Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will President Musharraf call early elections - early as July or August?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will President Musharraf call early elections - early as July or August?

Is the President now so confident of his position and popularity among the people that he will bring forward the election date to July or August? It would sure catch the disparate and divided political parties by surprise, and thus work to the Presidentís advantage.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/pakistan/S...632296,00.html

Senior Pakistani officials say the general is now so confident of his position that he intends to bring forward general elections which were due to be held in October and which will be the first since he seized power in a coup more than two years ago. Unless the current military tension with India turns into a conflict the president might announce an election date as early as July or August, the officials said. An early poll would allow him to capitalise on his perceived support at home and the backing he has secured from western governments since he agreed to help America's war in Afghanistan.

Although Gen Musharraf, who made himself president last year, will not stand for election himself he needs either a national referendum or a vote in parliament to endorse his coup and his position as president. Pakistan's last military dictator, General Zia-ul Haq, won endorsement through an often criticised referendum. "I think early elections are a realistic possibility unless we go to war," said Ijaz-ul Haq, the politician son of Gen Zia who is known still to have close contacts with the army. "Things are working for him at the moment. He is being accepted internationally. He can get away with anything."

I think it might not be a good idea... Zia made a similar move when he rescheduled the elections to an early date when he heard the news about Benazirs pregnancy, however this move of his back fired, and Benazir was successful in winning the elections. Gen. Musharraf therefore might not be successful in catching the political parties offguard.

I think he should stick to his presribed timetable, and before holding elections he ought to fully deweaponize the country and bring a complete end to sectarian violence.

Comment

General Musharraf is certainly not General Zia, as we have seen in his approach to the extremist tendancies in our society. Whether these rumours are true I am sure that the President will take any decision with the same political acumen and astuteness that he has shown with his other high profile decisions since October 1999. The new electoral chairman has been appointed, and the new electoral rolls will have been completed by February. So logistically speaking there is nothing holding him back from a July/August election. If this is the President's plans then the government should be announcing the consitutional ammendments soon, and what type of constitutional struture we will have. We may have some crucial months ahead for Pakistan...

Comment

mallik would you accept bhutto if elected?
        also it will improve the image of pakistan
        having elected women priminster.

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
          mallik would you accept bhutto if elected?
          also it will improve the image of pakistan
          having elected women priminster.
          Pakistan has twice elected a woman Prime Minister (her) if you cared to remember.

I accept that this time Pakistani people will be choosing someone new and more interested in governing for the people, than looting from the people.

Comment

He already declared he will continue to be President.
            Now, I concede Pakistan's constitution is Pakistan's business, but Perveez Mushraaf at this point absolutely trashed it.
            He is the C.E.(Whatever that is!!) and the president and CEO or whatever as well the head of Army.
            Now a smart thing would be to write the Constitution on a slate so you can wipe it out and rewrite it with Chalk whenever you want
            Convenient and cheap
            As for Elections I guess he would hold them, sort of.
            After all whoever comes in can kicked out as easily!!

Comment

News from the Grapevine is Prez Mush is holding talks with PPP leader Benazir Bhutto - They are planning to make a deal in which Benazir will be the PM and Prez will continue to be the President

------------------
              AK

Comment

News from the Grapevine is Prez Mush is holding talks with PPP leader Benazir Bhutto - They are planning to make a deal in which Benazir will be the PM and Prez will continue to be the President
                What if Benazir fails to win the elections?

Comment

Originally posted by Asif_k:

In fact these sort of rumours have been on the grapevine since December 2000 when Nawaz Sharif was exiled. Most analysts have concluded that any 'deal' would be centered around BB remaining a figurehead leader of the PPP, while a PPP supremo i.e. Makhdoom Amin Fahim would be PM if the PPP ever won the elections. Even for this 'deal' BB would have to swallow a great deal of her remaining 'principles' i.e. subserviance to a strong Presidency.

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited January 15, 2002).]

Comment

Well, I dont know if the rumours of Benazir having talks with Musharraf are true or not... However, if (and only if) her party does infact win the elections, she is the best person in her party to become the PM. She is no doubt a skilled and capable leader, with excellent diplomatic skills, but it is her intentions that matter most. If she learns from her past mistakes; reconsiders her views on India and the stance on Kashmir, she would be a capable of leading this nation, but the question still remains....

Will the people of Pakistan giver her yet another chance?

She argues that she was never given a full term, and she actively supported the removal of 52-b from the constituition, so lets wait and see what happens...

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
                      She argues that she was never given a full term, and she actively supported the removal of 52-b from the constituition, so lets wait and see what happens...
                      That's where my point about her having to compromise on her remaining 'principles' comes in. Under whatever 'deal' the PPP comes to with the government her party would have to accept the restoration of that article in the consitution i.e. the restoration of the Presidential powers to dismiss the Prime Minister. That is the least of what they have to accept, for they would also have to accept General Musharraf's Presidency being (constitutionally)formalised by the new parliament for at least a five year term (until 2007 at least). Plus acceptance of a National Security Council formalising the role of the military (and others) in the government of the country.

As for her learning from her past mistakes. For starters she would have to return the money her and her husband have looted from Pakistan over the years. Can she admit such 'mistakes'? I doubt it...

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited January 15, 2002).]

Comment

mallik you argue and post so mcuh about
                        UN resoutions what about pakistani constitution?what it says about removal
                        of elected goverment even though it is corrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                          mallik you argue and post so mcuh about
                          UN resoutions what about pakistani constitution?what it says about removal
                          of elected goverment even though it is corrupt.
                          All corrupt governments that were removed in the past were removed by Presidential powers enshrined in the Pakistani constituion, or by judicial approval.

But seen as you are upholding the principle of legality and democracy, when are you going to let the Kashmiri's the vote on their destiny that you promised, and enshrined in UN Resolutions? Or do you only believe in selective democracy?

Comment

Originally posted by Malik73:
                            All corrupt governments that were removed in the past were removed by Presidential powers enshrined in the Pakistani constituion, or by judicial approval.
                            Lie. Big Lie. sahmefull lie

Musharaf overthrew the constitution. There is no law in constitution which says that COAS can throw the civilian govt.

Comment

Originally posted by FreeMind:
                              Lie. Big Lie. sahmefull lie

Musharaf overthrew the constitution. There is no law in constitution which says that COAS can throw the civilian govt.

Benazir Bhutto - dismissed Aug 1990, using constitutional powers.

Nawaz Sharif - dismissed May 1993, using constitutional powers, but restored by Supreme Court June 1993, and then resigned himself in July 1993.

Benazir Bhutto - dismissed November 1996, using constitutional powers.

Nawaz Sharif - overthrown October 1999. Supreme Court of Pakistan validated this removal.

Those are the facts.

P.S. In your reply don't launch into your usual and predictable tirade against the military, Wahabi's etc or I will have to remind you of your past not so factual claims ranging from Iran, Lockerbie and US Senators.

Comment

Working...
                              X