Re-writing Pakistan's Constitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-writing Pakistan's Constitution

I got this idea in another thread, and I thought it would be a good idea, to see how guppieland fairs in re-writing our pretty bad (IMO) constitution.

Two things we need right off the bat is a "constructive vote of no confidence" and a decision if we want a Presidential system or the present one.

------------------
    Ours is not to reason why;
    Ours is but to do and die
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Whether we go for a Presidential or Prime Ministerial type of government we need to ensure that all our (federal) institutions are adapted for the federal nature of our country. The 1973 constitution does talk about federalism but that has not been put into action. Part of the reason is that we have not given institutions like the Senate the requisite powers. The Senate has an equal number of members to represent each of the four provinces, plus members for FATA and FCT i.e. equality for all provinces and territories in the federation. But since 1973 the Senate has not played a large enough legislative role, especially one that checks and balances the decisions of the National Assembly and government, thereby not fulfilling it's principal aim of championing the voice of the provinces. It has always operated in the shadow of the National Assembly, and all powerful government machinery.

There are plenty of successful federations around the world with very powerful Senate's asserting provincial influence and considerable checks and balances on other institutions. There are the examples of the USA, Germany, Switzerland and Malaysia among many others. Let's have a directly elected Senate, like the National Assembly and not indirectly elected by other parliamentarians, thereby taking away the influence of the big party machines. Like the US Senate give the Senate of Pakistan the power to approve all government appointments i.e. Cabinet, judges, diplomats etc. and approve foreign treaties. Give the Senate legislative equality with the National Assembly including the power to initiate legislation and allow it to veto or amend legislation passed by the other house. The National Assembly would choose the government, but the Senate, the voice of the provinces would ensure that this government was held to account. The government of the day would not be allowed to pass legislation, make appointments and make treaties with foreign governments without the approval of the Senate.

Comment

I agree with Malik.. that the current system can be adapted by minor variations to manage the checks and balances..

the constitutional changes on some aspects must then require almost unanimous approval of the combined sitting of the senate and national assembly.

On the aspect of a presidential system or parliamentary system..

I say we should follow the French mould.. A presidential system.. with a strong parliament as well.. with the Parliament and the Prime Minister keeping check on the Directly elected President .. what the french constitution says is that the prime minister it there to protect the people from the president..

Comment

Implementation is the main problem. If rulers will try to find loop holes then even the best constitution wouldn't work.

Making a constitution might be an easier work but getting all the parties to sign on it would be an impossibe talk. I don't know what Bhutto did to get the signatures of all party leaders.

Comment

CM,

Constitution of Pakistan needs only one change. Any ĎAdventurerí who tries to kick out the elected government should face capital punishment and be hanged publicly.

FARID

Comment

Its the attitudes that are at fault not the constitution. You can put up the best constition in the world and the politicians/Army of Pakistan will be there to break it!

Comment

Farid

----------------
              Sheher mey hoo ka alum tha
              Din tha, ya refrendum tha.

We don't forget...its' just that life goes on!

Comment

Ajee so you find no problem with the constitution at all? Even that it discriminates against Ahmadies?

Edit 1: Ideally that would be a great thing Farid and Fanta. But realistically, would you rather have a person who comes in and corrects the problems unconstitutionally, or one who stays around and robs the country, though constitutionally elected?

------------------

[This message has been edited by CM (edited April 08, 2002).]

Comment

can you please tell

Why stable instituation shouldn`t take over unstable instituation

Comment

Originally posted by CM:
                    Ajee so you find no problem with the constitution at all? Even that it discriminates against Ahmadies?

Edit 1: Ideally that would be a great thing Farid and Fanta. But realistically, would you rather have a person who comes in and corrects the problems unconstitutionally, or one who stays around and robs the country, though constitutionally elected?

As history shows it dictators proves worst than democratic leaders. I don't see Musharraf doing anything different. For me he is as corrupt, so i would prefer a theif elected by people rather than a self-imposed daaku.

Comment

Really Coke bottle! I would beg to differ. Under the military rule we have had more economic development then during the 10 to 11 years of the despots, wouldn't you agree?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by CM:
                        Really Coke bottle! I would beg to differ. Under the military rule we have had more economic development then during the 10 to 11 years of the despots, wouldn't you agree?

If increase in foreign exchange (by means of foreign aid and loans) is economic progress to u then what can i say

Comment

That is not the only form of economic development larki!! You women!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by CM (edited April 08, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by CM:
                            That is not the only form of economic development larki!! You women!!!

Did i say this is the only form of development you man? Living in Pakistan the good and bad of economy directly effects us, so we know when its good and bad. Believe me at the moment its not going for good.

Comment

Never said it was going all well these days, however i am speaking in historical terms, has Pakistan not developed more during past military leaderships than under the despots?

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X