Is a "legislative assembly" of any use in Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a "legislative assembly" of any use in Pakistan

Now that elections are drawing closer, I can imagine all the "vaderas", "chauhdaris", "jutts", "gujjars", "butts", "nanhas", "tipus" getting ready to put on the bloody show before they can write MPAs and MNAs on their license plates. The kind of people we send to our assemblies (except for "a few good men") makes me wonder whether we are better off without a legislative body, until we can educate our people to know what legislation is. Forget watching the executive branch, they are least interested in attending the assembly sessions, which apparently is a distraction from the real work of "transferring government employees", and having the local "thandedars" kiss their asses. Most of them don't even know that they are supposed to be making laws there and watching the government (note, i said watching, not protesting, that they do very well, without even knowing why they are doing it). Hell, i'd be surprised if any more than 10% of them know the difference between the constitution and a law.

All this comes to my mind after reading an article by an attorney from Lahore who raised hell arguing that having the requirement of a bachelors degree is a violation our basic rights. I don't care about the degree itself, but i do believe that spending some time in an academic environment can open up their minds a little bit.

But again, buying a bachelors degree is not too hard either - so why torcher ourselves with an "expensive" not to mention embarrassing group of thieves.

------------------

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, and used against you.

[This message has been edited by Zaalim (edited March 21, 2002).]

Because they are all we have. Besides, i dont think they are all bad... Rememeber, one bad egg doesn't mean the whole batch is bad.

Comment

There should be tough absenteeism laws for legislators and Ministers and they shoudl give more oversight powers to Parlimentry committee chairpersons
      How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

do they pass bills resolutions and make amendments to constitution. do they bebate
        over any issue or take vote on issues?

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited March 23, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
        X