Elections 2002- PR is the answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elections 2002- PR is the answer

There seems to be a firm commitment from the govt to hold elections next year. This concerns me a bit as I firmly believe that the current system of elections does not work in a country like Pakistan. You can already see the likes of BB & NS positioning themselves to become PM to take advantage of the new riches being donated to pakistan!!

I think the elections of 2002 should be based on the system of "Proportional Representation" in which elections are held on a party based system but there are no candidates in the contituencies. The public would vote for their party of choice and the seats are filled by the parties according to their proportion of votes gained (a list of future MPs in order of priority would be published by the party prior to the elections). I think the system would have many advantages , such as:

1. It would be very difficult to rig the elections;

2. The national elections would not be held ransom to local rivalries;

3. All minority parties would be represented in the assembly (like IK's Tehreek-e-Insaaf) as they are bound to get a proportion of votes. This would break the current duopoly.

4. Elections would be fought on party manifestos rather than personalities;

5. Political parties would become more progressive and meritocratic if they have to decide on members of assembly before the elections

etc. etc. plus many more !!

As well as PR, the following rules should be made:

1. A PM can serve only 1 term in office. He could however be an MP after serving his term.
    2. The term of office should be 3 or 4 years and not 5.
    3. The list of MPs issued by the parties should be scrutinized by the election commission.

What do you guys think? I think it is an ace idea !!

Proportional Representation is not all it is chalked out to be either, you are assuming parties like the PPP will only bag a certain amount of the vote according to the previous elections, when yu compete in first past the post elections ..you often do not contest in certain areas because you know you won't win , hence previous elections are not a good representation of %ages of votes cast.
    Another issue is in most PR systems there is a minmum percentage you need before you get represented.

Most importantly by pre selecting candidates you have people who are totally unelectable normally, appointed into te senate(the place where I am assuming you think it should be applied too.

All this would make little difference is the body ..the senate has little real power of ratification, or confirmation of decisions or appointments.
    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

Originally posted by Zakk:
      Proportional Representation is not all it is chalked out to be either, you are assuming parties like the PPP will only bag a certain amount of the vote according to the previous elections, when yu compete in first past the post elections ..you often do not contest in certain areas because you know you won't win , hence previous elections are not a good representation of %ages of votes cast.
      Another issue is in most PR systems there is a minmum percentage you need before you get represented.

Most importantly by pre selecting candidates you have people who are totally unelectable normally, appointed into te senate(the place where I am assuming you think it should be applied too.

All this would make little difference is the body ..the senate has little real power of ratification, or confirmation of decisions or appointments.
      Firstly, I am fairly certain that if PPP & PML were to compete in all constituencies, they would each bag about 35% - 40% of the votes (max) so they would have to form a coalition with the other parties.

Secondly, I believe there should be a target for a minimum percentage of turnout to validate any election. So that would not be a bad thing.

Thirdly, in Pakistan we have seen the electable minority and we know how they make themselves electable (money & badmashi) so being unelectable in Pakstan is a compliment!! It should promote the unelectable people who are educated & decent but lack money to compete with the bigwigs.

Lastly, I am not suggesting this for the senate but for the National Assembly which has all the powers you need to pass legislation etc.

Comment

With reference to my earlier thread, it seems like the prez may follow my advice after all !!!
        http://www.jang-group.com/thenews/ja...main/main4.htm

Comment

The government has already announced that some 25% of seats in the enlarged National Assemly will be elected according to PR. This 25% are the 60 reserved seats for women, and the 25 reserved seats for technocrats. They have not as yet announced electing the 265 general seats according to PR.

Even if the government allows PR for those 25% reserved seats it will allow parties like Imran Khan's PTI to win seats. To extnd PR to all the seats would mean losing the constituency link - thats is they go for the pure PR i.e. the list system. I am not to sure that the government would find it easy to convince people of the merits of this sort of PR that easily.

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited January 20, 2002).]

Comment

This is all bull$hit. Already such failure systems have tried by Ayub Khan and Zia-ul-Haq in Past. Which have only resulted in sinking whole nation in deep$hit again and again. Why not simple free and impartial elections on party basis be conducted under 1973 constitution of Pakistan?

Can’t we learn any thing from past tragedies and humiliations? “Kutay ki dum teri ki teri.”

FARID

Comment

Working...
            X