X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White House Backs Pakistan Elections

Free & Fair
    http://pakistandaily.com/p/98/69f40429d159.html

WASHINGTON (AP) The White House on Thursday called for ``free and fair'' elections in Pakistan, where a referendum that kept President Pervez Musharraf in office for five more years was decried as a fraud.

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer did not discuss the outcome itself, but said the United States ``stands squarely behind'' democratic, civilian rule achieved through constitutional means.

``We look forward to the holding of free and fair national and divisional elections in October, as ordered by the Supreme Court and agreed to by President Musharraf,'' Fleischer said.

Final results published Wednesday showed 97.7 percent of Pakistani voters backed Musharraf, who took power in a 1999 coup. Turnout was over 50 percent.

Musharraf has sided with the United States in the Afghan war.

The independent Human Rights Commission of Pakistan said referendum organizers loyal to the government allowed widespread cheating. The group said it had videotaped evidence that some people voted several times and others, such as prisoners, civil servants or those with business ties to the government, were coerced into voting.

A commission representative, Asma Jehangir, said the group plans to expose the alleged fraud to the world community, rather than challenge the results before the Supreme Court. The high court last week ruled the referendum legal.

Take Your Best Shot At Me

Kaafi afsoos ki baat hai.

When US was stumped in Florida, we had laughed at them. They can't even count votes. When Mugabe rigged the elections we criticized him for his stubbornness. When India holds elections for puppet government in Kashmir we mock them.

And now look at us. Everyone in the world is reading about this fiasco in Pakistan. They have made it a joke. US, didn't even recognize the referendum and is talking about October.

Who is to blame? Did Musharraf gained anything, except to make Pakistan stand out as a state which can not even arrange for fair and transparent voting? Proper 'voting' is the cornerstone of all democratic systems. If you can't get that right, you can't build up credible, respected government.

The election commission says 76% voter turn out. 95% in favor of Musharraf. Allah ka shukr hai, they didn't keep on counting till 100% electorate is accounted for.

Comment

Dont pounce on me about this, but I am beginning to see your point. Perhaps The Mush should have chosen to hold an election and then fight in it fairly.

hmm...lekin you know what? Jo Ho Gaya, Soh Ho Gaya...lets hope that he keeps up his good work and does not fall into the temptation of greed, like others in the past have.

Nayi Sadi Aagayi, Bismillah karo.
      I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
        The Mush
        hehe

In my view, 'The Mush' lost something in this fiasco, and didn't gain anything at all.

Lets see how the in-coming Parliament treat him. Hopefully he won't take this joke to his head and try to get properly elected as President in the way it is prescribed in the '73 constitution.

I do think he is the right man for the job, though.

Comment

I used to think Perveez Mushraaf is the best bet for Pakis, but I am having my doubts now.

I mean, what did he/Pakistan gain by this One-Candidate Decision Fiasco?

If he thinks this gives him any kind of Legitimacy then............

I would much prefer he go back and lead the Army for another Kargil!!!!

He would have done much better by getting his rule stamped for 5 more years by Supreme Court puppets, do whatever he wants to do and quit!!!!

Comment

Andhra, tu Mush ko support karta hai?

hmm...interesting

I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Many expect the Oct elections to be pretty
              well rigged as well. another black eye for Pak in a few months?

Comment

Pyari, Read the post again.
                I said I 'USED TO' support him.
                The bit about Kargil was sarcasm.
                I think he made a stupid mistake by this referndum.
                I think he went for this Referendum with the same attitude as he went into Kargil.

No thoughts of future events!!

I mean, Referendum is done. What did it achieve?

Comment

Andhra used to support Musharraf. LOL>>LOL>>LOL>>LOL. How come Indians support Musharraf?

Comment

Onething I didnt understand...Please help me understand this.
                    Whenever I visted thsi website,I always foudn Musharraf was verty popular.(Till he announced referendum)..I was wondering if that guy was so popular then why didnt he made a political party and then fought a legitimate elction and won it..
                    Whether he was so dumb?
                    or people here at GS dont represent the true feeling of general pakistanis??

why he needed to use backdoor to power?

Comment

Originally posted by andha_qanoon:
                      Whenever I visted thsi website,I always foudn Musharraf was verty popular.(Till he announced referendum)..I was wondering if that guy was so popular then why didnt he made a political party and then fought a legitimate elction and won it..
                      Whether he was so dumb?

Many people were giving him the benefit of the doubt. This referendum has shown what he is really like, (for those who didn't realize)

If there was a proper election he would not win. That is why he resorts to this method. Power hungry dictator, that's it.

Comment

I would like to hear from strong supporters like Abdlai and paskitan tiger etc also???

Comment

Andha, serving officers cannot form political parties in Pakistan... Do you think he would retire, give in his position as the COAS and risk making a party? Wheres the logic in that?

There was an online referundum here, Musharraf won, but sadly people still seem to think he could never have won. All opinion polls (online and not online) declared him as the victor, then what further doubts can we have). In my opinion, he had the support of about 65% of the people...

The fact that Indians fear his extension of power speaks for itself... Dont tell me India is concerned for Pakistan's well being...

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                            Andha, serving officers cannot form political parties in Pakistan... Do you think he would retire, give in his position as the COAS and risk making a party? Wheres the logic in that?

There was an online referundum here, Musharraf won, but sadly people still seem to think he could never have won. All opinion polls (online and not online) declared him as the victor, then what further doubts can we have). In my opinion, he had the support of about 65% of the people...

The fact that Indians fear his extension of power speaks for itself... Dont tell me India is concerned for Pakistan's well being...
                            Well he should retire if he wana be politician. Its not matter of what is convenient for him.Its an Issue of what is morally and constituitionally right...
                            Paskitan is not becouse of Musharraf..Musharraf is becouse of Paksitan.

[This message has been edited by andha_qanoon (edited May 03, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by andha_qanoon:
                              Whether he was so dumb?

Forget it! Musharraf will never made a political party. I was watching his interview in NightLine with Talat Hussain in which he clearly said that he will never come into the dirt of politics. I think he made a nice & talented move by not seeking any help from any political parties, specially those who boycotted Referendum

Comment

Working...
                              X