Referen. Vs. Constitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referen. Vs. Constitution

Ok this is for all those who think that the referendum is against the constitution and is not democratic. Well First I would like to state, that a referendum is the most direct democratic system used to date. It allows the people to vote directly for everything and anything. That is how the Swiss voted for joining the UN. The people decided. If we want to make Pakistan a democratic state, this is a good way to start.
    Also all those who say it is against the constitution of Pakistan, have you looked at the constitution, it is whole of holes and problems. We need a new and better constitution, heck we can practice making one here, which is not a bad idea.

------------------
    Ours is not to reason why;
    Ours is but to do and die

[This message has been edited by CM (edited April 06, 2002).]
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Why should we give a damn about the Constitution? Who made the constitution, God?

Would u rather see a depraved bloodsucking leechlike Nawaz Sharif or Benazir-like PM in power, making yellow cab schemes and oil furnaces, taking kickbacks and stashing billions of dollars in swiss banks?

What kind of constititution do you want? what kind of democracy do u want?

I have seen people going to vote in the "democratic" elections... PPP paid poor laborors 50 Rs per day and a free lunch, to bribe them jsut to go to the voting booth in caravans of buses and pickups. This is democracy. Democracy means 50 Rs. and a free lunch.

YOU CANNOT HAVE DEMOCRACY WITHOUT LITERACY.

Democracy cannot work in Pakistan unless there is at least 80% literacy so that people can understand what voting means and who they are voting for.

ANYTHING ELSE IS A BLOODY CHARADE.

And I would rather have these leeches strung up on poles and shot in the head than vote them to power. Benazir i hope you're reading this. bloody b****

Think people, think!

[This message has been edited by alizadeh2000 (edited April 06, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by CM:
      Well First I would like to state, that a referendum is the most direct democratic system used to date.

Also all those who say it is against the constitution of Pakistan, have you looked at the constitution, it is whole of holes and problems. We need a new and better constitution, heck we can practice making one here, which is not a bad idea.

A referendum is only as good as the question put to the people. Sometimes a referendum can be totally undemocratic if the question is framed where people just have to choose the lesser of two evils.

Please tell me more about the constitutional issues at stake, CM.

Comment

CM, by Mistake I started this thread to early Link

Under the current constitution of Pakistan (You never know when it changes again!) , the referendum can only be held on a question but not to elect someone on a position.
        So will he “Musheraf” amend the constitution, to change the referendum definition, or will he put the same line of question, which a late Army general used, in a similar situation? I think if he uses the same line of questions, then, Musheraf has to replace the word “Allah” (used by the late Army general) with the word “country” to put the question again to the people of Pakistan.

dejavou…

First the constitution clarifies how and when to use the referendum. Now it’s a other thing that you by the grace of god have the power to wipe out whatever part you don’t like. Please read or get a copy of Pakistan’s Constitution.

Part III, The Federation of Pakistan
        Chapter 1: The President
        Article 48, Clause 6 and 7

(6) If, at any time, the President, in his discretion, or on the advice of the Prime Minister, considers that it is desirable that any matter of national importance should be referred to a referendum, the President may cause the matter to be referred to a referendum in the form of a question that is capable of being answered either by "Yes" or "No".
        (7) An act of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) may lay down the procedure for the holding of a referendum and the compiling and consolidation of the result of a referendum

once again the constitution explains how and when the referendum would be used

Article 96A was inserted by the Constitution (Seventh Amendment) Act, 1977 (23 of 1977) section 2 (with effect from April 21, 1977) and under clause 3, sub-section 1, section I, of the said Act ceased to be in force on September 13, 1977. It read:"96-A. Referendum as to confidence in Prime Minister”

and now this is what our beloved President will use to become the constitutional President of Islamic Republic of Pakistan,

Chapter 7: Transitional
        Article 270 A
        (l) The Proclamation of the fifth day of July, 1977, all President's Orders, Ordinances, Martial Law Regulations, Martial Law Orders, including the Referendum Order, 1984 (P. O. No. 11 of 1984), under which, in consequence of the result of the referendum held on the nineteenth day of December 1984. General Muhammad Zia- ul- Haq became the President of Pakistan on the day of the first meeting of the Majlis- e- Shoora (Parliament) in joint sitting for the term specified in clause (7) of Article 41, the Revival of the Constitution of 1973 Order, 1985 (P. O. No. 14 of 1985), the Constitution (Second Amendment) Order 1985 (P. O. No. 24 of 1985), and all other laws, made between the fifth day of July, 1977, and the date on which this Article comes into force are hereby affirmed, adopted and declared, notwithstanding any judgment of any court, to have been validly made by competent authority and, notwithstanding anything contained in the Constitution, shall not be called in question in any court on any ground whatsoever

Read the last part again and again, and tell me if President Mushref is not repeating what happend to Pakistan in 1984.

The other un-constitutional thing he would do will be to get the 2/3 mejority elected who would support him in the parliment. Not only this he will keep him self as the COAS and the President of the country at the same time.

[This message has been edited by MiniMe (edited April 06, 2002).]
        بِن دانا پانی میں جی لواں
        بِن انَک میں جی نہ سکاں

Comment

Give me to the end of the week - maybe the weekend to reply, this requires a very detailed reply.

------------------
          Ours is not to reason why;
          Ours is but to do and die
          You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Working...
          X