Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musharraf must be stopped: Benazir Bhutto

Musharraf must be stopped: Benazir Bhutto

Ajit Jain in Toronto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, who now lives with her children in Dubai, says that the military regime headed by General Pervez Musharraf "must be stopped from consolidating personal power at the expense of democratic and economic institutions of the country." In a full-page exclusive article in the Globe and Mail, her frustration with her personal predicament of not being able to go back to her country is
    abundantly clear. In fact in a CNN interview when Musharraf was in New York last week, Bhutto had pleaded that she should be allowed to go back to Pakistan. Bhutto quotes from Musharraf's recent statement in which he said he would "remain the president" and only "the legalities have to be worked out." According to the Pakistani supreme court's ruling, general elections must be held by October 2002 in Pakistan. Musharraf's "startling revelation raises
    concerns that the much-promised return to democracy is little more than a fig leaf for a continuation of military dictatorship," argues Bhutto. Pakistanis are worried "that Western support (to Musharraf) could translate into support for tyranny" and that is worrisome as "the stability of Pakistan is critical to the stability of South Asia, as well as the Muslim world," says Bhutto. She believes that this stability "is rooted in a return to a truly
    representative democratic order." "The war against terror is a war against those who commit acts of terror and those who harbour them. But it is more. It is a war for freedom and for humanity," Bhutto said. To her, Musharraf seems to be going the same road as former military dictator Zia ul-Haq.

I LOVE IT WHEN PAKIS HATE ME!

Link it or don't post it.

Second who really cares what she thinks??

------------------
    Ours is not to reason why;
    Ours is but to do and die
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

she can be such a comedian at times
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

She provides good entertainment, that's all I can say.

Comment

Originally posted by Malik73:
          She provides good entertainment, that's all I can say.
          Lets hope she can provide good leadership rather than just entertainment.We have enough entertainers - we just need good leaders!

Comment

Originally posted by Yasir -:
            Lets hope she can provide good leadership rather than just entertainment.We have enough entertainers - we just need good leaders!

Sorry Yasir I agree with you on a lot of things, but not this issue. She has been Prime Minister twice, for a total period of nearly five years. She is corrupt from top to bottom and will say anything to anyone to get back in to power. This woman is not a good leader, and will never be Prime Minister again, mark my words.

Comment

Malik,

You could be right.But if you look around,you cannot find any national leader who has the drawing power that she does.

Nobody can make excuses for her corruption but there HAS to be an alternative, before you write her off totally.

If not her - then who? Imran Khan ?

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yasir -:
                [B]Malik,

You could be right.But if you look around,you cannot find any national leader who has the drawing power that she does.

She is not a leader and forget about being her a national leader, ppl who throng after her are either her pay check recievers or those ppl who try to find charisma of her father in her. I hope she pays more attention on her kids upbringing to make them good persons instead of more bankrupting Pakistan.

Comment

Guys, I dont think it matters at the moment what she thinks. Privately, she SUPPORTS President Musharaffs handling of the Afghan issue but makes the odd statement against just to gain a little publicity. As for her future in Politics, Right now she doesnt have the same level of support as she did in the early 90's at the same time NAB are still investigating her dealings when she was PM. So You cant rule her in or out.

Comment

Malik,

Actually, from the options available she is the one I would go for too. I don't think she is corrupt, I think people around her are corrupt and she is not strong enough to make her mark - that is probably why she didn't do much when she was elected. She needs good advisors around her.

Nobody can make excuses for her corruption but there HAS to be an alternative, before you write her off totally.

Please no - 200 years of foreign rule was enough for me and I need the leader of Pakistan to be more intelligent than I am - and I am only of average intelligence!

[This message has been edited by Shada (edited November 19, 2001).]

Comment

Malik,

Yasir,

Her drawing power is as I said limited to parts of interior Sindh, but even that has been rapidly shrivelled away while she has been away. She has no support in Karachi apart from Lyari/Baloch Colony etc, no support in Balochistan, very little support in NWFP and her support in Punjab is limited to some rural seraik-speaking rural area's. I don't call that NATIONAL support for her.

Comment

She's still very popular in interior sindh - Malik - trust me. In 96, none of them voted for her but now - if there is an election next year then she will sweep Sindh yet again.The local body polls have also shown a remarkable turn around for the PPP - the same party that everyone wrote of in 96.

Karachi has always been a tough one - Urdu speaking areas will always vote for MQM whereas predominantly Sindhi areas such as Lyari are PPP's backyard.In a large city like Karachi - you cannot expect one party to win all the seats - though MQM admitedly came close.

Last time around - her party did well in Balouchistan and NWFP - again regional politics come into play and in those two provinces - coalitions are always the way to go.

I have no idea about Punjab.She has never done well there - though in the absence of Sharif - people could once again turn to her.
                        Then again,they could vote for another punjabi leader.

In Kashmir - PPP has been in power for a long time - and their support has increased in Azad Kashmir over the years.
                        (just an example).

I doubt whether there is a party that can sweep elections in all the provinces and territories - there will always be regional leaders who will take up a decent slice of the vote.

But she is the only one in the fray who can come close.

Interior Sindh is definately with her.You should see the people in the villages who still have her posters hung up all over their shops and bazaars etc.

Her being a Sindhi may have a lot to do with hith.Plus her last name is Bhutto.And IF people in Sindh come out to vote - then those two factors will always draw.

Comment

I think before elections get held in Pakistan, it would be better to hold elections in PPP. Lets see, what respect she commands there!! it is according to the essencse of democracy, right? and she is more democratic than NS? Lets see how much she has changed (in democratic terms).

[This message has been edited by sabah (edited November 20, 2001).]

Comment

from Musharraf to Benazir..

from one US puppet to another
                            JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Hell we should fry her on the spot, once she sets foot in pakistan.

------------------
                              Ours is not to reason why;
                              Ours is but to do and die
                              You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Working...
                              X