA, USA.

(2000-03-28)

So, AST computers is NOT pakistani anymore (assuming it was originally sold by a Pakistan based group).
                              [*] Search for awaz networks gave me nothing. Please help!

Comment

Working...
                              X