Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government abolishes the Separate Electoarate

Brilliant move!

All Pakistani's regardless of religion will vote for one member, and no separate seats 'reserved' on the basis of religion.

NRB abolishes Separate Electorate

NRB has decided that the next elections of the National Assembly will be contested under joint electorate. As the present system of separate electorate has been done away with, there will be no separate seats for minorities.

Under the old system, minorities used to have ten reserved seats but now they will be eligible to contest against any general seat from any constituency.

Hey…chance for me to go back to Pakistan and run for office. I sincerely hope that this is not just in electoral process, but all other opportunities as well, e.g., abolishing restrictions in civil service employment, etc.

NYA, next Mayor of Lahore

Comment

Originally posted by NYAhmadi:
      NYA, next Mayor of Lahore
      I wonder who would run against you? Xtreme?

Comment

i personally thought that seats for minorities was a good idea... it at least provided a representation to the minorities which they will not get now.

As long as there was no restriction on them standing in regular seats.. having set seats for minorities would have been one of the best representation of minorities in any country in the world.

Now considering Pakistan has only 3 percent minority, what chance do we have to see people like Mr Na'ik in the national assembly

Comment

BZ…what %age of Americans are Quakers? What %age of Pakistanis have won the Noble Prize? It’s all about treating people equally. The reserved seats that you are talking about was the biggest trickery of any kind. Those selected for reserved seats had no say in the national matters. I know 2 of them personally, and they would have made an outstanding MNAs regardless of their religious belief. It’s not about Minority Representation per say, it is about having equal stake in the country that you call home.

Malik....Xtreme??? Over my deadbody (or "Not oever my dead-body", as Bush would put it).

Comment

Good news ..........This was long overdue. Seperating electorate system does not offer anything to minorities. Minorities were against this type of electorate. This is one more setp in right direction. welldone

Comment

I agree NYA all Pakistani's regardless of their religious affiliation should be treated the same and equally when it comes to voting. While in theory it sounds good to have 10 of the 217 elected seats in the National Assembly reserved for minorites it has not translated into fair and due representation for the minorities in the government of the country.

The palpable unfairness of these reserved seats was that these 10 were not constituency-based seats (like the 207 Muslim seats) but elected across Pakistan in one slate. So you would have 4 Christian members elected by the 1 million Christian voters of Pakistan to represent all the Christians of Pakistan. A Christian constituent in Lahore, Karachi, Peshawer or Quetta would have to lobby these Pakistan-wide MNA's, and could not really take their grievances to to the local (Muslim) constituency MNA. The Joint Electorate will abolish this unfairness.

Comment

but NYA who would vote for you???

------------------
                Ours is not to reason why;
                Ours is but to do and die
                You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Alhamdulillah!

NYA, come to Toba Tek Singh and we will elect you as mayor of chak choranway!
                  I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                  - Robert McCloskey

Comment

To refresh the memory of our pro-army blind ppl, it was zia who promulgated separate electorate.

Now again it is another army leader cleanign the mess created by his ex. But the sorry part is that, it is all being done not with some willingness, but under American threats.

Comment

Originally posted by CM:
                      but NYA who would vote for you???

Another Feather in Prez Mush's Cap. Equally heartening to see all pakistani brothers supporting his move.

------------------
                      AK

Comment

Originally posted by FreeMind:
                        But the sorry part is that, it is all being done not with some willingness, but under American threats.

Of course it is. But it's so predicatable of you, but we expect no less from you.

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited January 16, 2002).]

Comment

Who said Zia can not be wrong freemind??
                          And predictable of Freemind.
                          I bet he will say Rumsfeild should be given credit for our financial situation.

------------------
                          Ours is not to reason why;
                          Ours is but to do and die
                          You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Originally posted by CM:
                            Who said Zia can not be wrong freemind??
                            And predictable of Freemind.
                            I bet he will say Rumsfeild should be given credit for our financial situation.

Don't worry I am sure he will come back with that accusation soon, and surely flip flop from it as well.

Comment

Having separate electorates was a big agenda for pre independence Muslim League.
                              Their chief complaint against Congress was that they want no separate Electorates, but universal franchise.
                              I am glad Pakistan came to the same conclusion fifty years after independence

Comment

Working...
                              X