Referendum to be held in Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referendum to be held in Pakistan

"We not only have to bring the essence of democracy but we have to consolidate it," Musharraf said in a speech in which he is expected to announce a referendum to prolong his term as president by five years.
    He said he would organise a referendum to ask the people whether he should continue to rule Pakistan. "I want you the people of Pakistan to tell me whether I'm required or not," Musharraf said in a televised speech to the nation.

Is it going to be something like what Zia did? I dont thing he is going to ask a yes/no question.

He will win !!!

Comment

Its not a question of whether he will win or lose. Its a question of how many ppl will come to vote for this "referendum". Atleast Musharaff should be honest and state the question simply, instead of how Zia suger-coated the question behind islam.

When I look into my crystal ball, I see the following:
      • Its almost a certainity that less than 20-30% ppl will vote in this referendum. Therefore on one hand Musharraf will declare victory, and on the other, the political parties will claim that the remaining 70% oppose Musharaf. Both claims will be wrong. Musharraf will try to use these results to gain legitimacy and the political parties will forever dispute the claim.
      • After the elections, if Mushy thinks the new Parliament is agreeable, he will also get himself elected in the proper manner, and if the Parliament seemed opposed to this then he will simply sit back and point to the referendum result as a proof to stay in power.
      • In any case, he will get the parliament to rubber-stamp the changes in constitution by creating a more effective Nat'l Security Council where in military will have a clear voice in running of the country, and will also change the focus of our government from the Prime Minister to the directly elected Presidential system. This will throw more discord in the country because the minority provinces will feel it is another step to create more hagemony of the bigger province.

Comment

Originally posted by PJ:
        He will win !!!
        Ameen

Support Musharraf, Support Pakistan

Comment

1st week of May.
          Either way it doesn't make a difference.
          I am more worried about the general elections.

------------------
          Ours is not to reason why;
          Ours is but to do and die
          You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

CM- you think the general election is really going to be fair? I don't think so.

Comment

He has already won. It is no point to conduct a fraudulent referendum as done by his predecessor. This will save millions of rupees. This amount may be spent on education and healthcare.

FARID

Comment

I am not worried about fair, I am worried as how much will the fundos get, as now there is a power vaccum in Pakistan.

------------------
                Ours is not to reason why;
                Ours is but to do and die
                You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Did not Musharraf say few months back that Allah has appointed him to the post. and now he is asking humans to elect him? are these humans over allah? toba toba..that is so blasphemous.

Comment

Originally posted by ChannMahi:
                    Did not Musharraf say few months back that Allah has appointed him to the post
                    Do you any source of it?

Take Your Best Shot At Me

Comment

CM- I don't think the 'fundos' will get any votes more than they ususally get, which is jacks**t!!!

Why would they get anymore now? They have nothing to make themselves more popular.

Comment

yes he said this in his last speach..

i dont know when.. but this statement was in his last speach...

------------------
                        Dont think "you can" know "you can"
                        .::. ﷲ ﻼﺃ ﷲﺃ ﻶ .::.

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:
                          Do you any source of it?

Kabhi, apni research khud bhi karr liya karro

Here it is ... http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/Forum4/HTML/003817.html

Comment

My father was still serving in PAF, when Zia came out with the idea of Referendum. He tells us that there was a driver under him who was enthusiastic about voting against Zia. And you know how our Pathan bhai can be very emotional at times ...

When the referendum ballots came for the unit, the officer in charge opened them all by himself and started putting the 'Zia thuppa' on it. Well, our Pathan bhai wasn't too happy about it. So complained and demanded that his papers be given to him, saying Hum khud thapa lagai ga The person in charge looked up to him for a moment and then gave him 10 ballots instead of one! :~)

Anyway, Referendums are dramas, nothing more! If Mushraff actually loses this one, I will start believing in the Bermuda Triangle.

Comment

Ajee- yet so many people turn a blind eye to Army wrongs!

Army has ruled Pak for as long as the politicians have, they are as much to blame for Pak's situation as the politicians!

Comment

Working...
                              X