Law to ban third term for PM under study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..not been able to curb popularity of two major poliitical parties - and afraid that he dont have any chance if fair elections are held ..now dictator has sought cheap means of trying to force this law ..
    http://www.dawn.com/2002/04/14/top5.htm

By Qudssia Akhlaq

ISLAMABAD, April 13: The government is considering promulgation of an ordinance to prevent re-election of any political leader as prime minister for a third term.

Sources close to the Chief Executive Secretariat told Dawn on Friday that a draft ordinance barring political leaders from election to the prime ministerial slot for a third time, was in the offing.

When contacted, Federal Law secretary Mansur Khan declined to admit or deny if such an ordinance was under consideration. "I refuse to answer your question," was his agitated response when querried about the draft ordinance on Thursday.

Information Secretary Anwer Mehmud told Dawn on Friday that such an ordinance was not in his knowledge.

The sources said the proposed ordinance was in line with President Gen Pervez Musharraf's repeated public statements that Nawaz Sharif and Benazir Bhutto would not be allowed, at any cost, to contest the forthcoming general elections.

Constitutional experts speculated that promulgation of the proposed ordinance might trigger petitions before the Supreme Court, seeking its orders to set aside the ordinance as being violative of the Constitution.

On Friday, this scribe tried to contact Federal Information Minister Nisar Memon and Minister of Law and Justice Dr Khalid Ranjha to seek their reaction to the proposed draft ordinance, but they were both not in the town. Even the spokesperson for the Ministry of Law, Syed Sultan Shah, was also out of station.

The proposed law targets the two former premiers, Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif, who represent PPP and PML -- country's two major political parties.

Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Originally posted by Degas:

..not been able to curb popularity of two major poliitical parties -
    Ah perfect chance to put those questions to you again that you keep trying to dodge, from thread to thread. Here goes again.

1) I am sure all of us would like to see the factual proof of this claim of "popularity" of these leaders, if you have any that is? Please bring forward your figures for all to see. The fact is that NS and BB have never in their terms as PM's ever come close to winning even a 'significant majority of the votes' in Pakistan. In the 1988, 1990 and 1993 elections Benazir and Nawaz's parties only averaged some 15% of the votes of the total electorate is that what you call a 'significant majority'?

In fact so disillusioned were the people of Pakistan with these two that in the 1997 election 74% of the Pakistani electorate did not even come out to vote on Election Day. This resulted in Nawaz winning the Premiership with a mere 11% of the total electorate, and Benazir barely scraping a pathetic 5%. Hence at the last election nearly 85% of the Pakistani electorate did not vote for Nawaz or Benazir where is your 'significant majority' in that?

2) Is Benazir Bhutto only interested in coming back to Pakistan if she is allowed to stand for elections, and not to see the plight of the people, which you have gone on so much about? A simple Yes or No will suffice.

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited April 15, 2002).]

Comment

Malik73,

I have seen that you only read what u like.. I have repaetedly tried to answer ur questions but with no effect.. u only read where someone praises the dictator.. now the post I posted its Musharaf himself who afraid and running away and afraid of these two..and lets suppose these two are not at popular in Pakistan and have avery small vote back then why considering this law?? whos is the chicken here
      .. ur late Zia also tried these tactics..but when he saw with all his character assasination of Bhutto he at once cancelled 1979 general elections..
      .. I dont know why BB bothers u so much.. it may dishearten u but she has a very large vote bank in all provinces of pakistan.. with ur stats u tried to prove BB and NS as being very unpopular in pak but I am sure no other politition or dictator come near them.. trust me if Musharaf dont have that chief of army staff danda he cant win a single seat.. If hes so confident of his 3 years rule why hes still afraid of those 2?

Comment

Oh I know I am going to love dissecting this one by one...

I have repaetedly tried to answer ur questions...
        No you have repeatedly dodged one particular question. Please point us to the thread where you answered the following question?

Is Benazir Bhutto only interested in coming back to Pakistan if she is allowed to stand for elections, and not to see the plight of the people, which you have gone on so much about? A simple Yes or No will suffice.

.. ur late Zia also tried these tactics..but when he saw with all his character assasination of Bhutto he at once cancelled 1979 general elections..
        That's a bit rich coming from the party and leader which refused to accept the 1971 elections that gave Mujib a clear majority to rule all Pakistan. Remember that famous utterance "Idhar Hum Udhar Tum"? Wonder who said that beacuse he could not accept the vast popularity of others?

it may dishearten u but she has a very large vote bank in all provinces of pakistan..
        Are you sure all the provinces? Let's see. She did not win even one seat in Punjab, NWFP and Balochistan at the last elections, and only got a minority 18 of the 46 seats of Sindh (her whole overall tally). Is that what you call support from all the provinces?

with ur stats u tried to prove BB and NS as being very unpopular in pak
        My stats are based on actual facts not some PPP diehards tall claims. Anyone can make tall claims without the facts. Can you deny the following facts? Yes or No? Please try...

1) NS and BB have never in their terms as PM's ever come close to winning even a 'significant majority of the votes' in Pakistan. In the 1988, 1990 and 1993 elections Benazir and Nawaz's parties only averaged some 15% of the votes of the total electorate is that what you call a 'significant majority'?

2) In the 1997 election 74% of the Pakistani electorate did not even come out to vote on Election Day. This resulted in Nawaz winning the Premiership with a mere 11% of the total electorate, and Benazir barely scraping a pathetic 5%. Hence at the last election nearly 85% of the Pakistani electorate did not vote for Nawaz or Benazir

but I am sure no other politition or dictator come near them..
        So are you saying that if Musharraf gets more than 5% of the votes he can rightly claimed to have surpassed BB's popularity? And if he gets 11% he has surpassed Nawaz's popularity? If he gets more than 15% he can very rightly claim that he is more popular electorally than BB and NS combined.

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited April 15, 2002).]

Comment

If people do not want Musharaf, then they should turn out at the referendum and cast a NO vote to show their dissent. This is their ideal opportunity.

From the understanding I have, BB and NS are not being barred from the elections because President Musharaf is scared, but because of BB's and NS's past record with regards to corruption.

If BB is sincere, I believe she should go back to Pakistan and challenge the charges, rather than try to come back only if she is allowed to take part in the elections.

Comment

Originally posted by 2bornot2b:
            If BB is sincere, I believe she should go back to Pakistan and challenge the charges, rather than try to come back only if she is allowed to take part in the elections.

Exactly and that is the crux of my question. Is Benazir Bhutto only interested in coming back to Pakistan if she is allowed to stand for elections, and not to see the plight of the people, which you have gone on so much about?

A simple Yes or No would suffice from those PPP diehards (that 5% that voted for them that is at the last elections).

Comment

[B]
              Damn lousy laws should ban all politicians specially big fish aka NS and BB for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
                Damn lousy laws should ban all politicians specially big fish aka NS and BB for life.
                Yeah

Take Your Best Shot At Me

Comment

[b]If people do not want Musharaf, then they should turn out at the referendum and cast a NO vote to show their dissent. This is their ideal opportunity.

you know what happened in last referendum? these referendums are precisely designed for the desired results.. there is no opposition to challenge what really happens and who cast them.. the last referendum was a farce and name of Pak was a mock in the whole world..

From the understanding I have, BB and NS are not being barred from the elections because President Musharaf is scared, but because of BB's and NS's past record with regards to corruption.

.. so only for allegations of corruption special law is designed against them?? its job for court not a dictator..

..so if she comes back u will support her?? BB can do anything positive u will never acknowledge that.. Supreme court has already reviewed her cases .. how will u expect justice under such a presuure..

Comment

Degas, if she has nothing to hide she should go back to Pakistan and face the charges?

Like Malik asked, is Benazir Bhutto only interested in coming back to Pakistan if she is allowed to stand for elections, and not to see the plight of the people?

Comment

are all non-miltary political leaders
                      are potentially corrupt and incapable
                      of leading pakistan? do pakistanis have to joing the army to become more honest humans?
                      does religen play any role in morality in public life?

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited April 15, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                        are all non-miltary political leaders
                        are potentially corrupt and incapable
                        of leading pakistan? do pakistanis have to joing the army to become more honest humans?
                        does religen play any role in morality in public life?

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited April 15, 2002).]
                        I think Rvikz has a very valid point, I've been asking teh same question. The Champions of democracy could not name one but would produce virtual leaders.

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited April 15, 2002).]

Comment

Degas, if she has nothing to hide she should go back to Pakistan and face the charges?

Like Malik asked, is Benazir Bhutto only interested in coming back to Pakistan if she is allowed to stand for elections, and not to see the plight of the people?
                          .. all along I am asking the same..why only politicians are termed corrupt..no general to date is charged ? why we have these sacrad cows.. are we too ashamed that people whose job is to defend our borders have not only involved in corruption but also involved in drug mafia and slaughtering of innocents civilians..
                          Benazir is a politician..
                          in Political science this term politics means struggle for power.. a politician has to face many challenges unlike a dictator.. during a dictatorship what a politician can do .. just a struggle for restoration of democracy.. the international politics were crucial in last year and it wasnt good time to start such an endeavour.. but now Musharaf is doing which is termed as greed.. 3 years are enough and he should gracefully go away or name of army will be tarnished as they will seek more and more civilian posts ..

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
                            I think Rvikz has a very valid point, I've been asking teh same question. The Champions of democracy could not name one but would produce virtual leaders.
                            [This message has been edited by Abdali (edited April 15, 2002).]
                            .. thst means ur not a champion of democracy but follower of opprtession and dictatorship? Here an Indian is mocking our nation and we are sadly amusing? Is corruption limited to civilians? not at all... but due to shame we dont catch military people.. It was army in East Pakistan, Sindh in 83 and Ojri Camp in Islamabad? how many we have charged?

Comment

.. thst means ur not a champion of democracy but follower of opprtession and dictatorship? Here an Indian is mocking our nation and we are sadly amusing? Is corruption limited to civilians? not at all... but due to shame we dont catch military people.. It was army in East Pakistan, Sindh in 83 and Ojri Camp in Islamabad? how many we have charged?

Excuse me we are talking about democracy, right.... Now who do you think will come to loot if we had elections.....

Comment

Working...
                              X