Getting tough with mullahs in Pakistan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting tough with mullahs in Pakistan!

Keep up the good work, Mr. Interior Minister. We need more people like you in Pakistan to keep jadhis and mullahs on tight leash!
    http://jang.com.pk/thenews/index.html

ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Lt Gen (retired) Moinuddin Haider said on Thursday that former army chief General Mirza Aslam Beg and former ISI chief General Hameed Gul should be held accountable for creating Islami Jhamoori Ittehad (IJI) in 1988 against the Pakistan People's Party (PPP) without the knowledge and consent of the then army high command (GHQ).

The minister said (regarding distribution of Rs 400 million among politicians/religious parties) the two men had acted in their personal capacities without getting any permission from the GHQ.

So, Moinuddin was of the view that both the gentlemen be held accountable for their such illegal actions. He gave this statement while replying to questions during an hour-long live Radio programme aired by Islamabad station in the evening.

The interior minister said the former ISI chief had misused his authority and created a political alliance of religious parties to defeat the PPP in 1988 in general elections and "it was all wrong and he must be questioned and be held accountable for his personal acts".

The minister was interviewed by a group of journalists comprising Faraz Hashmi (Dawn), Tahir Khalil (Jang), Tariq Warsi (Nawai-e-Waqat), Tariq Choudhry (Business Recorder) and Rauf Klasra (The News).

The minister severely criticised the former ISI chief and his blatant statements pouring in the national press since 1988 about his controversial role in creation of an alliance against a political party. The minister said he always stated that his (Hameed Gul's) statements did not correspond to his assignment as a chief of sensitive intelligence agency.

To a question stressing that the army should also share the responsibility of strengthening the religious groups and use them as a tool against the political parties and destabilise the politically elected governments in the country since 1985, the minister said he served in the army for 37 years and attended many high-level meetings during this period, but he was unaware of such decisions that involved creation of religious parties alliance or distribution of money among the politicians.

He said he also served for seven years in the GHQ but never heard a single word about such decisions that were taken by these generals in their personal capacities. The minister also admitted his government's failure in stopping the huge funding to the religious groups and parties being made by some Muslim states.

Speaking on other issue, he said that Pakistan had taken up the cases of its fugitives with the Western countries and had handed over a list of its accused to them for their immediate extradition.

The minister defended his government's decision to take strict action against the religious parties activists during demonstrations saying it was enough as they had now started to take the law into their own hands by burning the banks, public properties, post offices, railway stations, public vehicles etc.

He said now they were also using Afghan refugees against the military government and that was not a desirable act on their part.

He said the government had already allowed demonstration and rallies at fixed places in the provincial capitals like Nishtar Park (Karachi), Liaquat Bagh (Rawalpindi), Minare Pakistan (Lahore) and Ayub Stadium Quetta. But, he said the religious parties were not ready to go there as they always resort to burning tyres on roads and disrupt the normal life.

He claimed that 90 percent of the public was supporting government policy on Afghanistan as government had left with no option but to accept what the Americans were demanding from the government after Spetember11 attacks. He said had we not accepted America's demand at that night when President Bush called General Musharraf on phone, Pakistan could also be targeted along-with Afghanistan. He said we acted wisely in the given circumstances and saved our land from devastation.

Similarly, he said government would not allow any Pakistani to enter into Afghanistan and fight alongside the Taliban as it was useless act to fight with the American jets with outdated weapons.

He said Pakistan is continuously trying to convince the US and its allies to stop bombing in Ramazan as it will create problems all over the Muslim world. He said the government was trying to bring the law and order situation under control as it was for the first time that 124,000 illegal weapons were recovered from the people during the deweaponisation drive.

He said "we want to make Pakistan a modern and a moderate state where the narrow minded religious people deprived of the logic and reasons had no right to dictate their own brand of Islam to any body.

He said we must try to avoid the serious clash of religions and civilization and should try to get out of this dangerous situation that could destroy every body just for the sake of some individuals like Osama and Mulla Omar who are wrongly championing the cause of the Muslims.

On the issue of detention of Jamaate-Islami chief Qazi Hussain Ahmad, the minister said he was arrested by the provincial government under the MPO and would be treated under the given law. He said the provincial governments would determine whether his case be tried in special court or in the ordinary court. He did not agree to a questioner that Qazi was arrested after he refused to meet him in Islamabad and used some strict language during his phonic conversation last week.

Although, he said Qazi was not ready to visit his Darbar (as Qazi had told the minister) but, the minister said personally he was ready to visit the Mansoora-the Darbar of Jamaat for the sake of national interest.

The minister put the fact that average 100 bomb blasts were occurring in Pakistan annually and the government was trying to control the law and order situation. He said the foreign hand was involved in these acts of terrorism.

All people are equal, but some are more equal than others. We call these "corporations."

Originally posted by Shamraz Khan:
    Keep up the good work, Mr. Interior Minister. We need more people like you in Pakistan to keep jadhis and mullahs on tight leash!
    Shamraz

Do you think a lot of people in Pakistan share your sentiment ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rahat1:
      Shamraz

Do U have any doubt?

Comment

Originally posted by Rahat1:
        God, I hopes so! If not, Pakistan is screwed.

Comment

oh yeah clamp doen on these mullahs. They are not my religious advisors. set up some standard education that a person has to got hrough before he can become an imam.

Make everyone accountable for their statements and actions.

I am all for it.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraudz:
            oh yeah clamp doen on these mullahs. They are not my religious advisors. set up some standard education that a person has to got hrough before he can become an imam.

Make everyone accountable for their statements and actions.

I am all for it.
            So am I, but let us first start with those who have supposedly got that standard of education. The politicla leadres and the administration would be the first and second by all counts.

Comment

Originally posted by mm10:
              Do U have any doubt?

I was trying to ellicit a view from someone residing in Pakistan. However since you ask me...

I guess judging from the failure of the mullah's to tranform their current loud, localised protests into a wide-spread national protest and civil war suggests they do not enjoy mainstream support (and that the mainsteam are a bit more rational minded and less emotional)

Secondly, whenever there have been free elections (whenever !), the religious parties have never won large scale support from the Pakistani people. Am I right ?

I wonder if this is a lesson for the many Arab nations which are currently governed by repressive, undemocratic regimes (often supported by the West), who have somewhat repressed freedom of expression for the religious right parties in their countries. Hence support for these parties going 'underground' and being perceived by the public as the route to freedom from tyrany as well as the 'back to basics' Islamic theme looking attractive. What do you think ?

Coming back to Pakistan - why haven't we seen any rallies in support of the Government's position ? Is it because the silent majority can't be bothered or is it because such rallies haven't been reported by the media ?

Comment

I believe that the silent majority faces a few issues

1) apathy
                2) just the inaction in joining the militants parades shows that these militants dont have the support.
                3) Fear for personal safety, over the years, the decent people in Pakistan have been bossed around by a small group of thugs, whether they were from PPP, MQM or the assorted supposedly religous groups. recall the poor guy who opened his shop and got lynched by these supposed muslim groups who can whine and cry for muslims in Afghanistan but have no issue killing muslims in their own country, even this poor guy who had to open his shop to make a living..whyw as he killed,.. he dared disobey the nationwide protest and strike called by these lame mullah groups. why would any sane person want to go and take part in a pro govt rally only to face a backlash by some deranged JUI goon later.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

stupid governemnt policies

Comment

Actually, far from getting tough with mullahs, Pakistan is just restructuring their power. Mullahs from the smaller Deobandi and Ahl-e-Hadith schools are being removed from positions of influence, and being replaced with mullahs from the Barelvi school.
                    Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                    Al-Ghazali

Comment

Madu that was pretty uncalled for. Do you have any proof of your statement?

And I am always aganist 'position of influence' going in the hands of 'mullahs' of ANY denomination.

They are suppose to responsible for the spiritual up bringing of the Nation, not to hold 'positions of influence'
                      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Working...
                      X