A Sonia for Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Sonia for Pakistan

It seems that Indians have accepted the leadership of Sonia Gandhi, a white Italy born lady, may become PM by next elections.

Is the same possible in Pakistan?
    That, some white European lady accepts Islam, marries to some prominent personality of Pakistan like the one married to Imran Khan, gets citizenship, enters politics and lead the country.

What do u mean by white?? fair skinned or european? for pakistani president it is must to be a muslim and and have pakistan nationality.

Comment

anand- do you think America would accept any leading politician marrying a Pakistani Muslim? A American version of 'Jemima'?
      I think not! That persons career would be over!!

Comment

well, that's becuz Pakistani muslims aren't really united in America...Jeb Bush of Florida has a cuban wife...but she has integrated into American society and Cubans have a stronghold in South Florida - so it was actually beneficial for him to have a cuban wife...now if Pakistani muslims would just unite, then maybe things in America would be a bit different for us.
        I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

My ex-best friend's name is sonia...*shudders thinking of a sonia for Pakistan*

Comment

Originally posted by reza khan:
            What do u mean by white?? fair skinned or european? for pakistani president it is must to be a muslim and and have pakistan nationality.
            Well to the best of my knowledge, Jemima cannot legally become President. The President in Pakistan is the Head of State - and Islamically, a woman cannot be head of state. The Constitution refers specifically to the post of president with masculiline terms, whilst Article 227 would prevent any consitutional changes to allow a woman to become President.

The most Jemima can become is Prime Minister.

A woman cannot legally be President. The most someone like Jemima can aspire to is Prime Minister.
            Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
            Al-Ghazali

Comment

totally disagree with Mad Sci, all rules are written in 'masculine terms'.

If we had a Presidential system of govt when BB was elected she would have been Prez, and the fact that she is a woman would have had nothing to do with it.

Comment

When has any constitution stopped any Pakistani Leaders in the Past? Wasn't it Zia who said something about the constitution being a 10-11 pieces paper that he can tear up anytime? Didn't Ayub gift the 1st constitution to Paksitan? So who knows, tomorrow we may have another one person constitutional amendment.
                Jemima for President!! You heard it here first!!

Comment

Prime Minister, Chaudhry Muhammad Ali gave Pakistan its first constitution in 1956. With this the Constituent Assembly of Pakistan became interim National Assembly and Governor General Iskandar Mirza was sworn in as the first President of Pakistan.

After that there were many PMs and Presidents with their own version of constitution.

Comment

When you are right you are right! Abdali is right. The first constitution was in 1956 which was abrogated by Ayub in 1958.

Comment

I dont agree that women cannot be head of state islamically - this "rule" is based on one hadith, and the legitamacy of that is debatable. If there is a quranic verse, then do pm it to me, mad sci - i'd like to see it.

Islam is pretty direct in all its rules...something like saying that a woman cannot lead or be head of state is a pretty big rule, and if God intended , it would be written in the Quran explicitly.

As far as the political perspective goes, BB was a woman and prime minister and I dont know if you've noticed, but the PM holds much more power, realistically , than the prez - presidents in pakistan have historically been nothing more than puppets. In addition, Pakistan is no more an Islamic state than the US. We all know what really goes on in Pakistan and we all know the where the standards of "superficial morality" stands in Pakistan today.

Nope sorry. In a country like Pakistan, female leaders hold a greater potential in leading the country to higher ground than men do.

Comment

Well Said PG.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
                          I dont agree that women cannot be head of state islamically - this "rule" is based on one hadith, and the legitamacy of that is debatable. If there is a quranic verse, then do pm it to me, mad sci - i'd like to see it.

Islam is pretty direct in all its rules...something like saying that a woman cannot lead or be head of state is a pretty big rule, and if God intended , it would be written in the Quran explicitly.

As far as the political perspective goes, BB was a woman and prime minister and I dont know if you've noticed, but the PM holds much more power, realistically , than the prez - presidents in pakistan have historically been nothing more than puppets. In addition, Pakistan is no more an Islamic state than the US. We all know what really goes on in Pakistan and we all know the where the standards of "superficial morality" stands in Pakistan today.

Nope sorry. In a country like Pakistan, female leaders hold a greater potential in leading the country to higher ground than men do.

then why werent Prophet(PBUH) wife was made the ruler of the state, and why was a male chosen for being the first caliph. You are wrong. If what uare saying had been a case, then we would have seen a women ruler in the early islamic ages. And please tell me more, what do think of women as a military leader.

Comment

I'm not enough of a Islamic expert to comment on that part, but as for a women as a military leader, no military in the WORLD would allow that.

Many ban them from large sections of the Army, such as the combat units. The UK does and I think the US does.

Comment

I dont believe in women fighting in a war -- that much Islam does support via the Quran

Let me explain the reasoning: in battle tensions run high, and we're all adult enough to know that a little foreplay and afterplay can do a lot to ease a man and woman's tension. Hence, how are u supposed to fight to the maximum of your ability if a woman is in a tank, sitting next to you, and you just can't help wondering how some sexual interaction would feel. Meanwhile, while you're fooling around, a missile is fired at your tank, and you die. So how did a woman's presence help at all?

Women in leadership is different all together...there she is contributing intellectually, not physically. And we all know that in realistic warfare, leaders dont go in and fight usually unless if the situation is extreme. Thus, nothing wrong with female military leadership. The only thing that can stand in the way, in that sense, is the mental block that men place for woman contributing anyway in military operations. If men open their minds, ideally you would see that a woman works as great as a man.

Same thing in political leadership.

As for the historical proof -- actually you do see female leadership in Rasul's time. Have you forgotten Khadija's leadership role in converting people to Islam? Have you forgotten her proposal to the Rasul (that's leadership quality right there, if you ask me). Have u forgotten the role of Aishaa as a prominent scholar? There was one woman who actually led a battle against some guy (this one, sadly, I can't remember details of). Have u forgotten bibi what's her name, that stood out and w/o fear made a speech after the Karballa massacre of the fate of muslim society from that point onward?

The problem isn't that history has no examples of women's support and leadership in Islamic civilization. The problem is that light has never been shed on these subjects, especially in Pakistan. And the male-oriented cultural mentality is more what contributes to the "women can't be leaders" idea.

As for why the next caliph wasn't a woman...well, honestly there is a debate as to who Muhammed has ordained to be the next caliph and whether it was just a recommendation or an actual mandate (hence, sunni vs. shia). Thus, to say that why he chose a man is proof that a woman is not permitted to lead is ridiculous. If he had chosen a woman, then by the same logic, I could say that all leaders can only be women, or precisely half of the leaders must be women and half men.

This is absolutely a ridiculous conjecture from the proof provided. A leader is a leader when he/she can lead, not when he/she possesses male genitilia. Male genitals have no effect on how you do a job as a leader. If they do, then the results are frightening indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X