Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pak offers to lift ban on Indian flights

http://www.ndtv.com/template/templat...22636&callid=1

After the famous handshake with Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in Kathmandu, Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf today utilised the SAARC forum to offer lifting of the ban on use of his country's air space by India.

In the presence of Information and Broadcasting Minister Sushma Swaraj, the first Indian Minister to visit Pakistan in years, he said "I am prepared to remove the ban of over flight right here if the Indian Minister has the authority to do the same."

President Musharraf should know that Indian ministers do not command such powers as dictators do and cannot take decisions then and there. They are suppose to discuss matters and then take decisions rather than decide and then discuss by calling all parties to a meeting with no say in the matter, like he did in the case of support to US for Afghanistan.

Musharraf recalled that he had to fly for 14 hours to reach Kathmandu for the January SAARC Summit due to the overflight ban by India.

He had the option to fly over India, but he found it prudent to first land in China, discuss intelligence matters and then arrive in Nepal.

Originally posted by dhir:
    President Musharraf should know that Indian ministers do not command such powers as dictators do and cannot take decisions then and there. They are suppose to discuss matters and then take decisions rather than decide and then discuss by calling all parties to a meeting with no say in the matter, like he did in the case of support to US for Afghanistan.

He had the option to fly over India, but he found it prudent to first land in China, discuss intelligence matters and then arrive in Nepal.
    Sorry you failed to see the point Gen Musharraf made by bringing up the issue, regardless of the way things happen in India (if at all there is any law and order to speak of). It was a symbolic gesture, telling India to take its head out of its rear and deal with things in the light of day. Banishment of overflights has hurt both sides, and well, it was a stupid move by India, to be frank.

Why does it get your pyjama in a twist to see him having landed in China before proceeding to Nepal? You expect Pakistan to just kneel in front of India, simply because its a huge country? Think a little.

The offer of lifting the ban was a great move by a statesman, who also happens to be intelligent. India wont reciprocate, not because they dont agree with it, but because they want to save their face by not accepting any proposal put forward by Gen Musharraf, who has effectively slapped Vajpayee on all international forums, in every aspect.

Comment

now is the time india need help from pakistan
      especially aftermath of these riots india should improve relationship with pakistan .

Comment

Akif,

Only reason any country is listening to mushy is because Pakistan shares a border with Afghanistan. And about the Slapping thing - Sure that's how you would like to believe. DREAM ON.

Symbolic Getsture = Begging.

------------------
        AK

Comment

No doubt Pakistan is on world news these days due to the attacks on Afghanistan. I never disputed that.

And well, diplomatically, Gen Musharraf upstaged Vajpayee in Agra, then did so in Nepal, did so in the UN. Heck your own newspapers were saying that.

Begging for what? The ban on overflights has hurt India more than it did Pakistan. Pakistan has a handful routes that went via India. India had a truckload of routes...virtually all airways to the mideast, Europe and USA went through Pakistan. It was a gentle gesture by Gen Musharraf to help India emerge from its chaos, since hes not one to strike when ones down, otherwise its very easy for Pakistan to make a case against India right now. Admit the ineptness of your so called eternally democratic government for once.

Comment

i dont know why indians become so stiff?

----------------------------------------------
            ``I would like first of all tender my personal apologies for the long trip that all the information ministers had to make to reach Pakistan,'' Musharraf said.

``If at all, our colleague and honored guest, the information minister from India, has the authority, I am prepared to remove the ban on overflights right here as an achievement of this meeting,'' he said.

Swaraj later declined Musharraf's invitation to speak, saying: ``I am only the information and broadcasting minister, I do not have the authority to respond.''

Comment

Originally posted by Akif:
              ..diplomatically, Gen Musharraf upstaged Vajpayee in Agra, then did so in Nepal, did so in the UN. Heck your own newspapers were saying that.
              In Agra - Yes, That's because of that Idiot BALDY ADVANI and his STOOGE & LIAR Sushma Swaraj and not because of Mushy's diplomacy skills. Only thing he got out of that was Political mileage Since India recognized him as head of State the moment they invited him to talk.
              In Kathmandu - do you want me to post the Prepared and Planned speech of Mushy and Last para of Vajpayee's speech which was not prepared and planned but spontaneous reaction of Vajpayee. You will know who won and who lost.

Begging for what? The ban on overflights has hurt India more than it did Pakistan.
              Has India or Indians complained ? Symbolic Gesture is when a gesture is made once or twice - But If you make that gesture every other day it is called Pleading/Begging. Only you think it is a symbolic Gesture. What a pity !

Pakistan has a handful routes that went via India. India had a truckload of routes...virtually all airways to the mideast, Europe and USA went through Pakistan.
              Really - Based on Mushy's eagerness to resume flights, it doesn't seem so. You should go and check back the routes once again..and anyways even if they do go via Pakistan and Indians are hurt then let us suffer.

Admit the ineptness of your so called eternally democratic government for once.
              I always admit it, There are holes in our democratic Govt. when did I not admit it ?

------------------
              AK

[This message has been edited by Mursalin (edited March 07, 2002).]

Comment

From what I heard, PIA made a decent profit, more then they made last year when there was no Indian overflight ban.
                To Hell with kind gestures, gestures are worthless in times like these.
                If Indians dont want to normalize relations, well then screw them. Pakistan was created to seperate the two groups. As far as im concerned, the the less we associate with India, the better. (I dont understand what the hell Pak expects to gain from this ridiculous SAARC crap, all it does is waste time and pass on "kind gestures" between its members)

Comment

Originally posted by Akif:
                  Sorry you failed to see the point Gen Musharraf made by bringing up the issue, regardless of the way things happen in India (if at all there is any law and order to speak of).

Oh, yes I sure did, if you say so. The point is Mushy is master in acting. Strangely there was no official approach from Pak side on any such resumption before this speech. He knew it very well that it is not Sushma Swaraj who has authority in this matter. Or maybe he mistook the meaning of Swaraj literally.

It was a symbolic gesture, telling India to take its head out of its rear and deal with things in the light of day.

And he waited for a multilateral forum to do this symbolic gesture. It was a symbolic gesture no doubt, but to again dupe the world community that he is serious. Like he shook hands with Vajpayee. Shaking hands means nothing if you continue sponsoring terrorism and that's what Vajpayee immediately responded (impromptu and not prepared speech like Musharraf's).

Banishment of overflights has hurt both sides,

Well then let it hurt, but fortunately India can bear this economic burden easily. Same thing happend during cold war when arms making was hurting both sides, but weaker economy broke down.

and well, it was a stupid move by India, to be frank.

Oh yes, putting diplomatic and economic pressure indeed is a stupid move and sponsoring terrorism is a very smart move Pakis are taking or were taking in Afghanistan, Kashmir and elsewhere through its madrasa factory vehemently supported by Govt. not so long ago.

Why does it get your pyjama in a twist to see him having landed in China before proceeding to Nepal?

It seems you didn't read why mushy said, he said he had to fly through China to reach Kathmandu and I said he had the option to fly over India, but Pak never asked for it and in its own favour opted to fly through China then why tell others that he flew long because of ban.

You expect Pakistan to just kneel in front of India, simply because its a huge country? Think a little.

On the contrary, Pakistan expects India to kneel just because it still has a huge muslim population and Pakistan tends to exploit people's religious sentiments.

The offer of lifting the ban was a great move by a statesman, who also happens to be intelligent.

Intelligent it was, because he offered it at a multilateral forum where he expects to get maximum mileage and not conveyed this message to India bilaterally. In any casethe offer was doomed and he knew it, it was just a publicity stunt.

India wont reciprocate, not because they dont agree with it, but because they want to save their face by not accepting any proposal put forward by Gen Musharraf, who has effectively slapped Vajpayee on all international forums, in every aspect.

India wont reciprocate because these moves are paying dividends, it is continuosly putting pressure on Pakistan which makes it to do sit-ups at every US command. Similarly Pakistan was sucked into helping US in attacking Afghanistan and Pakistan doesn't even know this, not till date at least.

Comment

Its always a nice gesture when our friends from across the border do a good enough job of making a mockery of themselves and their country. I know u do it to save us the trouble.
                    What else can explain the responses above.

Comment

Our Feelings are mutual! you know not that you make us feel the same way.

Comment

For whats it worth, I strongly feel, Pakistan should keep the airspace ban firmly in place.

Removing it will mean, India will intensify its shenenigans in Afghanistan by flying into Kabul with a short route. We don't need that, for strategic reasons.

Let India keep the airspace ban in place. More power to them and their wonderful leaders. How wonderfully farsighted they are.

I do feel sorry for the limited number of folks who now can not fly PIA to get to Colombo or Dhaka, but, as far as Pakistan is concerned, the advantages of this ban far out-weigh this small inconvenience.

Comment

Who need their air space. Our economy is handling it just fine.

[This message has been edited by Mursalin (edited March 09, 2002).]

Comment

You are right Adnan Our economy is recovering great! Inshallah, we'll see happiness and prosperity in Pakistan very soon! Pakistan Zindabad. Mera Musharraf Mahan

*Play your game - Guess my motto*

Comment

Working...
                            X