Pakistani Christians: statistical data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While surfing the net I came across the following interesting article. Is there any way to verify these numbers??
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ha...eja.com&rnum=4

I am a Pakistani American and a demographical statistician by
    profession. I owe loyalty to my motherland particularly to Sialkot
    region where I was educated. These days I come across news about
    oppression of minorities the world over, including Pakistan, and
    subsequent migration.

I can at least attest about my own Pakistani Christian community. The
    propaganda of Christians being persecuted and forced to migrate to
    other counties smacks of ill-conceived knowledge of demographic data.

In 1901 the Christians living in areas approximating West and East
    Pakistan numbered 32,000. By the year 1961 in the same region their
    number rose to 733,000. In 1972 even after the separation of East
    Pakistan, in the present (West) Pakistan alone the Christian population
    increased to 907,861 which rose to 1,310,426 in 1981 according to the
    census of Pakistan. By the year 1997 they numbered 2,723,660, an
    increase of 207% over 1981 figure.

Without indulging in any comparisons, which are always odious, with
    other communities for the sake of reader's curiosity it is revealed
    that the Muslim community numbering 81,450,057 in 1981 registered an
    increase of 158% by the year 1997 by scoring 129,373,850. The Hindu
    community increased by 192% from 1,276,116 in 1981 to 2,451,294 in

The above data reveals that my Christian community has achieved the
    highest percentage increase among the religious communities in
    Pakistan. They were only 0.07 pc of population in 1901 but now they are
    about 2 pc. Their proportion to total population has increased about
    28.5 times and their population has increased 85 times.

My sole purpose in presenting these demographical statistical data is
    to infuse understanding among different communities and restrain the
    minorities in Pakistan from falling prey to disintegrating political
    propaganda to meet selfish ends at the cost of national cohesion and
    unity.

HAROLD WILSON

Hicksville, NY, USA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
    Before you buy.

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited April 09, 2002).]

Did a google and found the URL:- http://www.dawn.com/2000/11/30/letted.htm#7

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
      Did a google and found the URL:- http://www.dawn.com/2000/11/30/letted.htm#7

No need to verify anything, just calculate the %age and you will find the truth.

btw how many christians in Pakistan have a name 'HAROLD WILSON' ??

------------------
      AK

Comment

Originally posted by Asif_k:
        No need to verify anything, just calculate the %age and you will find the truth.

Have you lived in Pak?

The Author has done calulations perhapes you should add your pearls of wisdom..

Comment

Well, I meant do the math and you will find the truth (Calculate the 207% and compare that Figure with Mr. Wilson's)

------------------
          AK

Comment

Well, I meant do the math and you will find the truth (Calculate the 207% and compare that Figure with Mr. Wilson's)

I did and it calculates over 207%

1901, 32,000
            1961, 733,000
            1972, 907,861 (assuming half were left in BD)
            1981, 1,310,426
            1997, 2,723,660

unless you adding 207% + 1981, no matter how you calculate contrary to what is projected their numbers have doubled.

Comment

Okay - Population in 1981 was 1,310,426. Population in 1997 was 2,723,660.

so Total growth in Population 1,413,234 which is 107.8 % growth over the 1981 Figure.

However Mr. Wilson Claims that as 207% growth. In his own words :-

"By the year 1997 they numbered 2,723,660, an increase of 207% over 1981 figure."

------------------
              AK

Comment

Thats why I said no matter how you calculate its grown over 100 percent which is not bad at all.

Comment

http://www.pakistanchristianpost.com...editorialid=18

In 1971, when East Pakistan emerged as new state of Bangladesh, the majority wing of Muslim population in Pakistan, the population percentage of Christians raised up to 10 % of population of Pakistan.
                  We wish to submit that statistical data of Christian's death and birth was collected from the 15 bishop stations of Pakistan in 1978, which confirmed the population of Christian to be 13 million. It must be noted that census have been not placed since 1981 in Pakistan

The point to note here is that even the President of Pakistan Christian Congress is named Mr. Nazir S Bhatti which supports the point raised by Asif_K that Pakistani Christians have a different name pattern. And PCC claims that no proper consensus was done after 1981

Isn’t it more prudent for Abdali to give the census figures done by Pak government rather than some HAROLD WILSON from Hicksville, NY, USA. If the increase is as whopping as more than 200% as claimed, does that mean, more people are converting from Islam to Christianity or Christian rate of birth is more than muslim rate.

Comment

Following is Mr. Wilsons claim

"I can at least attest about my own Pakistani Christian community. The
                    propaganda of Christians being persecuted and forced to migrate to
                    other counties
                    smacks of ill-conceived knowledge of demographic data."

And the link Dhir provided lends support to Mr. Wilson claim above, there are lot more Christians in Pak thn I thought.. I thought their number was rapidly on the decline due to mad mullah culture. At the rate media portrays there should be no Christians in Pak but 13 percent is a healthy number.

P.S: I know a Pakistani Christian by the name of Ken Casler so please lay off this name game.

Comment

Many protestants have names like this. From the Pakistan Air Force, you have the late Air Vice Marshal Eric Hall, Air Vice Marshal Steve Joseph, and Air Vice Marshal MJ O'Brain. Others include Wing Commander Marvyn Leslie Middlecoat, who gave his life valiantly defending Pakistan from India, and Squadron leader Peter Christy, who sacrificed himself for the Islamic Republic on a bombing mission deep inside India.

Other past Pakistani Christian PAF personnel, for whom I have been unable to find rank details, include Steve Joseph, James Jebb, Patric Callaghan, Stephen Israel, Leslie de’Cruz, Robert Ritchie, J.E. Lewis, John Carrapiett, H.J. Caldens, J.M. Octavious and H.W. Highland.

Source: http://www.defencejournal.com/dec98/christian.htm

There are countless numbers of everyday Pakistani Christians who bear highly westernised names; please desist from stereotyping my fellow countrymen by claiming they all have Eastern names.

[This message has been edited by mAd_ScIeNtIsT (edited April 10, 2002).]
                      Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                      Al-Ghazali

Comment

Abdali, I gave a few more links but unfortunate were deleted by Mods. The point is my link and the one provided by you can be unreliable (and most probably are). Why don't you give us Pak govt.'s census figures. What do they say. And about % of christians and their not migrating to other countries read this http://www.pww.8m.com/about.html
                        70% of this Christian population live in remote villages developed by British missionaries before Pakistan came into being. The rest lived in cities with only 0.5%well off families out of the whole who live in better standard conditions and majority resides by the banks of sewerage and drainage canals of dirty waters of that city.

So you see most of them simply are too poor to migrate whatever the hardships are.

Comment

Originally posted by dhir:
                          Abdali, I gave a few more links but unfortunate were deleted by Mods. The point is my link and the one provided by you can be unreliable (and most probably are). Why don't you give us Pak govt.'s census figures. What do they say. And about % of christians and their not migrating to other countries read this http://www.pww.8m.com/about.html
                          70% of this Christian population live in remote villages developed by British missionaries before Pakistan came into being. The rest lived in cities with only 0.5%well off families out of the whole who live in better standard conditions and majority resides by the banks of sewerage and drainage canals of dirty waters of that city.

So you see most of them simply are too poor to migrate whatever the hardships are.
                          I am not disputing the treatment of minorities, BUT the fact that there is no mass migration of Christians the way media portrays just like Mr. Wilson said. According to PCC there are close to 20 million Christians in Pak and I was under the impression they were close to extinction. See my point????

Comment

Frankly speaking, I have not yet seen any article or report pointing that there is a mass christian migration (or even on a smaller scale) going on in Pakistan. What makes you think it is a claim by some parties, pls. give me some link if you have other than the one above cos thats basically personal opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by dhir:
                              Frankly speaking, I have not yet seen any article or report pointing that there is a mass christian migration (or even on a smaller scale) going on in Pakistan. What makes you think it is a claim by some parties, pls. give me some link if you have other than the one above cos thats basically personal opinion.

I don't have the links but I have read over the years how christians are migrating due to their ill treatment and their numbers are dwindling about 2% and on the decline, and I believe that too. The article of Mr. Wilson caught my eye while surfing which changed the whole story.

Comment

Working...
                              X