• Show
Clear All

Karachi Port To Emerge As Gateway To C. Asia

Wonderful News
    http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?l...fb00088962da78

From Our Correspondent
    04/16/2002

KARACHI- Federal Minister for Communication & Railway Lt. General Javed Ashraf Qazi has said that the government had directed Karachi Port authorities to revitalise its facilities and infrastructure well before the recent geopolitical developments.

He was addressing an inaugural ceremony of Container Terminal at Berths 6-9 here on Monday. The KPT Chairman, Admiral Ahmed Hayat, Director General, Ports & Shipping K.B. Rind were also present on the occasion.

The federal minister said current scenario has provided an opportunity to integrate ourselves in the global shipping sector as a hub connecting Central Asia, Afghanistan and the rest of the world.

"While doing so we shall be in a position to attract traffic to and from middle and the Far East. With Gwadar Port also coming up, we are ready to optimise and market our facilities to meet the shipper's demand and make an impact on the regional sea trade" he added.

Take Your Best Shot At Me

He said the government is facilitating the private sector participation in all fields. The response from local and foreign entrepreneurs is positive and substantial investments have been made in 'oil and gas exploration, infrastructure development, communication and social sectors, he observed.

"These ventures converge towards a common goal of enhanced trade and economic activity, benefit to trade and investors and revenue generation, and ultimately to prop up the economy of the country. The port and its activities are especially apt for private involvement and investment. Ports are about trade and trade is a market activity, best suited to market people", the minister maintained.

"Ports are gateways to economic activity of a country, with livelihoods of millions of people directly and indirectly associated with it. Karachi Port Trust has the added advantage of being financially self- sustaining.The containers are the modern symbol of efficient, safe, and prosperous trade" he said.

"This Container terminal at the East Wharves, is a major step towards improving cargo handling operations. It will help Karachi Port in optimising its strategic potentials in the current regional scenario. With parallel major projects like deepening of channel, reconstruction of OP-11 and planning for deep draught berths at Keamari Groin, Karachi Port is reaching out to broaden its conventional market of national cargo to include regional transit and transhipment cargoes".

He hoped that the private sector will continue to play its role and our collective efforts shall enable Karachi Port to emerge as a gateway not only to Pakistan but also for the region.

Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:

The federal minister said current scenario has provided an opportunity to integrate ourselves in the global shipping sector as a hub connecting Central Asia, Afghanistan and the rest of the world.

"While doing so we shall be in a position to attract traffic to and from middle and the Far East. With Gwadar Port also coming up, we are ready to optimise and market our facilities to meet the shipper's demand and make an impact on the regional sea trade" he added.

He said the government is facilitating the private sector participation in all fields. The response from local and foreign entrepreneurs is positive and substantial investments have been made in 'oil and gas exploration, infrastructure development, communication and social sectors, he observed.
    Did he say all that, including the part about "Take Your Best Shot at Me"?

Anyway, there is a big difference between words and actions. Hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ:
      Did he say all that, including the part about "Take Your Best Shot at Me"?

Anyway, there is a big difference between words and actions. Hope for the best.

LOL Well, you knew it I put my quote in the wrong place

Comment

whew, karachi port has been around how long and NOW that stupid government is realizing the potential of maximizing the utility of the karachi port?

For shame.

I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia:
          whew, karachi port has been around how long and NOW that stupid government is realizing the potential of maximizing the utility of the karachi port?

For shame.

PCQ, you have a point. But if you think a little bit about Gawadar and Karachi Port, it will definitely be in favor of Pakistan. Dollar Matters$$$$$$$. And that's what we want.

Pakistan Wants Trade. Not Aid

Comment

Gawader is needed also because of defence point of view away from indian reach. It will also provide the link to C Asia.
            anyway one major port is not enough for the country of our size.
            Karahi port is already crowded and it also need more investment and planning to be a hub for internationl ships.

------------------
            End is Begining!
            پاکستان پاکستان

Comment

Yeah, Its about time the revamped Karachi. But Gwadar is of the utmost importance, even more so then Karachi port because it will help us pervent Indians from forming a blockade.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:
                [b]Wonderful News
                http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?layout=displaynews&doc_id=NR20020416670.2_1 9fb 00088962da78

Yeah sure! Provided al the hoodlums who hold the entire city hostage can be removed from the gate of the gateway!

Comment

Working...
                X