Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China -Paki relatonship cooling down??

http://frontierpost.com.pk/main.asp?id=9&date1=2/6/2002

GILGIT (Online): China has sealed for indefinite period its borders with Pakistan for import and export of goods.The Chief Secretary of Northern Areas under the directives of government has sent a delegation of immigration staff for talks with China authorities for opening of Khanjrab Pass for import and export of the tradable goods.

As per details China has sealed its borders for import and export of goods via Karakoram highway from January 1 while under Sino-Pak trade pact the communication and trade system remain open throughout the year.

However the traveling of the passengers is discontinued from January 1 to April 3 every year.

China has closed down the borders this year for import and export of tradable goods in deviation from the agreement and China authorities has halted seventy containers from Pakistani trade companies loaded with goods at immigration post of Tashghar Ghan.

The companies engaged in bilateral trade have suffered considerably due to the step taken by China authorities.

Taking note of the situation, government sought clarification from the chief secretary of Northern Areas, Fazil Durrani on the steps taken by China for unknown reasons.

The Chief Secretary sent a delegation comprising immigration staff and led by Mohammad Ghias incharge of Sost Immigration post to hold talks with China immigration authorities.

Later it will leave for Kashghar and discuss the matter with local government of Singkiang province.
    --------------

AT this time with tension between India and Pakistan running high, I would have expected China to stand up and be counted as a Friend of Pakistan. But this report seems to indicate that China is distancing it self and cooling off the relationship??

[This message has been edited by Tanhaa (edited February 06, 2002).]

China gave Pak cold feet even during Kargil conflict. Even now when mushy is running again and again to China, he is asked to issue a statement that he will cooperate with China in clamping down on muslim separatist in Xingiang.

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble the road has been closed and opened for several reasons in the past. After US bombing in Afghan it was closed for few weeks and opened again. However here is more on cooling down of relations.
      http://www.dawn.com/2002/02/05/top10.htm

ISLAMABAD, Feb 4: Two Chinese companies would set up $500 million worth of two coal-based power projects in Jherruck, near Thatta, Sindh, official sources told Dawn.

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited February 06, 2002).]

Comment

Do you know why companies come and open projects in a foreign land, its not to help the other country, which may be the case when govt. does something, but not when it is done by individual companies.

Comment

Originally posted by dhir:
          Do you know why companies come and open projects in a foreign land, its not to help the other country, which may be the case when govt. does something, but not when it is done by individual companies.
          Please try harder, You saying we don't need electricity. Or are you saying Chinese companies are investing in Pak without the knowledge of Chinese govt.

I wonder how they kept Chashma I & II secret from the commies

Comment

I have no problem if that makes you happy. But it will be your coal, your manpower, your land and they will be earning profit out of it. So it is not that they will be giving you something, but simply taking out. They are making the horse feel thirsty.

Comment

I have no problem if that makes you happy. But it will be your coal, your manpower, your land and they will be earning profit out of it. So it is not that they will be giving you something, but simply taking out. They are making the horse feel thirsty.

China is certainly ahead of most of third world countries, and we need all the help we can get financial/technological to devlop Gawadar port, Coastal Hiway, Nuclear reactors, thermal/hydro projects and several others. With several Chinese mega projects going and several in the pipeline its hardly a sign of cooling of relations.

Comment

Gawadar Port, I think I read it somewhere that China is developing this port in order to have a greater presence in the Indian Ocean region and beyond, same is now true for US who are making bases in Pakistan to have a presence in South Asia and beyond. With China and US dancing in your backyard all the time, Pakistan will no doubt soon become a super power.

Comment

Totally baseless...

China has been helping Pakistan in so many ways, no one in the international community would even think of what they are doing for Pakistan. Here is a recent example of China's trust in Pakistan...

China was left aside by USA/Russia for the international space station project (ISS). Thus they made plans to start their own space programme and are working very hard on it. December's issue of the IEEE Spectrum Magazine describes their space programme in details and also mentions that China setup its first international tracking station in Pakistan. Now China would only setup such a strategic station in a country that it trusts and considers as a friend. The article also states that the location of this station in Pakistan is unknown, proving without shadow of a doubt that the two are working side by side on this. China was also responsible in launching some Pakistani satellites in orbit a while back, and there have been agreements to launch another one after 3 months. This just shows how much cooperation exists b/w the two countries.

Comment

Gawadar Port, I think I read it somewhere that China is developing this port in order to have a greater presence in the Indian Ocean region and beyond, same is now true for US who are making bases in Pakistan to have a presence in South Asia and beyond. With China and US dancing in your backyard all the time, Pakistan will no doubt soon become a super power.
                    Gawadar port is just the tip of the iceberge. And a road link from Gawadar to CIS countries is also for Chinese presence in warm waters! what next.... Perhaps you should read the news papers more often.

P.S: No intention of becoming a superpower like India

Comment

abdali i cant imagine chinese troops and american troops having bases in pakistan.
                      may be it is good for india it will make pakistan more moderate.somebody must be there to insure radical dont take over.

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                        abdali i cant imagine chinese troops and american troops having bases in pakistan.
                        may be it is good for india it will make pakistan more moderate.somebody must be there to insure radical dont take over.
                        You should worry about India the mighty superpower the bread basket of the world.

Comment

Working...
                        X