2002:Year of the Mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002:Year of the Mountains

I am sure many you might be aware that year 2002 has been declared globaly as the year of the mountains. Some of the celebrations include skiing competition in Malam Jabba Swat, rock climbing in Ziarat and Quetta, trekking programmes for expatriates in Northern areas and 10 week Pak-China expedition to K-2. For more information on this click on the following link http://www.tourism.gov.pk/Pak_events_2002.html

[This message has been edited by Abdullah k (edited November 27, 2001).]

Abdullah

there are 2 specifc programns someone asked info for.

1) a more "recreational" k2 tour where a chopper takes you to a certain altitude and then you climb up a bit.

2) an aerial tour where small planes with justwindow seats fly over the northern areas.

Do you have any info on those?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraudz:
      Abdullah

there are 2 specifc programns someone asked info for.

1) a more "recreational" k2 tour where a chopper takes you to a certain altitude and then you climb up a bit.

2) an aerial tour where small planes with justwindow seats fly over the northern areas.

Do you have any info on those?
      Answer to first question is yes. However, airspace around K-2 is only available to Pakistan army due to its proximity to Siachin. Every expedition which involves certain risk and possibility of evacuation requires deposit for a helicopter before it starts. I am also aware of many non emergency instances where army helicopters were rented to ferry climbers back and forth. Pakistan tourism has a seperate division which deals with mountaineering. It also acts as a liasion unit between foreign mountaineers and Pakistan army and make appropriate arrangements for each expedition. Skardu to base-camp K2 is about 7-8 days long strenous hike.

I am not aware of any company which offers services such as small airplanes specialty tours. However, flights from ISB to Skardu and Gilgit are breathtaking. You get to watch numerous towering mountains including Nanga Parbat, famous lakes such as Saif-al-Maluk and turquoise streams merging into merky waters of river Indus. It''s absolutely fascinating..and a must do.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdullah k:
        Answer to first question is yes. However, airspace around K-2 is only available to Pakistan army due to its proximity to Siachin. Every expedition which involves certain risk and possibility of evacuation requires deposit for a helicopter before it starts. I am also aware of many non emergency instances where army helicopters were rented to ferry climbers back and forth. Pakistan tourism has a seperate division which deals with mountaineering. It also acts as a liasion unit between foreign mountaineers and Pakistan army and make appropriate arrangements for each expedition. Skardu to base-camp K2 is about 7-8 days long strenous hike.

I am not aware of any company which offers services such as small airplanes specialty tours. However, flights from ISB to Skardu and Gilgit are breathtaking. You get to watch numerous towering mountains including Nanga Parbat, famous lakes such as Saif-al-Maluk and turquoise streams merging into merky waters of river Indus. It''s absolutely fascinating..and a must do.

I have plans to visit these sites, next question how safe is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
          I have plans to visit these sites, next question how safe is it?
          Abdali, it's very safe in the Northern areas of Pakistan. Roughly sixty thousand foreigners visited during the present summer tourist season. Towns like Skardu are literally taken over by different mountaineering teams during the peak season. The people are extremely friendly.

Comment

Who---me mentioned something about getting air-lifted to 12000ft costing a deposit of $7000 which is returned minus $500 costs on getting back.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdullah k:
              Abdali, it's very safe in the Northern areas of Pakistan. Roughly sixty thousand foreigners visited during the present summer tourist season. Towns like Skardu are literally taken over by different mountaineering teams during the peak season. The people are extremely friendly.
              My final destination is Northern Areas. My cousin went to Swat and said the food was great.

Comment

Working...
              X