Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karachi

Salaam all,
    Karachi is suppose to be the business and commercial capital of Pakistan and the (New York) of Pakistan(prior to 9/11), but the violence that has outraged the city since the last decade I believe is very horrifying and also throughout the world but can i ask why is karachi recognized as a bad city from the west and does anyone here support MQM? I dont!

And does anyone have any suggestions on how karachi can become a (new york) of Pakistan?
    I dont know im just curious to ask these questions cuz i have heard alot of bs from news and on the net.

I think Karachi is perhaps on of the best cities of Asia... It has a lot of potential but lack of leadership.
    I would support the MQM if they weren't so violent. Everything they do results in violent protest. There workers are more like thugs then actual political activists. I heard that during the protest they had the other day, they forced many shop owners to comply. MQM can do a lot for the city if it cleans up its act.
    From the way I see it, Karachis problems can only be fixed if it has the right leadership. Then it need the right funding.
    With the right funding it needs to improve the police training drastically. It needs to build alternative power and water sources. For Water, it should try to look into converting sea water. The kind of water plant is very expensive, but will save the city tons and tons of money in the long run. Another thingthat i have been interested in, is off-shore wind generation. They are experimenting with this in Cape Cod USA. The benefits of offshore wind generators are many as compared to the ones on shore. This is expensive, but the city will again save tons of money in the long run. Karachi also is in desperate need of a traportation sytem. In this case I think it is in the best interest of everyone to leave this to some independant provate company. It has been shown that in many countries, private companies do a much better job then govt. Look at Sattar Edhis Ambulance service for example. The govt should simply motivate private investors by giving the the right incentives. The govt should really really promote the use of any public transport system because this will reduce trafiic, thus lessening pollution and everything else associated with cars.
    The govt should also be more active in going after illegal land acquirments, and land grabbers. They should be active in prosecuting building code offenders.
    Last, the city needs beautification. In New York there are many such private organizations funded by the govt. that go around planting flowers, trees, bushes and other plants in traffic circles and other places. They really make a difference. Karachites should be motivated to make their city beautiful. That means ticketing people that litter (this would also produce more revenue for the city). The govt should also leave the task of garbage disposal to private companies.
    I also believe that with the completion of Gawadar, Karachi will see a lot more improvements aswell. Its to soon to tell, but, I think Karachi will gain many benefits from the way the regional situation is shaping up.
    Im not sure if Karachi can be the next New York any time soon, but it will certainly be the next Hong Kong of South Asia (Hong Kong is more efficient then New York from what i have heard).

Comment

For some stupid reason, many northerners are dead set ag/Karachi moving forward.

All that you've described could have been happening a long time ago, but its not just internal conflict, its external conflict as well.
      I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
        For some stupid reason, many northerners are dead set ag/Karachi moving forward.

All that you've described could have been happening a long time ago, but its not just internal conflict, its external conflict as well.
        Yes, shame on us northerners....

But not to sound like a cynic or to aggravate any of the Southerners...But, weren't Bhuttos and Nawaz from the Suth?

Comment

Karachi will never achieve anything like its full potential as long as MQM goons go around killing, torturing and spreading their terror using all soorts of methods.

Comment

nawaz sharif is punjabi, where have u been?

Yes BB is sindhi, but if you knew anything, you know that the last province supporting her is sindh -- she actually kisses up more to punjabis than sindhis becuz she knows the control is in punjab.
            I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

The only person who didn't kiss up to Punjabis was murdered.

ZA Bhutto of course.

Comment

Well I guess Pakistan is Screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Faraz Mir:
                  The only person who didn't kiss up to Punjabis was murdered.

ZA Bhutto of course.
                  A lot of Punjabis supported Bhutto, and HATED Zia. My father actually had to leave Pakistan because was active in PPP, despite being Punjabi. I personally HATE bhutto for what he did to the Ahmedis but thats my oppinion. My family lost a lot because of Zia. So I take extra offense when some Jack ass Sindhi blames his death on us.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
                    nawaz sharif is punjabi, where have u been?

Yes BB is sindhi, but if you knew anything, you know that the last province supporting her is sindh -- she actually kisses up more to punjabis than sindhis becuz she knows the control is in punjab.
                    Well, if your own politicians are to corupt to support your people, then how is it the fault of Punjab?

Comment

Well Karachi, and its problems can easily be blamed on the on the MQM and the sindhis as well. It takes two to tango. The problem with the politicians is that they don't take responsibility themselves. They rather blame the other group. MQM and PPP and the indepedence for sindh movements are all to blame.

------------------
                      I知 just a freedom fighter
                      No remorse
                      Raging on in holy war
                      Soon there値l come a day
                      When you池e face to face with me
                      You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Originally posted by CM:
                        Well Karachi, and its problems can easily be blamed on the on the MQM and the sindhis as well. It takes two to tango. The problem with the politicians is that they don't take responsibility themselves. They rather blame the other group. MQM and PPP and the indepedence for sindh movements are all to blame.

POLITICIANS blame other groups?!! Whose a politician here?!!

CM have you ever live in Karachi?
                        If so I assume by you comments you are a MQM supporter.

Anybody who knows anything Karachi knows about all the MQM crime, extortion,torture houses, etc.

Many other people are corrupt, but they don't go around killing and torturing like the MQM!

ALthough I'm sure you'll say its a 'peaceful' movement!

Comment

Great realdeal. First I have never seen PTV according to you, now I am an MQM supporter, and have not lived in Pakistan at all. Brilliant. I wonder why I even post here anymore, the intellectual level is less that 10. Heck the americans are more intellectually stimulating.

Anyway on to your post. I am not refering to posters here, i am refering to political parties that blame each other for the problems, but never ever take responsibility for the actions of their members or their leaders. Have i lived in Karachi? No. I have visited many times.

Just because I said, it takes two to tango, and that all parties are to blame I am a MQM supporter? Real DealI suggest you do a search and read my comments on the MQM.

Well here is a typical example of what I am talking about. It is all the MQM, they are the worst. The Sindhi movements don't do anything of the sort right? They are perfect angels! Frankly I see both to blame and that they all deserve to be shot.

------------------
                          No remorse
                          Raging on in holy war
                          Soon there値l come a day

Comment

NOBODY is an angel in Pak.But the fact is that some are worse than others.

The FACT is that MQM have done more damage to Karachi than ANYONE. Ask any objective person who has lived there.

Until BB cracked down on them their were dead bodies all over Karachi! (and no I'm not a BB supporter, but even her detractors such as 'Spock' admit this)

If MQM had their way Karachi would either be a Asian version of Somalia, or not be part of Pak anymore. I suggest you find out more about them as through your few visits, you don't seem to realize what they have done to Karachi.

Comment

Some are worse than others, well isn't that a blanket statement. I still say both are equally responsible. The sindhi movements and the MQM share equal blame for the whole issue. The MQM is worse, but it does commit acts in a vaccum.

Yes there were dead bodies all over karachi, but was it just the MQM? You serious believe that the violence was one sided? Hell no. I don't care about what the MQM wants, as it is not going to happen. Thus I am not discussing it.

------------------
                              No remorse
                              Raging on in holy war
                              Soon there値l come a day

Comment

Working...
                              X