Trans-Afghan pipeline to be revived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If its cutting through Pak territory it was one of the prime objectives of Pak-Afghan policy. While Russia wanted over its soil and same for Iran I'd say Pak is the best choice. A few $B/year is not a bad deal at all.

Whats the news on Iran India pipeline or should I say pipe dream.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/702662.asp?cp1=1

900-mile oil conduit was long shelved due to conflict

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan, Feb. 8 — A long-awaited pipeline project moving oil from Turkmenistan, across Afghanistan to Pakistan got a green light from Afghan interim leader Hamid Karzai and Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf on Friday.
    “BOTH SIDES have agreed that the construction of this pipeline will be very beneficial for both the countries as well as for the entire region,” Karzai told a news conference after talks with Musharraf.
    “We both have agreed on this,” he said, calling the project “very essential.”
    Karzai was in Islamabad on his first official visit to Pakistan since his U.N.-backed interim administration took office in December, following the collapse of the Taliban government in the face of U.S.-led military strikes.
    Turkmen President Saparmurat Niyazov, seeking new export outlets for his country’s abundant gas reserves, said Friday that he hoped the fragile peace in Afghanistan would allow work to resume on the major regional natural gas pipeline.
    “Peace is finally being installed in Afghanistan. And we can now build a pipeline to Pakistan across its territory,” state television quoted Niyazov as saying during a visit to eastern Turkmenistan.

A consortium led by U.S. Unocal had originally aimed to build the $1.9 billion, 875-mile pipeline to run from gas-rich Turkmenistan via northern Afghanistan.
    But in August 1998 Unocal halted development of the project after U.S. forces fired missiles at guerrilla camps in Afghanistan in the wake of bomb attacks on two U.S. embassies in Africa.

Under the original plan, a 460-mile stretch of the pipeline would run across northern Afghanistan.
    Turkmen officials say Niyazov plans to raise the issue with Karzai in the near future.
    Turkmenistan, a neutral country that steered a careful course between Afghanistan’s purist Taliban movement and the opposition Northern Alliance, supported U.S. strikes on its war-torn neighbor last autumn.
    Niyazov has not allowed coalition warplanes to use Turkmen airbases, although his country has become a key route for humanitarian cargo supplies to northern Afghanistan.

“BOTH SIDES have agreed that the construction of this pipeline will be very beneficial for both the countries as well as for the entire region,” Karzai told a news conference after talks with Musharraf.
    “We both have agreed on this,” he said, calling the project “very essential.”

Yes and tie the future economic and political destiny of Afghanistan to Pakistan as never before. Karzai's agreement to this pipeline is a great victory for our President, and the fruits of his Afghan policy over the last five months are now beginning to bear. Karzai also asked for Pakistan's help in getting the majority Pashtun tribes in Afghanistan to support the new set up. This visit shows that the Afghans realise that Pakistan is crucial to Afghanistan's future economic and political prosperity and stability. I trust our government will ensure that Afghanistan moves towards greater stability to ensure this pipeline is built. When the pipeline is built we will become the regional power in Central and West Asia.

Comment

The phrase "steered a careful course" is a mouthful. It is a concept America must fully grasp in any foreign policy decisions. It will greatly strengthen Pakistan, but to say it will give the country preeminence in the region is going too far. India is stronger in many ways, though I say this as no fan of all aspects of Indian policy. It would seem practacle to develope better relations while maintaining dignity. Musharraf can pull that off.

[This message has been edited by TOMASSO (edited February 12, 2002).]

Comment

TOMMASSO, the likes of Afghanistan, Turkmenistan and other Central Asian states are either all land locked or virtually land locked states. Iran is a feasible route for CAR pipelines but the US would do everything to veto that, and Russia is another alternative but the US would look suspiciously on that as well. So that leaves the only feasible outlet to the major ocean ports of the world through Southern Pakistan. To achieve this major economic and strategic goal the US will pull out all the stops, and that will make Pakistan the regional hub and power of the Central/West Asia region.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
          If its cutting through Pak territory it was one of the prime objectives of Pak-Afghan policy. While Russia wanted over its soil and same for Iran I'd say Pak is the best choice. A few $B/year is not a bad deal at all.
          If all the economic benefits of such projects is in the oil pipeline going thru pak, then what was the need for 20 years of interference in Afghanistan? The prime objective was not that. The prime objective was to mint money form USA and use Afghanistan as a trainign ground for terrorists for India.

[This message has been edited by FreeMind (edited February 12, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by FreeMind:
            If all the economic benefits of such projects is in the oil pipeline going thru pak, then what was the need for 20 years of interference in Afghanistan? The prime objective was not that. The prime objective was to mint money form USA and use Afghanistan as a trainign ground for terrorists for India.

[This message has been edited by FreeMind (edited February 12, 2002).]
            wah wah wah what analysis my my my... US pulled out of Afghan ages ago but according to u Pak was making money.....

Have u ever thought of jokes forum.

Comment

Actually the pipeline is being developed in conjunction with Russian companies. The American firms are Texaco/Chevron and Exxon/Mobil. The others are Oman, Kazahkstan, and LUKoil. Unocal is involved as well. www.dawn.com/2002/02/11/ebr2.htm It does seem to be a positive that some heretofore at odds countries, are cooperating in joint projects. The 20 years of involvment in Afganistan by Pakistan and America was to give the Soviets a bloody nose. The whole affair is very much sad for the effect on the country. I hope most of those poor people wanted that fight. In a way they were used in a bloody proxy war.

Comment

Working...
              X