Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Musharraf orders crackdown on 5 million illegal immigrants in Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

President Musharraf orders crackdown on 5 million illegal immigrants in Pakistan

A welcome move, and well overdue. It's about the government of Pakistan took firm action on the many millions who live in our big cities, and abuse our laws and hospitality.

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/may20...main/main1.htm

Musharraf orders crackdown on illegal aliens

President General Pervez Musharraf on Saturday ordered a country-wide crackdown on about five million aliens living in the country illegally and immediate revamping of all intelligence agencies to stop the violent trend of 'serial killings', it is reliably learnt. The decision was taken in the inter-provincial meeting on law and order that was presided over by President General Pervez Musharraf and attended by the four provincial governors, the intelligence agencies' chiefs, police high-ups and other concerned officials. The Federal Investigative Agency (FIA) is being given a new important role in fighting acts of terrorism on the pattern of the FBI. For this purpose, the US has committed to equip the FIA with all the required technology, training and other stuff.

Sources said the government may seek the help of the FBI to strengthen security of foreigners serving in Pakistan. The final decision, in this regard, will be taken later. The sources said the intelligence agencies have been asked to coordinate with each other and immediately submit their recommendations to control the volatile situation, which has exposed their vulnerability and jolted the present government. They said the agencies have been given very short time to do so. The sources said the meeting decided that all foreigners belonging to India, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Iran and Afghanistan, and illegally living in big cities especially in Karachi and Islamabad be arrested and sent back to their countries. They said the law enforcement agencies have been asked to arrest and take action against them under the Foreign Act. They said the intelligence agencies in the meeting reported that actually 'serial killings' plan was being executed in Punjab and Sindh and the government needed to make its policy taking this trend in view.

They said the law enforcement agencies have been asked to arrest and take action against them under the Foreign Act. They said the intelligence agencies in the meeting reported that actually 'serial killings' plan was being executed in Punjab and Sindh and the government needed to make its policy taking this trend in view. The sources said the meeting also expressed its concern over the poor performance of the law enforcement and intelligence agencies. They said the participants of the meeting were of the view that someone might have tried to exploit the existing environment against the al-Qaeda and committed the act of terrorism in Karachi. It is needed that besides concentrating on the al-Qaeda connection, the concerned agencies must also explore other possibilities and avenues. The sources said it was pointed out that suicide bombings were carried out by the Tamils in Sri Lanka and India, but it was quite a new trend in Pakistan. The meeting noted that there was a strong possibility that someone from other side of the border might have been hired, or someone might have been exploited locally to commit the act of terrorism in Karachi.

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited May 12, 2002).]

Originally posted by Malik73:
    The sources said the meeting decided that all foreigners belonging to India, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Iran and Afghanistan, and illegally living in big cities especially in Karachi and Islamabad be arrested and sent back to their countries
    Interesting. There is a huge influx of illegal immigrants from Bangladeshis in Pakistan for the last many years. Is their omission from this list deliberate or are they considered non-dangerous?

Comment

The sources said the meeting decided that all foreigners belonging to India, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Iran and Afghanistan, and illegally living in big cities especially in Karachi and Islamabad be arrested and sent back to their countries

Strange it is that Pakistan government is hesitant to send hard-core Indian criminals, and even granting a few of them citizenship, but is planning to crack hard on innocent Indian immigrants (who must be muslims and must be there for emotional reasons). Or there could be another theory. Maybe under this disguise, Pak is planning to send some of those in list of 20, back to India, as a facesaver.

Similarly, what is the attitude of Pak govt. towards its own illegal immigrants in Europe and other western countries.

I presume that the real aim is to deport a large number of Afghanistanis. It is rightly pointed out above that no. 2 in the list of illegal immigrants will be Bangladeshis, but they are ommitted. Old time brotherhood, maybe.

Comment

I am also surprised to see Sri Lanka in the list. Is there a sizeable number of illegal immigrants from Sri Lanka to make Pakistani officials worried, I doubt it? The possibility is that they are using Sri Lanka to show a link with production of suicide bombers, rather than their own Jihad factory?

Comment

Originally posted by dhir:
          Old time brotherhood, maybe.
          Are you jealous of the fact if we show any brotherhood for the Bangladeshi's? Typical Indian envy...

Comment

I am surprised, cos the same brotherhood is not shown towards Indian muslims (afterall we too were one not so long ago), who too would be there in Pakistan cos of emotional reaons for sure and not economic reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by dhir:
              I am surprised, cos the same brotherhood is not shown towards Indian muslims (afterall we too were one not so long ago), who too would be there in Pakistan cos of emotional reaons for sure and not economic reasons.
              It is believe me, if you live in urban Sindh you would realise that. Pakistan will always be a safe haven for Muslims fleeing persecution by the Hinduvta forces in India. Something which you are highlighting by pointing to the fact of Indian Muslims in Pakistan.

Comment

Definitely something that should be done.

I just hope this lasts,and it not a temporary move, destined to be a just a memory a few months from now.

Comment

[B]A welcome move, and well overdue. It's about the government of Pakistan took firm action on the many millions who live in our big cities, and abuse our laws and hospitality.

I wonder if Pakistani govt is reading these threads. Take a look at the attached link to see why !!!!

http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/Forum4/HTML/003685.html

Anyway, it's never too late.

Comment

I just hope the US government applies the same diligence in throwing out the illegal immigrants within our shores as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaltahai:
                      I just hope the US government applies the same diligence in throwing out the illegal immigrants within our shores as well.
                      Ya right!Wasn't Bush about to make all the Mexican illegals legal?

Either way, the 'illegals'in Pak are much,much different than those in the US.

Comment

Hey, I didn't realise, but I just got promoted to Senior Member!!!
                        I should have made my 100th post a tad more interesting. Anyway, what better way of bringing up one's century than supporting the stalwart of these boards, Malik73.

Reminds me a bit of when Imran used to come in after top order had collapsed and shepherd the tailenders!!

Comment

This statement caught my eye: "or someone might have been exploited locally to commit the act of terrorism in Karachi."

Comment

Originally posted by alooparatha:
                            Hey, I didn't realise, but I just got promoted to Senior Member!!!
                            I should have made my 100th post a tad more interesting. Anyway, what better way of bringing up one's century than supporting the stalwart of these boards, Malik73.

Reminds me a bit of when Imran used to come in after top order had collapsed and shepherd the tailenders!!

Thank you alooparatha.

But seriously I believe that the government of Pakistan should have a national policy to repatriate the 5 million immigrants, as we should not be expected to solely bear the burden of regional conflicts. This it seems to be actioning now. At the same time we must bring back the 300,000 Bihariís from Bangladesh, and always keep our doors open to our oppressed brothers from occupied Kashmir. Where necessary we must provide sanctuary to Indian Muslims who are fleeing unparalleled persecution in India, as in the continuing slaughter in Gujrat. But that should be it, as we can simply not afford to house millions upon millions of non-Pakistaniís.

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited May 13, 2002).]

Comment

Thank you alooparatha.

But seriously I believe that the government of Pakistan should have a national policy to repatriate the 5 million immigrants, as we should not be expected to solely the bear the burden of regional conflicts. This it seems to be actioning now. At the same time we must bring back the 300,000 Bihariís from Bangladesh, and always keep our doors open to our oppressed brothers from occupied Kashmir. Where necessary we must provide sanctuary to Indian Muslims who are fleeing unparalleled persecution in India, as in the continuing slaughter in Gujrat. But that should be it, as we can simply not afford to house millions upon millions of non-Pakistaniís.

We have done enough for'Indian Muslims'! It is NOT our responsibility! India ia seprate country that we have no responsibility for.

If you say we morally' should take in Indian Muslims, then we should 'morally' take in Cechen Muslims,Palestinian Muslims,EVRY oppresed group of Muslims!

This killing is only going on in Gujrat, they can go to other parts of India that are safer for them!Pakistan has literraly taken in millions of people,enough is enough!

[This message has been edited by RealDeal (edited May 13, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                              X