Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$70 BBillion defecit?

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/index.html

Finely tuned democracy by Farrukh Saleem.

We have had fifty years of cantonment dominated polices. The accumulated national debt -- internal plus external -- as a consequence now stands at a colossal $70 billion or the equivalent of Rs4.2 trillion. Every Pakistani family is now indebted to the tune of Rs200,000 (every man, woman and child in the country carrying a debt of Rs30,000). At least a billion dollars must have gone into Afghanistan's strategic depths. A good $10 billion into the bomb. Kashmir took away the remaining $60 billion. Too bad, the bomb has actually made us more vulnerable. One threat to our bomb and we wrote off our decade long Taliban support in twenty seconds. We'll do anything to save the bomb. But at the end the bomb itself would have to go.

Ayub shoved basic democracy down our throats. Almost all the factors, spread over the past five decades, that brought Pakistan down on to its knees are still intact. Must we now stay content with a finely-tuned democracy? The fault must be in our stars.

Is this the enfolding scenario?

what democracy..

The pakistani people do not deserve democracy.. they have not earned it.. they do not appreciate the power which is within them..

one great thinker said
    one man can make a difference.. and one man with conviction can change the direction of history..

Pakistanis are too used to passing the buck and not standing up for what they should... no back bone..

as one of my relatives says.. "pakistanis only understand a 'Danda'..".. they will not do anything until they are told to do it..

Comment

I remember reading in one of US news papers Pak politicians have stashed away $100B in western banks and Pak has zero chance of getting a single penny back.

What happened to millions BB and Mr. 10 percent have deposited in swiss accounts. How about the Surrey Mansion what happened to that.

I am sure ganja is no different, it was during his time I read the biggest bank robbery in human history. $Bs disappeared from banks after nuclear test never to be seen again.

No wonder thieves crow democracy democracy from roof tops.

Comment

abdali what army was doing when $100 billion
        out of the country if it is true. iamgine how much army can use that cash for modernisation

Comment

rvikz: This really doesn't concern you. Indian Politicians are far more corrupt. With Laloo, Jaya, Congress Raj, I would make sure that your accounts are straight.

Comment

WE desis , Indians and Pakis alike can only perform when we are ruled by Foreigners. WE did Ok under the British, Desis do fine in the USA, Britain etc when they work for International companies. But when it come to doing something good in India and Pakistan, we become corrupt and self serving. Jub tuk gulami khoon say nahi nikelgee , hum logoon ka yahi haal hoga. WE only understand Danda !!! that is a fact.

Comment

Wow, 60 billion expended in Kashmir! Mr. Musharraf doesn't need a danda, does he? I mean cooperating doesn't necessarily mean sucking up at every juncture. Many countries get fleeced by their leaders. Last night, I watched a documentary about Milosevic on CNN presented by Christiane Amanpour. The foreign banks got a windfall there, too. Abdali, it is sad to see you equate democracy with criminal capital flight. This kind of theft is beyond corruption. In a fully functional democracy, justice can be served. I hope the Enron mess in my country gets proper scrutiny. It is the biggest flushjob in American history and the debris goes to UBS Warburg in Switzerland.

[This message has been edited by TOMASSO (edited February 12, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by TOMASSO:
                Wow, 60 billion expened in Kashmir! Mr. Musharraf doesn't need a danda, does he? I mean cooperating doesn't necessarily mean sucking up at every juncture. Many countries get fleeced by their leaders. Last night, I watched a documentary about Milosevic on CNN presented by Christiane Amanpour. The foreign banks got a windfall there, too. Abdali, it is sad to see you equate democracy with criminal capital flight. This kind of theft is beyond corruption. In a fully functional democracy, justice can be served. I hope the Enron mess in my country gets proper scrutiny. It is the biggest flushjob in American history and the debris goes to UBS Warburg in Switzerland.

Ah yes Mr. Tomasso In democracy there may be checks and balances but in Pak democracy means BB or NS.......PEROID!!! end of discussion......

Comment

so abdali paksitan's only way out is continued military rule? waht if there is differences emerge between miltary how can it besolved. can they approach people
                  to decide which way is right?

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:

Ah yes Mr. Tomasso In democracy there may be checks and balances but in Pak democracy means BB or NS.......PEROID!!! end of discussion......
                    the sorry thing is that the options of NS and BB r also made/given by military.

kar lo jo karna

Comment

Originally posted by FreeMind:
                      the sorry thing is that the options of NS and BB r also made/given by military.

kar lo jo karna

Yeah sure army also opened BBs and Mr.10 percents accounts in swiss banks

Comment

Yeah sure army also opened BBs and Mr.10 percents accounts in swiss banks

army is not concerned with their corruption as long as their corruption and totalarian control is tolerated.

Comment

Originally posted by FreeMind:
                          army is not concerned with their corruption as long as their corruption and totalarian control is tolerated.

Yeah sure and top thugs like NS and BB were extremly concerned about corruption.. right......

Comment

Yeah sure and top thugs like NS and BB were extremly concerned about corruption.. right......
                            well, for one, NS grabbed the Mansoor's butt, right?

Comment

abdali how army found out ns is corrupt after kargil?

Comment

Working...
                              X