Car prices in Pakistan......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car prices in Pakistan......

I couldnt, cant and probably still wont understand why they charge sooo much duty on cars and other motor vehicles. The ones who can afford them, smuggle them in anyways(whitout any duty) so why does the govt. keep charging these obsecely high prices which only make car buying more and more repulsive?

if people started importing cars by the dozens, who will buy the ones assembled within pakistan?

the 200% duty is to encourage and improve use of local resources rather than dishing out pakistani money to other countries for short term luxuries.

that is the incentive. the fact that most people dont follow it, is another thing. the consequences are more than evident from the state pakistan is in today.
    Yaad aaiy jo dard ki raat may, jis ki baat ho apni har baat may.

Comment

Pak Govt. have 200% duty on car import cause car manufacturer have fill bureaucrats bellies up their thorats,if not tell me how many jobs these manufatcturer are providing to local business.and how come cars made in paksitan are costly.prices are same as any western market even though we have the cheapest labor cost in the world?Its a racket......as everything in pakistan is mafia control.

[This message has been edited by Jahanzaib (edited April 25, 2002).]

Comment

so much polution in that country.

its just as well that cars are so expensive.

I say, lets keep going with the old-fashioned 1950 bicycles.
        I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

poor baby PCG!
          Next thing you will say, "lets roll back to good old times and wrap banana leaves around body since clothing is so expensive?(btw i'm all for that)

Comment

lol jehangzaib

i dont think clothes are that expensive...I mean, human race can survive w/o ralph lauren.
            I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

no doubt human race will survive without ralph lauren but women won't survive without clinique !

Comment

we were discussing pakistan car prices,
                it was also noted by Musharraf on japan visit. why cars are expensive in pakistan than japan??
                1. monoply of manufacturers,
                2. low production and delayed deliveries.

3. at the end dealers charge funny money if you want to buy right there and then.

4. they force govt to ban imports and keep up the profits in pak.

5. excise duty and tax on cars manufacturers.
                govt somehow is trying to do some steps lately end of may is deadline to double the production in pak. if the car manufacturer failed govt will allow to import reconditioned cars.

only reconditioned cars are cheaper than pak made new cars.

------------------
                End is Begining!
                پاکستان پاکستان

Comment

Only army generals and (politicians earlier) r allowed to import duty free cars.

Comment

Originally posted by cHEeGUm:
                    if people started importing cars by the dozens, who will buy the ones assembled within pakistan?

the 200% duty is to encourage and improve use of local resources rather than dishing out pakistani money to other countries for short term luxuries.

that is the incentive. the fact that most people dont follow it, is another thing. the consequences are more than evident from the state pakistan is in today.
                    according to the theory of international trade, it is much better to get the good things from outside if they are efficient. economy would grow with free trade, so is the well being. your arguement goes wrong here
                    the game of snakes and ladders captures the eternal truth that for every ladder there is a snake waiting around the corner. and for every snake there a ladder will compensate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahanzaib:
                      Pak Govt. have 200% duty on car import cause car manufacturer have fill bureaucrats bellies up their thorats,if not tell me how many jobs these manufatcturer are providing to local business.and how come cars made in paksitan are costly.prices are same as any western market even though we have the cheapest labor cost in the world?Its a racket......as everything in pakistan is mafia control.

[This message has been edited by Jahanzaib (edited April 25, 2002).]
                      it is about something called labor intensive and capital intensive industries. car making is a labor intesive industry. since the cost of capital is high in pakistan, so the prices for those products are higher
                      the game of snakes and ladders captures the eternal truth that for every ladder there is a snake waiting around the corner. and for every snake there a ladder will compensate.

Comment

They are expensive, but I disagree when people say that there is no demand for cars in Pakistan.

Every year there is a huge shortage of corollas and honda civics in the market. Anyone who wants to buy them has to wait for quite some time unless he wants to pay some black for it. The market for Honda Civic has especially been very healthy, u can see civics all over Pakistan. Its like mobile connections, there is so much demand in pak that the mobile companies like mobilink and ufone have stopped issuing them in order to prevent network congestions.

I went to India in 1991, the only cars I saw at that time were those marutis and ugly white ones which their 'netas' drive. When I asked as to why there werent any other cars, ppl said that the duty was extremely high, much higher than Pakistan. Its good cuz this way ppl might resort to buying Indian made cars, but in Pakistan maybe they tried this, by increasing the duty, but failed as ppl still bought foriegn made cars.

Comment

Originally posted by jaanaan:
                          it is about something called labor intensive and capital intensive industries. car making is a labor intesive industry. since the cost of capital is high in pakistan, so the prices for those products are higher
                          would you please describe breifly what is Labor intensive and capital intensive?

Comment

Wouldnt it be better if foriegn cars were allowed in pakistan. It would help employment and bring technology to our country aswell.......

Comment

Originally posted by Shah Jahan:
                              Wouldnt it be better if foriegn cars were allowed in pakistan. It would help employment and bring technology to our country aswell.......
                              not by imprting cars, by making cars in pakistan you can create jobs. so give more incentive to local industry and investors.

can anyone remember once some ambitious people made effort to make its own cars in pak

Proeffciant was the name

they werent given gas, elect, connection and they have to change its small plant. they busted after hardships becuase they govt wasnt supportive. or may be these people wernt major industerlists but some professional people.

all major barnd in pak are backed by major groups
                              Habib > indus motors
                              Atlas Group > Honda
                              Dewan salman Gp
                              Ghandara(Waseem Akram In laws) > Nissan
                              and other

I wonder why they dont want to produce own brand after first import of technology,

The perfect example is
                              Proton of Malaysia
                              initally transfer of Mitsubishi cars
                              but now they are making own design and cars.
                              even they export to others now such as UK
                              ------------------
                              End is Begining!

[This message has been edited by Shak killS (edited May 02, 2002).]
                              پاکستان پاکستان

Comment

Working...
                              X