Pakistanis targetted in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistanis targetted in US

Most of the people arrested after Sept 11 in US are Pakistanis. INS has arrested many illegal Pakistanis and now FBI is raiding Pakistani home in search of Anthrax. http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2001...search_11.html
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2001..._search_5.html

Pakistani Native Stunned by FBI Raid
    By DAVID B. CARUSO, Associated Press Writer

CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - When armed FBI (news - web sites) agents suddenly broke down his door, held his wife at gunpoint, swabbed his furniture and questioned him about biochemical agents, Asif Kazi said it was like living a TV nightmare.

``I haven't had a parking ticket in my life. I'm shaking,'' said Kazi, who came to the United States from Pakistan in 1999. ``We watch 'The X-Files (news - Y! TV)' on television, but we never thought it would happen here.''

More than 30 FBI agents and a hazardous materials team participated in raids Tuesday at Kazi's home and a nearby building owned by Dr. Ishad Shaikh, another Pakistani native, who has been the city health commissioner since 1994.

Authorities wouldn't say why the homes were searched. FBI spokeswoman Linda Vizi has declined to identify the seized items. Federal court documents used to obtain search warrants were sealed. No charges have been filed.

Vizi said the searches were conducted without incident. Decontamination tents were set up in the area, but Vizi would not say why. She said there was ``no public safety issue'' and that neighbors were safe.

Kazi, 39, who is the accountant for this city about 15 miles southwest of Philadelphia, said Wednesday that agents swabbed his television screen and furniture and questioned him about anthrax and other biochemical agents. He denied any wrongdoing.

Kazi said agents told him he had been seen dumping a cloudy liquid on the ground behind his home and handing a silver canister to someone. The liquid, Kazi said, was soapy water from a clogged sink and the canister was a food dish.

Agents also smashed through Shaikh's front door about two blocks away. Shaikh, who also teaches part-time at Johns Hopkins University, shares the home with his brother, Masood Shaikh, who works in Chester's lead abatement program.

The FBI interviewed both men, who live above a medical office. They told reporters they had done nothing wrong and do not know what the agents were looking for. Kazi said he and Shaikh are friends.

Irshad Shaikh has been investigated before. In 1999, a grand jury investigated him following reports that he may have written prescriptions illegally. He was not indicted.

The first floor and basement of Shaikh's building were leased to AIDS (news - web sites) Care Group, a federally funded medical practice that provides low-cost care to people with sexually transmitted diseases.

The group's executive director, Dr. Howell Strauss, said the practice was renovating and planned to open in January. He said FBI agents took examination gloves, face masks, and glue.

Kazi's wife, Palwasha Jalawam, 38, said she was cooking breakfast Tuesday when armed agents broke down the door and held her at gunpoint. She said agents seized her prescription for Cipro, an antibiotic she takes to treat endometriosis. Cipro is also used for treating anthrax infections.

Kazi said he was served with a subpoena to appear Thursday before a grand jury in Philadelphia.

He said he is still uncertain why he is being investigated. ``I'm totally confused, but I'm an American citizen, and I'm ready to cooperate,'' he said.

Originally posted by mohabbat:

Kazi said agents told him he had been seen dumping a cloudy liquid on the ground behind his home and handing a silver canister to someone. The liquid, Kazi said, was soapy water from a clogged sink and the canister was a food dish.
    LOL!.....dont tell me that soap water and lunch boxed are banned in the US now. I can totally imagine what "silver canister" these spooks are talking about. I have one too ;-)

Idiots!

Comment

Luckily my nieghbours are not scaredy cat rednecks
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Working...
      X