X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

President General Pervez Musharraf address to the nation

http://www.jang-group.com/thenews/sp...raf/index.html

President General Pervez Musharraf address to the nation at 7:30 pm

(Kindly excuse us for any typo errors that may occur as the speech is posted)
    Bismillah.

My Pakistani brothers and sisters. As you know as i assumed this post.

In my first speech on Oct. 17, I said Islam teaches tolerance not hatered. Universal brotherhood and not violence. I have great respect for the Ulema and urge them to come forward and curb violence, which is bringing a bad name to our religion. After this i took several steps. In 2000, I started inbteracting with Taliban, and advised them tolerance and balance. Unfortunately we did not find success. So, i sealed the borders of Afghanistan and Pakistan. I Sent several delegations to Mullah Umar, urged them tolerance and balance. We passed the weapons ordinance. On June 5, I addressed the Ulema and discussed with them this issue. On 14 Aug, we took a decision. In which we bamnned Lashkar-e Jhangvi and Sipa-e Muhammad. After this i held meetings with Ulema, so that i take them along with me in the fight against terrorism. The reason im telling you all this in detail is that fight against terrorism sould be our national interest. This is not under any external pressure that we should eliminate terrorism, but it should be our national interest.

After the terrorist act passed by natons following the Spet 11 incident, we joined the international coalition. We took this stepo in our national interest. By the grace of Allah our desicion was right. Im happy that Paki8stan's majority was ij favour o fmy decision. Im proud of it. I regret that few extremist groups were against the decision , which was not for any principle reason, but they tried to prioritise their interest over national interest. They tried their best to lead astray the nation through their demos. Im proud of my people that they went against those extremoists. I have interacted with these Ulemas often. I should say that suc meetings were productive. A few extremeists that im talking about are those who call themselves the custodian of Islam. They were under the impression that Taliban were practising the purest form of Islam. These were those who dont even talk of Hookukulibad in Islam. I ask of these extremist, who is responsible for the deathof Pakistanis in Afghanistan. We shoudl learn from their mistakes. We should realise that we are all Pakistan. This is our land, abroad we have nothing. This extremism has been going on for years and now its beyond lmit. And a common man wants relief from this.

This calls for an important decision. Are we to make Pakistan a theocratic state , or are we to make Pakistan a Islamic welfare state? My decision is in line with the teachings of the prophet and the principles of our Quaid. Let's see what have been going on. ....

Pakistan Afghan Defence Council was made, which never though of any good for Afghanistan, neither did it give anything good to Pakistan. And because of their negative thinking Afghanisatn had to face destruction. Edhi and international NGOs helped Afghanistan, but our people were inclined towards destruction. Is violence the only thing they know. Is it what Islam teaches? Apart from Afghanistan, lets see what they have been doing. They have been waging wars between various sects in Pakistan. There is no wrong in freedom of thought, but it should be limited to intellectual debate only. There is no tolerance in these groups. QUaid had said Islam would show equality towards all religions. But here we are killing each other. We have converted less non-Muslims into Muslims than we have converted Muslims to Islam. In Masjid, Imam Bargah, we killed each other. People are now afraid to go to these sacred places. And so unfortunate it is that we have to deploy security to protect people in holy places.

One of the groups leaders was a Masjid's imam, and he was charged with murder of several people. Now something about madressas. These are excellent welfare organisations where the poor are treated. Alot of these madressas are offering good education, including the teaching of science, without any monetary funds from the government. I have prmoted these madresahs abroad also. Now some negatives about the madressahs. There are many madressas that are imparting only religious education, which does nothing but produces semi-religious ulema.

Remember that Islam paces much importance to madressas, they are considered a source of light, and beacon for the world. Every discipline is taught here. Many renowned scholars of Islam are the product of such madressas. From 7th to 15th century, the transfer of technology was done by Muslim scholars.

Now, just think where have we reached. Pakistan has been made a soft state, which the supremacy of the law dos not exist. This cannot be tolerated any longer. Now, which is the right way to follow. You cannot change the thinking by force. You cannot foist any idea on anybody. For real change on should himself be a model and example, through intelleect and superior moral standing. So why should we force people into believing. Have we forgotten the examples of our sufis.

Now i should talk about th concept of Jihad. This is such a contentious issue that we should all know about. Jihad in Islam is not limited to militant Jihad. The Jihad against poverty is illiteracy is a far greater Jihad. Askari Jihad which is a small Jihad should be replaced by the bigger Jihad, Jihad-e-Akbar, to curb social evils. And I should say that Pakistan has not taken the onus of promoting the militant Jihad in the world. Educational institutes should have the teachings of HukukulIbad. We should teach tolerance, forgiveness and brotherhood to eac other, that is the real spirit of Islam. We should shed the negative traits and adopts positive outlook. We should teach all subjects in madressas.

Even if we want to make imams of masjids from these madressas, these educated should be the ones, so that he can properly guide others. A graduate of madressas should be brought to the mainstream of the society, by proving better education to madressaa students, who would have chances of jobs anywhere else in the society. We should eliminate their weaknesses. We wish to give them freedom, but expect some responsibility from them. Now aftre all this talk, i wish to cme to some decisions.

Every institution should work in a regulated manner. No organisation or person would not be allowed to break the law. We should eliminate militancy, hatred. We should stop extremisst from exploiting the poor into taking up arms in the name of Islam. We should stop them from interference abraod.

Three important issues are such that have led to conflict in our minds.

1) Kashmir cause.
    2) International conflicts in which Muslims are involved.
    3) Sectarian differences.

I want to set rules about thses issues.

First Kashmir. Kashmir runs in our blood. No pakistani can break relations with Kashmir. Kashmir will be given moral, diplomatic support to Kashmiri people. In our view, Kashmir solution lies in peaceful means and dialogue through consultations with its people. No organisation will be allowed to perpetuate terrorism behind the garb of Kashmir cause. We will take strict action against any Pakistani who is involved in terrorism in the country or abroad. Our behaviuour shoudl be acording to international norms. On tis occasion i wish to send some message to Indian President Mr. Vajpayee. If we wish to normalise Pak-India relations, we should solve the kashmir issue through peaceful manner, dialogue and in consultations with Kashmniris. I would quote Mr. Vajpayee. Mindset s will have to be altered. Hisptrical perspective wil have to be altered. I would as commander of armed forces would give you a message. We are ready to face any threat from outside. We are ready to die for our country. No one should try to cross the border. No one should remain under any asumption. I would now like to address the international community, espceially US. Pakistan rejects terrorism in all forms and manifestation. Now you must play an active role inKashmir dispute fo rthe sake of lasting peace in the region. Keeping in mind people of Kahsmir cannot be suppressed. YOu ask India yto bring an end to state terrorism and human rights violations. UN peace kepers be allowd to monitor activities in Kashmir.

Now on international conflicts, were we show much concern. Our people without thinking jump into such disputes. This is the responsibility of the government. Try to present you view in a civilised manner. Reacting in anger makes no sense. Stopn interfering in other's affairs. First you must have force before you intend to interfere.

Now on internal affairs. No person, party would be allowed to break the law. Everything will function according to rules and regulations. Terrorism, sectarianism should stop. On 14 Aug. I banned lashkar-Jangvi and SIpahe Muhammad. I regret, the situation has changed yet. Sectarian violence in continuiing. 400 people were killed in sectarian violence. Most of those we have caught nblng to SIpaeSahaba. This situation is now out of control. So i ban Sipa Sahaba and TJP. And all those parties. who have misled the poor people. Sunni tehrik is also banned. No organisation or individual, if encourages people towards violence , will be strictly dealth with. Let mosques be a sacred place. All mosques will be registered, loud speakers only for Azans and Juma prayers. Any misue will be strictly dealth with. No political activities within the mosuqe jurisdiction will be allowed. I urge Imams to lead people towars positive attitudes and teach them the right spirit of Islam. I will srictly deal with people who do not follow these regulations.

Now on madressas. Some important points. Im happy that all madressa policies have been made in consultation with the Ulemas. We have to get rid of the weaknesses. and improve their functioning. The same rules and regulation will be iposed on madressas as in other schools and colleges. No new madresaas will be open without issuance of NOC. Any madressa indulging in militancy will be shut down. I have also ordered improvement of courses which should be inclusive of proper Islamic education. teachers in madressas will require NOCs. All foreign students in madressas will not be returned to their countries, but will hae to take NOCs from their respective countries. Making rules and regulations is easy but implemetation is tough. In this view, police and law enforcement agencies should perform to their level best. Police has been directed to ensure tat all these directives are implemented. I have no doubt that the police has the capability to cary out this task/ and they will have paramilitary rangers in their support.

All court cases will be tried in judiciary.

No Pakistani will not be handed over. An if evidence against them is found, we would try them in our country according to our own law. If foreign militants are found in our country, we will decide an appropriate action. My dear brothers and sisters, there are 98% Muslim in Pakistan. We should b a proper Islamic state. Pakistan should be made stronger. We have the strength. We can deal with internal as well as external problems. Internal problems are eating us as mites. The world is on the path to development. Solutions will come from technological development, mental enlightenment and human resources development

I appeal you to rise. Wipe out intolerance and hypocrisy. True Islam teachings should be followed. Unity Faith and Discipline should be followed, as said by Quaid. Without unity we can do nothing. I quote a verse from Iqbal.

Pakistan- Paindabad.

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited January 12, 2002).]

Excellent Speech...

It has been termed as music to Washington's ears and disspointment for New Delhi's.

In his speech he has clearly warned Vajpayee what will happen if he tries to cross the border. No one will be handed over to India The international communicty has been urged to mediate and help solve the Kashmir dispute. Basically not much importance was given to India in this speech, which the Indians term as throwing salt at their wounds. The banning of jaish and lashkar comes as no surprise, and I am sure that this would in no way affect the freedom struggle in Kashmir as the General has vowed to continue support for the liberation of Kashmir.

The rest of the steps were those of the mosques and madrassas. They are not being shut down, simply being legalized through NOCs and giving warnings of not promoting ethnic or terrorist activities in anyway. This will help Pakistan as Pakistan has been a victim of ethnic and terrorist violence in the past, which has been aided by RAW.

Excellent speech... I am sure everyone in the whole world will praise it, Indians excluded ofcourse

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
      Excellent Speech...

It has been termed as music to Washington's ears and disspointment for New Delhi's.

In his speech he has clearly warned Vajpayee what will happen if he tries to cross the border. No one will be handed over to India The international communicty has been urged to mediate and help solve the Kashmir dispute. Basically not much importance was given to India in this speech, which the Indians term as throwing salt at their wounds. The banning of jaish and lashkar comes as no surprise, and I am sure that this would in no way affect the freedom struggle in Kashmir as the General has vowed to continue support for the liberation of Kashmir.

The rest of the steps were those of the mosques and madrassas. They are not being shut down, simply being legalized through NOCs and giving warnings of not promoting ethnic or terrorist activities in anyway. This will help Pakistan as Pakistan has been a victim of ethnic and terrorist violence in the past, which has been aided by RAW.

Excellent speech... I am sure everyone in the whole world will praise it, Indians excluded ofcourse
      What the hell Spock seeing they are not getting anywhere they will do what they do best. Go home and declare vijay.

Oh BTW banning an org means giving it a new face. He actually banned quite a few in August but it will hardly make any difference. Let me give you an example, When US banned Harkat-ul-Ansar due to Indian whining they changed their name to Harakat-ul-Muhajdeen and are operating as we speak. Any org involved in sectarian violence must be banned.

India has only one choice either cross over or shutup and go home.

Comment

I just finished watching the speech, and I must say our great President was truly excellent in the things he said. There is nothing in the speech that I could disagree with, in fact it is the vision of Pakistan that I and the overwhelming majority of Pakistani's believe in. A Pakistan that is an Islamic welfare state according to the teachings of our Prophet (PBUH) and re-inforced by the principals of the founder of our nation, the Quaid-i-Azam.

It's especially encouraging that he went ahead with his promise of Aug 14 2001 and banned those sectarian bigots and murderers, the Sipah-i-Sahaba, and Tehrik-i-Jafria Pakistan. This move was well overdue.

I especially liked this line, which must have given our neighbours some heartburn:-

Kashmir runs in our blood. No Pakistani can break relations with Kashmir. Kashmir will be given moral, diplomatic support to Kashmiri people.

God bless our President Musharraf!

Long live Pakistan!

Comment

Originally posted by Spock:
          No one will be handed over to India
          nope! he said no pakistani will behanded over. 3/4th in list that india is asking are indian nationals like dawood ibrahim. so wait and watch.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ:
            nope! he said no pakistani will behanded over. 3/4th in list that india is asking are indian nationals like dawood ibrahim. so wait and watch.

Oh so now all of them are Indian terrorist. hmmmm I hear one of them actually called Advani and told him to stick Indian nationality. I bugged his phone

"An if evidence against them is found, we would try them in our country according to our own law."

And please note you try them where the crime is commited unless of course you are US.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!! Back to the drawing board another round of Jasso, Vajoo and Advani visit to US.

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited January 12, 2002).]

Comment

Though I am deadly against any type of dictatorship rule, Musharaf has taken action in the right direction. Next, he should close down all small mosques in same vicinity and ban use of loud speakers for transmitting the nuisance in residential colonies.

FARID

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ:

Well, isnt it apparent to you that what he meant was no one would be handed over to India. As for Pakistanis, he said the question of handing them over to India was absurd, and for non-muslims, action will be taken against them, this does not imply that they will be handed over to India. He was trying to distinguish the other terrorists (i.e. the ones that the US wants). For e.g. if Osama is found in Pakistan, he would be handed over to the US, this is what he meant. The waiting peroid for Indians is over... Musharaf has delivered his speech, and basically this speech was a big LPC to India, if you know what that means.

Comment

Originally posted by Farid:
                  Though I am deadly against any type of dictatorship rule, Musharaf has taken action in the right direction. Next, he should close down all small mosques in same vicinity and ban use of loud speakers for transmitting the nuisance in residential colonies.

FARID

I would agree and disgree,

Any place of worship mosque, church, temple regardless must be left alone as long as they are not involved in any unlawful activity. A mulla must teach progressive tolerant islam.

And yes they must ban 8 loud speakers blasting your brain out and replace it with radios. I know how it feals when 4 mosques start at the same time.

Comment

Good speech. It is about time action was taken against the relgious extremists.

His statements on Kashmir were good and he should be applauded for telling India to get lost as far as handing over prisoners was concerned.

The best point as far as I was concerned was when he asked US to exert pressure on India to stop state sponsored terrorism in Kashmir.

Comment

Originally posted by chosen1:
                      Good speech. It is about time action was taken against the relgious extremists.

His statements on Kashmir were good and he should be applauded for telling India to get lost as far as handing over prisoners was concerned.

The best point as far as I was concerned was when he asked US to exert pressure on India to stop state sponsored terrorism in Kashmir.
                      Absolutely correct. The President got more than an hour of live free time on all the major western news networks to bluntly state the Kashmir cause. He has now well and truly put the onus on India to make moves on solving the Kashmir dispute according to the wishes of the Kashmiri people. Could any western democrat argue with that principle?

Comment

apna cheetah!!!...
                        mushy all the way...

God bless u all...

DerVaisH

------------------
                        muhabatein theen kabhi apne dermian kitni...
                        bicha gaye hai anna hum mein doorian kitni...
                        abhi to toota hai dil hi teri judai mein...
                        girein gi hum pe abhi aur bijlian kitni...

Comment

Musharraf has once again sung the tune of his western masters, propogating extremely dangerous and warped views to the Pakistani nation. It is a shame that so many will fall for it.

He had the nerve to say that by the grace of Allah (swt) Pakistan's decision to aid the kuffar in killing Muslims in Afghanistan was the right choice and that his intentions were clean.

This man is a disgrace. A sell out. A coward.

He turns to the Whitehouse for his solutions and not to the Qibla.

[This message has been edited by The Godfather (edited January 12, 2002).]

Comment

>>Could any western democrat argue with that principle?>>

[/B][/QUOTE]

No!! but the biggest Democracy-India can

------------------
                            "Allah Key Sheroon ko aati nahi robahi"

Comment

Hey ppl!I'm new to this place.I really love Mushi & its good that he's clamping down on extremists but shouldnt it have happened long ago.........when he was'nt under pressure from the US......and India.I just read Ayaz Amir's article on Dawn.He's right-India won't be satisfied with anything Pakistan does.The Indian media is busy whipping up war hysteria,claiming Pakistan's measures are just an eyewash.But if Pakistan helped the US in its war, shouldnt the US be more supportive of Pakistan in times like this?I'm not sure national interests are being served by joining this hypocritical "coalition against terror"

Comment

Working...
                              X