Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan Slams the door on "Jihadis"

Pakistan Sentences Cleric to Prison

PESHAWAR, Pakistan (AP) - An Islamic cleric who led thousands of Pakistani tribesmen into Afghanistan (news - web sites) to fight alongside the Taliban was sentenced to three years in prison Wednesday. Thirty men who fought with him received the same sentence.

Maulana Sufi Mohammed, the leader of the Tehrik Nifaz Shariat-e-Mohammedi movement, which advocates imposing a harsh, Taliban-style version of Islamic law in northern Pakistan, was arrested Sunday in a remote tribal region on his return from Afghanistan with 30 companions.

The group was carrying a large quantity of weapons including Kalashnikov rifles, hand grenades, rocket launchers and heavy machine guns.

On Wednesday, Mohammed was found guilty of possessing illegal weapons and inciting people to violence and given the maximum 3-year sentence.

Mohammed's companions, including his 19-year-old son Ziauddin, also were convicted and given the same sentence.

The convicts have a right to appeal. But Mohammed's son Fazal Ullah said his father won't appeal, though he called the punishment unjust.

Mohammed's group claimed that he had led more than 10,000 armed tribesmen to Afghanistan last month to help the Islamic Taliban militia wage what he called jihad, or holy war, against the United States.

More than half his followers fled back to Pakistan after the collapse of the Taliban movement, which withdrew from most of the country under heavy U.S. bombing and assaults by rival Afghan factions.

Hundreds of Mohammed's followers are believed to have been killed or are missing. Hundreds more are stranded in Afghanistan, including some in northern Kunduz province, the last holdout by the Taliban against a siege by alliance forces.

I think this is a great ruling.Sufi ran back as soon as his buddies got their butts kicked but Im glad he`s paying the price.Maybe now,some of these nuts will learn a lesson.Next stop - the same sentence for Qazi Hussain,Fazul Rehman,Sami Ul Haq and Liaquat Balouch.
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2001...viction_1.html

Good step. Should have been taken a long time ago, since this guy has been disrupting peace in the Malakand region for the last 10 or so years, with one demand or the other. And you right on Yasir, about the rest of the bunch too.
    I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
    I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

Comment

What about Imran Khan, who's supporting all these shady characters ?

Comment

Imran khan, a jihadi type? oh man good one.

maybe we can just ban him for ball tampering
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Yeah agreed that this is good move to throw his ass in the slammer. I mean I would like to interview him and ask why he got so many ppl riled up under the banner of Jihad and stuff and then became a "bhagorra" and ran back?

personally I believe that elements like him and his goons would be entering Pakistan and use those weapons for destruction to create civil unrest. Govt needs to keep an eye on these guys and their likes.

I still do wonder, why he came back. he did not want to be a shaheed or what? buncha jack asses...lock em all up.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Just supporting (verbally) is one thing. To actually cross the border, armed to teeth, with the intention of fighting, and to top it off, to disrupt the due process of law within your own country by inciting people to blockade and kidnapping should surely be punished. And is rightly punished.

Having said that, I am still double-minded on this whole cross-border thing.

For many years, Pakistan government has provided complete support to uprising in Kashmir and has allowed similar groups of people to cross over to Indian Held Kashmir to fight. Similar groups have also gone to fight in Bosnia and Chechnya. Seemingly, if a person is determined to fight with his fellow "brothers" in a foreign territory there is no law against it.

So, why is it different this time around? Is it that these 10k people went against government policy of abandoning support of Talibaan? So basically, the message Pakistan government is sending out is that since we oppose Talibaan, so anyone crossing the border to help them is going to be punished but those who are willing to give up their lives fighting Indian, Russian or Serb armies can still go ahead, because GOP has no policy differences with those wars.

Comment

Well said Pristine. What is sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander..
              If you dont like ppl fighting for pasthoon afghanis ... to whom they are ethnicly blood related , ho wan you allow them to fight for fellow muslims who share nothing but the same religion?
              Double standards never got anywhere anyone . But I think the Gen will be uprooted by an army uprising and no other way but I dont see that coming for a long time to come . Hmm ... till then ,, bleed oh ye Kashmir ........

Originally posted by Pristine:
              Just supporting (verbally) is one thing. To actually cross the border, armed to teeth, with the intention of fighting, and to top it off, to disrupt the due process of law within your own country by inciting people to blockade and kidnapping should surely be punished. And is rightly punished.

Having said that, I am still double-minded on this whole cross-border thing.

For many years, Pakistan government has provided complete support to uprising in Kashmir and has allowed similar groups of people to cross over to Indian Held Kashmir to fight. Similar groups have also gone to fight in Bosnia and Chechnya. Seemingly, if a person is determined to fight with his fellow "brothers" in a foreign territory there is no law against it.

So, why is it different this time around? Is it that these 10k people went against government policy of abandoning support of Talibaan? So basically, the message Pakistan government is sending out is that since we oppose Talibaan, so anyone crossing the border to help them is going to be punished but those who are willing to give up their lives fighting Indian, Russian or Serb armies can still go ahead, because GOP has no policy differences with those wars.

------------------
              Religion was created by man.....but dont forget......man was created by God.... Allah Ho Akhbar, Halleluiah, Jay Dev..... all are salutations to the Great One....

Comment

Good.
                Now fry the rest crispy.
                Fundos are a blight on islam.

------------------
                Ours is not to reason why;
                Ours is but to do and die
                You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

that makes perfect sense but whats being bothering me (infact a lot) is the fate of those who have surrunderedd in Kondoz with taliban . I would certainly not like to see any pakistani getting butcherd by NA .What you guys think about that.

Comment

LOL, I hope ppl would realize that the only way pakistan is refrained from becomng another Iran is through democracy, the very democracy that existed in the days of Nawaz and BB and stuff. the only way we'll see another coup within the army or hot-blooded fanatics take over the government is if musharraf stay in power.

Comment

Working...
                    X