Pakistans Economy Under the CE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistans Economy Under the CE

As Realdeal has said that the economy has gone backwards under the CE, i would like him to present his economic statistics and we can compare them to the stats under BBB and NS.

So Realdeal the floor is yours, lets see if the economy is backwards?

------------------
    I知 just a freedom fighter
    No remorse
    Raging on in holy war
    Soon there値l come a day
    When you池e face to face with me
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Interesting. I have just came for a 'quick browse', i'll reply appropriately later.
    C ya!

Comment

How about surfing this link:
      http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/Forum4/HTML/004025-2.html

Play Your Game - Guess My Motto

Comment

Bump.

------------------
        No remorse
        Raging on in holy war
        Soon there値l come a day

Comment

LOL CM. I guess he ain't gonna surf that link

Comment

I guess not.
            Bump.

------------------
            No remorse
            Raging on in holy war
            Soon there値l come a day

Comment

Bump.

------------------
              No remorse
              Raging on in holy war
              Soon there値l come a day

Comment

Leave it Man

Comment

What does this bump mean?!!

I am not under any 'deadline'.

You know if you want me to post reports here it will take time, and i will do it when I have the appropriate time.

In case you haven't noticed my replies lately have been one, two line quick replies.

Not to mention the fact I have posted many things before and you have conveniently ignored it!

Comment

Bump!
                    I am bring the thread up so you don't forget. Is that a crime?

------------------
                    No remorse
                    Raging on in holy war
                    Soon there値l come a day

Comment

I'll put up more later.
                      A clip from this article.
                      http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/may20...002/pol1.htm#2

In the same manner mere constitutional changes giving more powers to a self-appointed President will fail to improve the political culture unless respect for rule of law and democratic behaviour in practice is clearly demonstrated. Seeking legitimacy by referendum is yet another great fallacy. The general elections alone are not an instrument to ensure democratisation of society. These are mere means to achieve the goal of true representation of the people in governance. One is skeptical that the forthcoming elections under the military junta will lead to people's rule in Pakistan.

The present regime's understanding of the concept of people's rule does not appear to be different from that of the late Gen. Ziaul Haq, who destroyed all public institutions during his 11-year rule. Every dictator desires to perpetuate his rule by advocating that he is the saviour of the nation, and ultimately destroys national cohesion itself. It is unfortunate that our highest court since the inception of the country lent legitimacy to the unconstitutional rule that came into existence by flagrant violation of the Constitution itself.

As we are doing everything contrary to democracy in the name of political reforms, in the same manner we are resorting to anti-people policies in the area of economic policymaking.At the dictates of foreign donors Pakistan has become heavily dependent on external loans instead of moving towards self-reliance.

The military regime of General Musharraf, free from the compulsions of political governments, was expected to be more realistic in tackling economic problems. However, the Federal Budgets for 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 announced by the military junta were cast in the traditional mould. The only striking difference was that the present government had counted the chickens not before they were hatched but long before even the eggs had been laid. The tax revenue target, which by all standards was rather too ambitious, was fixed without taking into account ground realities. Therefore it was revised downward many times during the financial year. This is again a mockery of economic prudence and wise fiscal policies.

The budget makers conveniently overlooked the advance payment of taxes. Scheduled banks deposited colossal amounts of Rs 70 to 90 billion under 'advanced tax paid', courtesy a wickedly drafted law requiring them to pay advance tax on 'turnover-basis' instead of on 'actual income-basis'. External resources were also over-estimated. The usual frequent downward revisions of revenue estimates with a cut in expenditure, mostly for development and social sectors, during the years was thus on the cards.

After failing to achieve various macroeconomic targets in 2000 and 2001, the government functionaries have been claiming that the targets fixed for 2001-2002 could not be achieved due to the September 11 events. Instead of changing the existing strategy they have conveniently shifted the blame on an event occurring in the USA. What explanation will they provide for the fact that some of the modest targets set by the military government in the Federal Budget of the current financial year have now been adjusted downward in consultation with the Fund even after receiving fresh external credit? Where are we heading? Where is the much harped about rational policy and agenda of reform and survival?

(The writer is a leading international tax counsel and has written books on various aspects of Pakistani law and global narcotics trade.)

Comment

Just to point out some flaws in the quotes.

1. You have to cater to the demands of the investors for FDI, when you are competeing with the nearly 100 other countries, many which are far safer than Pakistan. You get the FDI, use it and when you establish a good reputuation you can pick and choose. Right now Pakistan should be happy with anything it can get.

Also what anti-people policy, specfics would have been nice. Well the author most likely didn't know anyway.

Self-reliance on what? We have had stagnating growth for 10 bloody years. Self-reliance my ass.

Tax target I agree was far to high. How was the govt supposed to know that our people are so damn corrupt and greedy, that they won't do what 6 billion people do around the world.

Sept 11th? This guy might be a tax accountant but he is damn stupid. The US was heading for a recession, Septh 11th hastened it. The world economy is in a slump, with a globalized world, every country is affected. Thus so is pakistan, all our aims/goals have to be revised, in response to the current situation.

------------------
                        No remorse
                        Raging on in holy war
                        Soon there値l come a day

Comment

bump!

------------------
                          No remorse
                          Raging on in holy war
                          Soon there値l come a day

Comment

Bump.

------------------
                            No remorse
                            Raging on in holy war
                            Soon there値l come a day

Comment

A so-so article,will post more. There were a few articles I saw that were interesting but were very long, will post them later.

Cotton market lacks buying interest

KARACHI: There was no visible improvement in cotton market's outlook on Monday when ginners continued to receive heavy battering from the spinners.They have begun to realise that they had erred on the side of misplaced reliance by taking the government's promise that the TCP would lift one million bales of lint from them. The fond hope has turned into a big disillusionment.

The TCP has seemingly failed to procure one million bales of lint. There is not even any sign that the Corporation is going to move in that direction with determination and will.So far, the TCP has lifted only 225,000 bales of lint from ginners, say informed sources.

Meanwhile, panic grips the ginners who have been placed in a serious predicament as the absence of any buying interest on the part of spinners and private sector exporters has added to their worries. Between the end of March 2002 and now, the lint price has tumbled by Rs250 to Rs300 per maund, spelling disaster for the ginners.

A ray of hope appeared last week when the spinners and textile mills enhanced their purchases because of attractively low prices. But the demand is inconsistent which lends an element of uncertainty to the disposal of 1.2 million bales of unsold cotton lying with the ginners.

Around 125,000 to 150,000 bales of lint were lifted by the mills from the ginners last fortnight, which was a healthy sign. But the spinners' "now on, now off" policy keeps the ginners guessing about the buyers' next step. This policy is part of the tactics to browbeat the ginners and force them to sell lint on buyers' terms.

The ginners complain that due to this uncooperative attitude of the spinners, they have been forced to sell lint below the cost price, which has led to financial disaster for them.Had the TCP lived up to its commitment, it would have served as a great stabilising factor foiling the spinners' attempt to deprive them of a fair price for their product.

They also criticise the government's ill-conceived policy of allowing free import of foreign cotton at a time when domestic cotton is rotting in the godowns. Costly foreign exchange is being spent on cotton imports at the expense of cotton growers/ ginners. So far, about nine lakh bales of lint have been imported by the spinners from abroad while total import is expected to exceed one million bales. Official spot rate remained pegged at Rs1,600 on Monday. Ready business was nil.

Comment

Working...
                              X