the standards of religious minorities in pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the standards of religious minorities in pakistan

well, i have not been to pakistan since may 2001 and conflicting reports are coming from pakistan on the status of religious minorities in pakistan especially in post afghan war..................

there hasbeen a wide spread concept in india and around the world that religious moinorities in pakistan are not at all safe........there havebeen reports of shaming and brutal atrocities being committed towards minorities across pakistn.........even after my 4 trips to pakistan in the last 6 years i was compelled to think in thje same way some times.........

many of my concepts havebeen changed after knowing the facs but i know the atrocities are being committed still on minorities.......

a very prominent news paper in my state had published a news a few years back in which there were scaring news of hindu women raped,hindu men killed like dogs on the streets,christian women molested ,Bishops stripped off ,ahmedians and shias beaten to death,shot dead, etc etc........... noone knows the fact behind these news.....but the attck on hindus and their shrines in 1992 and attacks on christians in bhawalpur and some other parts of pakistan gave sharp edges for many medias to crticize pakistan and its religious,bigotic fanatic people...........

whats the staus of religious minorities of pakistan in post afghan session?...........ur comments are welcome......

Sadas. The treatment of minorities in Pakistan has been not so good, starting in the early 70s, catching steam in late 70s (afteraffect of Iranian Revolution) and going downhill ever since (most notably under Zia dictatorship). However, the atrocities you mention are not sanctioned by the State (or the constitution, as the Constitution of Pakistan provides protection to all Pakistanis). These acts are committed by fanatical elements of the society, and a common man on the street condemns such acts as much as anyone else. But fortunately the current regime is tightening its squueze on the fanatical elements and we all hope that the situation regarding minorities will improve.

Having said that, on the State level, what needs to be done is to provide full access to members of all communities (including Minorities) to all sectors of the society: social, economical, political, etc. That can only be achieved with a clear-cut distinction and separation between Governance and matters of faith. How I say my prayers should not be anyoneís business. If I stick a finger up my godís butt, itís between her and I.

Comment

This is in Todayís dawn: http://www.dawn.com/2002/01/30/local10.htm

Sadas, the article below will give you some idea that things are changing and are not as disheartening as sometimes they appear to be. If you donít know who Prof Abdus Salam was; he belonged to a Minority community of Pakistan.

KARACHI: Pakistan's most illustrious son remembered: Seminar on Dr Abdus Salam
      By Our Staff Reporter

KARACHI, Jan 29: Speakers at a seminar on late Prof Abdus Salam paid rich tributes to the only Nobel laureate of Pakistan, on Tuesday.

The seminar, titled 'Life and Works of Prof Abdus Salam', was organized by the Science Club, University of Karachi, and held at the Arts Auditorium. It coincided with the 76th birth anniversary of the late physicist.

Speaking on the occasion, Director National Centre for Physics, Dr Riazuddin, said that he had the rare honour of being Prof Salam's student at the undergraduate level in Lahore and at the postgraduate level at the Cambridge University.

He said that among the great scientists in history Prof Salam occupied a unique position. "Few have discovered a universal law of nature, still fewer have founded an Institute, not for the privileged but for the underprivileged, Prof Salam accomplished both," he said.

Dr Riazuddin mentioned that on the occasion of the new millennium celebrations there had been a great deal of discussion on the "top ten physicists", and opinions had differed on such a list.

He quoted Dr Munawar Karim who had maintained that: "a man who discovered not one, not two, but three universal laws, who was as responsible as Maxwell in the unifying fields, who outgrew his accomplishments in physics and became a statesman, who founded an institution which has benefited tens of thousands of the most underprivileged physicists, certainly belongs on any list of ten outstanding physicists in history. I refer of course to Abdus Salam."

Dr Riaz said: "in addition to seeking unity in various phenomena of nature, Salam did seek unity in mankind. The crowning achievement here was the creation of the International Centre for Theoretical Physics at Trieste Italy, now rightly named after him".

"He was an effective communicator and could use argument as an intellectual weapon to achieve a purpose, yet he failed in one of his lifelong goals, perhaps the one closest to his heart", he added.

Dr Riaz further said that near the end of his life Salam had lamented: "countries like Turkey, Egypt and Pakistan, have no science communities. We suffer from a lack of ambition towards acquiring science, a feeling of inferiority towards it, bordering sometimes even on hostility".

He said that there was an impression that despite being the only Pakistani to have won the Nobel Prize, Salam was not given the respect he deserved in Pakistan; but that would not have mattered to him as for as his own person was concerned.

"Men like Abdus Salam do not belong to a particular community of country but to the entire humanity, he was perhaps the most decorated scientist of the world winning awards after awards from the East, West, North and South," he said.

On November 21, 1996, Prof Salam passed into history alongside other great physicists, and as a crusader consumed by a desire to promote science and technology in the Third World countries for their material and cultural improvement. He passionately believed that the widening gap in economics and influence between the nations of the South and the North was basically the science gap, Dr Riazuddin said.

Earlier, speaking on the occasion, Dr Ansar Kidwai, Chairman Department of Physics, University of Karachi, said that during a visit to the Karachi University in 1958 Prof Salam had proposed setting up a nuclear reactor for the country.

In his introductory remarks, Chairman Department of Mathematics, Dr Nasir Khan, said that he was fortunate enough to spend some time with Prof Salam who had sponsored his research work in 1982.

On the occasion, college and university students presented their papers highlighting the life and personality of the great scientist. The students who read out their papers included Farha Ahmed and Khadija Mishal from the APWA College, Amna Amjad and Mahvish Ashraf from the DHA Girls College and Abdul Rafay and Abdul Husain Zubari from the Physics Department, University of Karachi.

Comment

bit aside the topic, but indian physicists and mathematicians are quite indebted to prof. salam. his inst. in trieste helped lot of indian scientists and till his death, he went out of the way to help indian/pk/bd scientists. after his death, latin american is director and the indians are no longer in prominence in that inst.

Comment

Hindu temples being decimated in 1992? Hindu women raped? sadas would you be good enough to provide an authentic link that proves such incidents took place? The decimation of temples might have occurred after the sad destruction of the babri mosque, however as I recall most of those temples were not in use. As for the treatment of minorities, the Christians and Sikhs living in Pakistan have no complaints against government attitude. Next time you come here goto Hassanabdaal and see how happy the Sikhs over there are. As for the Hindus, they are not a sizeable minority here, I have lived in Pakistan all my life, but I have yet to come accross a Hindu Pakistani. Ofcourse this does not imply that there are no Hindus in Pakistan. I just heard an interview of a Pakistani Hindu in that "Lahore-Delhi Bus Service" programme on Star Plus the other day where that person was saying that wrong opinion exists in India on the treatment of Hindus in Pakistan. He added that he had a respectable business in Pakistan and was treated with exceptional respect by other Pakistanis.

All Im saying is, we would never treat other Pakistanis like the way you mentioned. As for the Hindus who visit Pakistan, they are guests and are treated with respect and the same goes for Pakistanis who goto India, I for one went to India and I saw that most of the people there were very hospitable towards Pakistanis.

Comment

what is % of hindus in pakistan before and after partition? before it was 2.5% . there
            was no significant change.

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited February 07, 2002).]

Comment

Spock, last week a prominent Hindu businessman who was leading the agitation to abolish the separate electorate system was murdered by unknown assilants suspecting to be Islamic militants.

You can check out the detailed report in Dawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                Hindu temples being decimated in 1992?

Dawn had published a photograph of a minister leading the mob to burn temple that time. He could have participated rapes also. In any case, dawn does not archive all the way back to 92.

jinnah's first ministry had a hindu minister. he left pak. so did others. why they did so.

i can at least quote some examples of muslim artists and academicians migrating from pak to india, adnan sani being latest. has any non muslim ever thought of going to pak except some khalistani terrorists.

[This message has been edited by ZZ (edited February 07, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ:

Dawn had published a photograph of a minister leading the mob to burn temple that time. He could have participated rapes also. In any case, dawn does not archive all the way back to 92.

jinnah's first ministry had a hindu minister. he left pak. so did others. why they did so.

i can at least quote some examples of muslim artists and academicians migrating from pak to india, adnan sani being latest. has any non muslim ever thought of going to pak except some khalistani terrorists.

[This message has been edited by ZZ (edited February 07, 2002).]
                  Baseless... Dawn published no such thing, I have been reading dawn straight since 1990.
                  If you can give me a specific date or a close range, I could go and check out the archive at a local library.

As for Adnan Sami, in case you didn't know, Mr. Sami (and not sani) was originally from Britain, he came to Pakistan... He married Zeba Bukhtiyar (who infact migrated from India to Pakistan ) and then had a son...
                  He ran away with his son to UAE and left Zeba, who campaigned hard and sat for two days infront of the Parliament building in protest that her son should be handed back to him. She got her son back, but Adnan didnt come back to Pakistan as he would get arrested if he did at that time. His career in Pakistan was already on the low, thanks to his appearance as a film hero in Lollywood. In such a situation, he could only ask Indians to 'mujh ko bhi koi lift karwado'. He was asking for 'mujh ko bhi koi thud karwado' so we kicked him out by not buying his stupid albums and not agreeing to his baseless claims of being the fastest pianist in the world.

And for the record, Adnan does not belong to a minority class in Pakistan, so mentioning him has no relevance in this post.

Comment

Working...
                  X