No announcement yet.

One killed several injured in bomb blasts during political protest in Karachi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One killed several injured in bomb blasts during political protest in Karachi

http://www.dawn.com/2002/05/02/welcome.htm

Islamabad, May 02: A child was killed and several people were injured after two separate bomb blasts rocked Karachi early today as a political strike shutdown karachi. Two explosions occurred in the defence area. Cars and shops in the city were also damaged overnight ahead of the strike called by Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) party. Soldiers and paramilitary forces were dispatched following the explosions. MQM has a history of violent confrontations with the government and political rivals. It called the strike to protest the murder of two of its former legislators. (DPA) (Updated @ 14:30 PDT)

yeah

more murders in the defense of past murders -- platform of MQM.

Urgh - I hate saying this as I uphold the value of LIFE, but I wish someone would just shoot altaf hussain -- that's the only way to make him understand what he's putting other pple thru.
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
      yeah

more murders in the defense of past murders -- platform of MQM.

Urgh - I hate saying this as I uphold the value of LIFE, but I wish someone would just shoot altaf hussain -- that's the only way to make him understand what he's putting other pple thru.
      Karachi is going down the toilet.
      Here's a question, who is most likely responsible for this attack on them and why?
      And, how many mohajirs actually support MQM?

Comment

Originally posted by Adnan Ahmed:
        Karachi is going down the toilet.
        Here's a question, who is most likely responsible for this attack on them and why?
        And, how many mohajirs actually support MQM?

Secretly, 99% of them have a soft spot for Altaf "bhai". They just will never admit it.

Comment

Until the Paki govt realizes that non-muslim, non-sunni non-punjabi, and non-rich have a right to live as well as anyone, that whole country is going down the toilet.

Dont you notice it ? You see it blatantly on the threads - one thread on how the pashtuns have been misused by the govt, one on how karachi is suffering, some on sindhi neglect, kashmir misuse, etc etc etc...if Pakistan doesn't watch out for its people, every province WILL become Bangladesh.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
            Until the Paki govt realizes that non-muslim, non-sunni non-punjabi, and non-rich have a right to live as well as anyone, that whole country is going down the toilet.

Dont you notice it ? You see it blatantly on the threads - one thread on how the pashtuns have been misused by the govt, one on how karachi is suffering, some on sindhi neglect, kashmir misuse, etc etc etc...if Pakistan doesn't watch out for its people, every province WILL become Bangladesh.

Agreed, but lets define who this "Pakistan" is that should be watching out for its people. I dont blame it all on the govt. Neglect is a result of many factors. Political parties, strong lobby's, the religous clery, Feudal land lord etc etc...List goes on for miles. Its all tied together with with the economy, the education system, the regional stability... I think the Pak govt does realize what you have advised they should realize. But its all the said groups above that work to undermine the progress made. The religious Fundos dont want to see any changes because that would undermine them, neither do the landlords and politicians. The Political parties like MQM and others are only there to cause trouble. I get the impresion that they want to have this kind of publc attention, keep themselves in the lime light.

Comment

well, the MQM is at it again!

These guys need to be finished off or else they will continue to terrorize Karachi forever!

Comment

Thank you MQM, we know youre back!!

Time to bring back Nusrullah Babar!!!

Some interesting stories...

The popular FM radio station in Pakistan FM-100 started transmission in Karachi at the time when Nusrallah Baber was cutting down on the MQM, killing guys like Faheem Commando etc... There was a caller who called on FM-100 and went 'Nusrallah baber ke liye paighaam hai, un ki boori tyaar hai' (We have a msg for Nusruallah Baber, his body bag is ready)!

When the PML govt talked about violence in Karachi, the MQM (their ally at that time) in the senate questioned the PML if they were planning on brining the former PPP based interior minister back to crack down on them, and the PPP senators seated there started clapping.

I think they need someone like Nusrullah Baber again before Karachi becomes a bloodbath... In any case, its going to be a bloodbath though!

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                  Thank you MQM, we know youre back!!

Time to bring back Nusrullah Babar!!!

Some interesting stories...

The popular FM radio station in Pakistan FM-100 started transmission in Karachi at the time when Nusrallah Baber was cutting down on the MQM, killing guys like Faheem Commando etc... There was a caller who called on FM-100 and went 'Nusrallah baber ke liye paighaam hai, un ki boori tyaar hai' (We have a msg for Nusruallah Baber, his body bag is ready)!

When the PML govt talked about violence in Karachi, the MQM (their ally at that time) in the senate questioned the PML if they were planning on brining the former PPP based interior minister back to crack down on them, and the PPP senators seated there started clapping.

I think they need someone like Nusrullah Baber again before Karachi becomes a bloodbath... In any case, its going to be a bloodbath though!

MY GOD!!! I thought I would never say it,
                  bit I agree with Spock!!!

Comment

Musharraf will NEVER move against MQM. He would rather let American bombs kill every Pashtun in Pakistan then hurt his mohajir thugs.

Comment

What do Sindhi's here think of the MQM's alliance with Jeay Sindh and talking about Sindhi 'brothers' and Sindh is their concern, etc?

Temporary, or real change of heart?

Comment

Hello everyone...

Farid, the only way to stop this from happening again is to crack down hard on the MQM. I have relatives living in Karachi, who are mainly in the automobile spare parts business. You know what they tell me, they are forced to shut down their shops in cases of strikes as the MQM literally comes and threatens and abuses them, sometimes they even get extortion money out of them. No one is willing to sacrifice their business at the behest of some stupid MQM strike calls but when it comes to their lives, they have to. Although they are not supporters of the PPP, they do praise the efforts of the PPP in the past to take out the MQM sponsored terrorism.

Andhra, infact Mr. Musharraf is acting against the MQM, there are reports that 400 workers of the MQM were improsined...
                        http://www.dawn.com/2002/05/03/top8.htm

KARACHI, May 2: Police raided the head office of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement on Thursday morning in Azizabad and picked up former senators Aftab Shaikh, Nasreen Jalil and ex- provincial minister for labour, Shoaib Bokhari.

The raid was conducted around 4:15am, when a police party headed by town police officer, Irfan Shaikh, and DSP Latif Siddiqui raided the party's head office, commonly known as 'nine- zero', a police official said.

Police took the three leaders away with them. Later in the day Aftab Shaikh and Nasreen Jalil were set at liberty. However, the police sources said the provincial home department had terminated the validity of the parole of Shoaib Bokhari and he was sent back to jail, as he was an under-trial prisoner.

Dr Farooq Sattar told Dawn that till 6pm about 400 party activists and their family members had been taken in police custody. "They have been detained at different police stations and CIA centres".

He said senior party leaders, Aftab Shaikh, Nasreen Jalil and Shoaib Bukhari were arrested after a police raid at the party headquarters. He added that Aftab Shaikh and Nasreen Jalil were released, while Shoaib Bukhari had been given in jail custody.

Dr Sattar claimed that police raided at his residence and the residences of other party leaders including Waseem Akhtar and Khalid Bin Walid. He said that about 200 party activists and supporters had been picked up by law enforcing agencies in Karachi alone. He termed the arrests indiscriminate and against the policy declared by the government.

To a question he said that government had asked his party to change the decision to observe a day of mourning and strike. He mentioned that the mourning day and strike were observed overwhelmingly by the people of Sindh in a peaceful manner.

However, DIG Karachi Tariq Jamil said: "We have arrested some 40 suspects for their involvement in criminal activities. We have not prepared any lists of criminals nor have we launched a crackdown targeting any political or other party."

He maintained that police had arrested only those involved in disturbing peace and did not make unjustified arrests. However, the sources in police said that more than 100 people were picked up in the city and their houses were raided by police.

The house of Abdul Sattar, a Dawn staffer, in New Karachi was also raided in the morning by a police party led by Inspector Taufiq Zahid. He said police had ransacked his house and picked him up along with his three brothers for unknown reasons.

He said the police broke the doors of his house and policemen in plain clothes abused his family members. He identified himself to those who had entered forcibly, but they did not pay heed to what said and dragged him and his brothers to a police mobile van, where Inspector Taufeeq Zahid was present. When Sattar introduced himself to Taufeeq Zahid, he let him off along with his brothers.

Police also conducted several raids in New Karachi, North Karachi, Liaquatabad, Jamshed Road, Nazimabad, and other areas. Police in plain clothes raided and ransacked houses and abused families.

Comment

Notcie the typical Mohajir tilt in the last paragraph by DAWN. Looks like their journalist is an active member of MQM.

It pays to have your own people in important places.

[This message has been edited by Faraz Mir (edited May 04, 2002).]

Comment

FM-100 with death threats over the air? Wow, that's some talk radio. You can't even say that kind of thing on shortwave radio in the USA! The wild west nothin', the wild east is more like it!

[This message has been edited by TOMASSO (edited May 04, 2002).]

Comment

dude MQM may have some good political points to stress - Sindhis should get the respect they deserve - I mean check out shor sharaaba, apparently know one knows who sachal is and he is the bulleya shah of sindh!

But the methodology of MQM is MESSED up. They have this misconceived notion for some reason that sectarian violence will get them somewhere and that it will be beneficial to karachi - oh yeah, strikes are definitely boosting karachi's economy!

Comment

Working...
                              X