Pakistan : My Home is not the place you see on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan : My Home is not the place you see on TV

This is a nice article I just finished reading by Kamila Shamsie.I thought I`d share it with some of you.

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/index.html

Pakistan: My home is not the place you see on TV

Last week, I returned to Pakistan for the first time since September 11. As I walked through the doors of Jinnah Airport's international terminal in Karachi, I was jolted by a shock of revulsion: a vast McDonald's had sprung up right across from the terminal, ensuring that the golden arches would henceforth dominate all visitors' first glimpse of the city. But all else seemed much as ever: no added security, no riots on the periphery of my vision, no stones being hurled my way because I was in trousers and a T-shirt. In short, McDonald's aside, Karachi seemed exactly as I had expected it to when I left London the day before. How nice, I thought, to finally be home where I won't have to spend every day telling people not to believe what they hear in the news about Pakistan being closer than ever to an Islamic revolution. (Pakistan may be closer than ever to an Islamic revolution; but since it's never been close to any such revolution, that relative term "closer" carries little urgency.)

Here, there is much anger about what everyone else in the world hears in the news about Pakistan. Almost everyone I have spoken to has mentioned the slanted coverage of the BBC and CNN, which get beamed via satellite to a great many households in Pakistan. It was partly to counter this partial reporting that a rally under the banner "Voices of the silent majority" was organised the day I returned. According to first-hand reports, about 200 people showed up, with placards saying "No to Extremism", "Pakistan First", "Yes to Jihad against Illiteracy". Speeches were made, doves were released (actually, they were pigeons, but let's not get bogged down by details).

The whole event had acquired a slightly farcical sheen before it started, due to the fact that many of the people who were most fired up about the rally are better known for their fashion sense than their political sense. The march of the trendies, one of my friends dubbed it, while another predicted the placards would read: "The well-dressed women of Pakistan oppose terrorism". In the end, though, it was journalists and educators rather than models and beauty consultants who spoke. Neither the BBC nor CNN covered the event. And why should they? After all, it was just 200 people representing a tiny portion of society.

Well, when 200 protesters who represent a tiny portion of society start throwing stones at policemen and burning effigies of George Bush, the cameras can't stop rolling. Every day, the media teaches us lessons best left unlearned about the power of violence to capture people's attention.

The truth of the matter is that, in this country which is often divided along so many lines--sectarian, ethnic, economic, political - there does seem to be something approaching a general consensus on two matters: the destruction of the World Trade Centre was sickeningly awful; the bombing of Afghanistan is sickeningly awful. Pakistanis were asked in a recent poll if they support the US or the Taliban in the war. More than 80% answered in favour of the Taliban. But - putting aside the question of how, exactly, the data was compiled - the question itself reflects an absurd "you're either with us or with them" reasoning which quite overlooks the complexity of Pak-Afghan-US relations. The poll didn't bother to ask if Pakistanis believe the Taliban are in any way responsible for what happened on September 11. It seems a fair guess that more than 80% would answer "no".

Nor did it ask if the deaths of hundreds of Afghan civilians and the mass influx of refugees into Pakistan, a country already straining to cope with the million plus refugees that were here prior to September 11, was acceptable "collateral damage". Again, the answer would be an overwhelming "no". Looked at in this light, the opposition to US bombing in no way translates to a support for the terrorist attacks in the US. From here, this seems a self-evident truth.

There are frequent, non-violent rallies throughout Pakistan opposing the bombing. Most of these are rallies for peace, not for holy war. This is not to deny that the extremists who are calling for the overthrow of General Musharraf's government are a well-armed and dangerous minority - but the belief in most sections of Pakistan is still strong that the president has much cause to be concerned about an assassin's bullet and little reason to fear a popular revolution that will topple his government.

This is not a nation of extremists. But it is not an unconflicted nation either - it says much for the difficult position Pakistan finds itself in that the people who show up at rallies to declare solidarity with the government which promised "unstinted support" to the US are often the same people at the rallies demanding an end to the bombing.

It seems I have been repeating all of this endlessly to friends in the UK and the US. All of them have listened with understanding, intelligence and compassion. In Karachi, I encounter somewhat surprised reactions when I say that of the many American friends I gathered in my years at university on the east coast, none of those who have written to me in the last two months hold views that are substantially different to mine when it comes to the bombing of Afghanistan. Just as Pakistan looks like an extremist monolith if you watch news reports in the US, so the US looks like an arrogant nation baying for blood and willing to bypass due process if you watch news reports here.

The interesting point is this: the same news channels which broadcast images of Pakistan to the US also broadcast images of the US to Pakistan. That is, we watch CNN and we think it's showing us a complete picture of America.

But having lived in the US, having spoken to friends who've written articles criticising US policy for the print media in the US and found those pieces "edited" or not published, I know that there is a voice of opposition within America which finds itself completely shut out by the mainstream media. Paradoxically, if the US media allowed those voices to come through to the rest of the world there might be less anger towards the US in places such as Pakistan.

in another thread, u have said that bengalis have done right by telling bengali hindus to go home. these bengali hindus were bangladeshi citizens, but u seem to find it perfectly logical that they are driven out of of bangladesh.

is ur voice that of silent majority. (given that u have few posts, ur voice is reltively silent) if so, what BBC says is right

fact is that emotional setup of average pakistani has become heavily communal and world sees it so.

lemme give an example there are pakistanis who claim that atack on WTC was bad because there were muslims in building. they dont even realize how inhman the argument is.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ:
      in another thread, u have said that bengalis have done right by telling bengali hindus to go home. these bengali hindus were bangladeshi citizens, but u seem to find it perfectly logical that they are driven out of of bangladesh.

I never said it was right for them to be driven out of bangladesh.However,I did say that they were getting what they deserve.Sooner or later the Indians will realize, that karma get bite you in the ass.
      Sort yourselves out - and then expect others to treat you just as well.Thats whats logical.

is ur voice that of silent majority. (given that u have few posts, ur voice is reltively silent) if so, what BBC says is right

Actually, I just dumped my last nick "Hollywood" so that explains the few posts. And my voice is certainly not silent.

fact is that emotional setup of average pakistani has become heavily communal and world sees it so.

Wrong.Utterly wrong.You know nothing about the average Pakistani.How can you make such a comment.Wishful thinking,isent it?

lemme give an example there are pakistanis who claim that atack on WTC was bad because there were muslims in building. they dont even realize how inhman the argument is.
      [/QUOTE]

Similarly,there are Indians who distribute sweets and dance on streets when they finish burning down a Muslim Mosque and killing anyone who looks like a Muslim - cold blooded murder.How inhuman is that?

I hate to disappoint you but your regular dose of various right wing sections of the Urdu press are simply a distortion of the views in Pakistan.Rediff.com,The express,times of India,Zee news,etc all love to quote from these elements without stopping for a second to understand where these views are coming from and why they do not matter to any journalist with an ounce of professional integrity.Perhaps because it suits their needs to quote from sections of the press in Pakistan that can help them in their desire to potray Pakistan in a negative light.

Despite the fact that that the major tv s network in Pakistan is state owned - you dont see us showing pictures of protests in India, or airing right-wing hindu views.

We dont see the point.Its time India realizes the same.Quoting from right-wingers who are a minority - will never get you anywhere but if it helps you sleep at night, then good luck to you.

------------------
      Salams,

Yasir.

Comment

I never said it was right for them to be driven out of bangladesh.However,I did say that they were getting what they deserve.Sooner or later the Indians will realize, that karma get bite you in the ass.
        Sort yourselves out - and then expect others to treat you just as well.Thats whats logical.

this is precisely the way 'silent majority thinks. yet to know what bangladeshi hindus did to 'deserve' this. they are not indians. they are bangladeshis. what indians do is irrelevent. it is bangladeshis own decision how they are going to treat minorities in their country, a proper way or islamic way as demonstrated by pakistan.

Actually, I just dumped my last nick "Hollywood" so that explains the few posts. And my voice is certainly not silent.

very good. u are part of old gang. coming out in original colors

Wrong.Utterly wrong.You know nothing about the average Pakistani.How can you make such a comment.Wishful thinking,isent it?

u support riots against bangladeshi hindus simply because they are carried out by ur muslim umma. they are not indians, u tell them to go their home which is 'india' for u. so for u, india is a 'home for all hindus and hindus can be driven out of muslim lands any time to go to india. is this communal or not.

the point is that pakis have sunk to such levels that they dont realize what they say is bigotted, communal and not in accordance with modern society, though it may be what 1400 yr. old theories support.

so picture CNN shows is perfect.

[This message has been edited by ZZ (edited November 01, 2001).]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZZ:

this is precisely the way 'silent majority thinks. yet to know what bangladeshi hindus did to 'deserve' this. they are not indians. they are bangladeshis. what indians do is irrelevent. it is bangladeshis own decision how they are going to treat minorities in their country, a proper way or islamic way as demonstrated by pakistan.

As opposed to the way hindu indians treat Muslim Indians,who similarly have no relevance to what happens with Pakistan.
          Correct ?

u support riots against bangladeshi hindus simply because they are carried out by ur muslim umma. they are not indians, u tell them to go their home which is 'india' for u. so for u, india is a 'home for all hindus and hindus can be driven out of muslim lands any time to go to india. is this communal or not.

Again, wishful thinking on your part.You seem to be eager to make a distinction between bangladeshi hindus and indian hindus.Fine.According to you,they are not indians.They are bengalis.Okay,so in that case why are you so worried about them?If India has nothing to do with them,then the bangladesh government can deal with them however they wish since they are "bengalis" and not "indians". Which one is it?You cant have it both ways.Either they are indians,in which case "Go Home" is more than appropriate or they are bengalis in which case it is none of your business.

the point is that pakis have sunk to such levels that they dont realize what they say is bigotted, communal and not in accordance with modern society, though it may be what 1400 yr. old theories support
          so picture CNN shows is perfect.

Your ignorance is simply stunning.It speaks a lot for India`s education system that its population can be so ignorant and unaware.What is modern society?Do you understand what Modern Soceity is before you begin preaching about it?I doubt it.Look at your own society before finding fault with others.India is as worse an example of a decent society as are the Israelis.

As I have said before, India`s paranoia and desperation will lead it nowhere.However,that is not my problem.If you people want to continue with your ridiculous tirade,go ahead.The fact is, no one is listening. No one that matters, anyhow.

I would repeat what I said in my last post :

Its time India realizes the same.Quoting from right-wingers who are a minority - will never get you anywhere but if it helps you sleep at night, then good luck to you.

------------------
          Salams,

Yasir.

Comment

how many indian muslim families have run away to bangladesh due to religious persecution, yasir. on the other hand, bangladeshi muslims are flooding indian north east. coming in india to get persecuted, is it? if bangladesh takes back all these, i have no problem exchanging them with bengali hindus who r running away due t rapes and murders. why i bother about them? they are coming to india as refugees.

there is no comparison. but pakis would insist there is one. has any non-muslim ever immigrated to pak. india has been home to several minorities, bahais, parsis, ahmadis all running away from muslim lands.

husain can paint hindu goddesses naked in india and can get government awards. can i paint a fully clothed picture of mohammad in pak.

india is not paranoid. u r pathetic. u know that u have finished any difference and dissent and getting more and more in rut. now that non-muslims are absent, shias and sunnis start killing each other. u only say that taliban are supported because people do not want shias to take over. once shias are finished, u will attempt deobandis vs barelawis.

it is a natural course for pak. and foreign commentators who r seeing it are right on the mark.

Comment

How could they run away to Bangladesh anyway?What would Bangladesh offer them Food,clothing,job security? - highly unlikely.They would certainly be able to escape religious persecution but they would
              die of hunger within weeks.So what option do they have.Bengalis going to india are looking for a better economic future, given the state of their own economy.That is
              all.Dont pat yourself on the back.You should congratulate the Russians for the money they have pumped into your country over the
              years.

You do not know who has immigrated to Pakistan.We are a Muslim country, we freely admit that and we are proud of it.But there
              are also parsis,christians,and hindus who have come to Pakistan and are living alongside.There is some religious tension on occasion which is mainly due to a small group of extremists who do not represent even a fraction of the population however no one is leaving Pakistan.The hindus in
              Lahore,Karachi are not going anywhere,neither are the parsis and
              christians, and the other minoritys etc all over Pakistan.

Your attempts to exploit the shia-sunni conflict have not gone unnoticed. The amount of money you people have given to incite
              religious hatred in Pakistan is well documented which is why it is a touch ironic to hear you *****in about the Kashmiri militants being helped by Pakistan.On one hand you give money to groups to fund religious wars and on the other you whine about how a group of freedom fighters have brought your army to its knees.

There is no international opinion that supports any of your pathetic ramblings. There is a bit of uncertainty which is due to a lack of information and understanding on the part of various foreign peoples however that will be removed with time.

You should get used to it. Pakistan will remain a peaceful, prosperous Muslim nation regardless of how long India whines and begs for it's lies to be heard. The world is not full of fools. And thankfully, it is
              not home to fanatical hindus either - so your nation's pathetic and desperate attempts will never bear fruit.

You should concentrate on your own people and get over your parnoia about Pakistan.

------------------
              Salams,

Yasir.

Comment

Originally posted by Yasir -:
                How could they run away to Bangladesh anyway?What would Bangladesh offer them Food,clothing,job security? - highly unlikely.They would certainly be able to escape religious persecution but they would
                die of hunger within weeks.So what option do they have.Bengalis going to india are looking for a better economic future, given the state of their own economy.That is
                all.Dont pat yourself on the back.You should congratulate the Russians for the money they have pumped into your country over the
                years.

hindus were living in bangladesh and would not have come to india, if there was no persecution.

mulsims are coming to india shows that muslims are treated better in india than in bangladesh. if econonomy was reason, in 60-s, pak economy did better than india, hindus should have gone to pak for better opportunities. would they dare?

There is some religious tension on occasion which is mainly due to a small group of extremists who do not represent even a fraction of the population however no one is leaving Pakistan.

firstly, minorities are around 1%. that should not put ur tolerence too much to test. but it seems to. and WHERE will they go? It is one of most heavily guarded border on indian side, afghanistan on other side, and post revolution iran.

Your attempts to exploit the shia-sunni conflict have not gone unnoticed. The amount of money you people have given to incite
                religious hatred in Pakistan is well documented

who documented it. give any non-pakistani source. in fact, i can show many pakistani sources who solely blame domestic ideology.

There is no international opinion that supports any of your pathetic ramblings.

and bangladeshi hindus deserve to go 'home' is perfectly reasonable. international opinion is all in favor of crap u type here.

There is a bit of uncertainty which is due to a lack of information and understanding on the part of various foreign peoples however that will be removed with time.

in course of time, coverage seems to get only worse.

You should get used to it. Pakistan will remain a peaceful, prosperous Muslim nation

we are waiting for it to 'become' peaceful, prosperous nation...

take care. do u write by name YLH on chowk. looks quite similar. trying to claim that pak is a secular country.

Comment

You`re not making sense buddy.
                  You conveniently refuse to address the pathetic and desperate attempts of your country to build anti-Pakistan sentiment around the world.Your foreign policy is built around one cause - to harm Pakistan internationally since you can never get it done domestically.Even on that matter you have failed.Everyone understands the importance of Pakistan which is why jaswant and vajpayee can run to washington as many times as they want and they will never get what they want.

I dont see the point of arguing this further.You want begalis to treat hindus with respect.Do the same to Muslims in India and then talk.You want to talk about begalis moving to India.Do they consider india home?Ill bet you 96% of them will say they could care less about india.They are there to earn and then go home to bangladesh.

The shia-sunni conflict was funded by gandhi and co during the 80's.Ask any Pakistani and they will tell you that.Now that the shia-sunni differences are dying down in Pakistan,new delhi is attempting to fund the JUI and JI,giving them direct access to zee tv and star news.Get a life.

I will say it again and for the last time, this **** will never work.As much as you ppl try,it will come back and bite you in the ass.

Get over it.Concentrate on your own people.And then we can talk.

------------------
                  Salams,

Yasir.

Comment

Originally posted by Yasir -:
                    You`re not making sense buddy.

It would, if ever logic was taught in pak.

conveniently refuse to address the pathetic and desperate attempts of your country to build anti-Pakistan sentiment around the world.

Pakistan is our enemy. We will do it.

Your foreign policy is built around one cause - to harm Pakistan internationally since you can never get it done domestically.

Why not? We had 3 1/2 wars with pak.

ont see the point of arguing this further.You want begalis to treat hindus with respect.Do the same to Muslims in India and then talk.

If bengalis try to get in US they will be put in jails and deported as soon as possible. we are letting the bengali muslims survive. and it seems they are happy.

hey consider india home?Ill bet you 96% of them will say they could care less about india.They are there to earn and then go home to bangladesh.

That is precisely the problem with ungrateful communalists. A saskrit couplet says that even if u feed milk to snake he will bite u back with poison. these people have more comfortable life in india, but are its enemies. i say, drive them back.

and about concentrating on my people, if refugees from bangladesh start streamining in india, it becomes our problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ:

Pakistan is our enemy. We will do it.

Speaks a lot for Indian logic doesent it - "you are our enemy so we will go around the world begging to be heard". And if we are your enemy, then what are you doing here? This is a Pakistan forum. Since you consider Pakistan to be an enemy, should`nt you be posting on a Hindu/India forum and not giving us the "pleasure" of your company

Why not? We had 3 1/2 wars with pak.

You'll have a fourth one too, unless you stop interferring in Pakistan affairs - both domestic and International. And this type you wont have Rehman to help you out.

If bengalis try to get in US they will be put in jails and deported as soon as possible. we are letting the bengali muslims survive. and it seems they are happy.

Doesent look like it,does it?hindustan-murdabad is what they`re saying. Unless the hindi translation of that is something else, I reckon they`re not to happy with you chaps.

That is precisely the problem with ungrateful communalists. these people have more comfortable life in india, but are its enemies. i say, drive them back.

Well, dont they bring a lot to "secular" india? If you kick them out, what will happen to your "wonderful diversity" ?

Too bad there is a real Prime Minister in Bangladesh now - and not a new delhi puppet.
                      Thats what this is all about isent it.

and about concentrating on my people, if refugees from bangladesh start streamining in india, it becomes our problem.
                      So you reckon bengalis should`nt go to india?You seemed to be in love with them during the 70's when you felt their "pain" so whats with the whining?

Comment

do u understand what u write? or morons are a majority tribe in pak,. if bangladeshi muslim illegal immigrants are unhappy in india, they shjould go back to BD. if they dont, it is reasonable to assume that they are happy.

BD treatement of minorities is neither new nor surprising. it is an islamic tradition. it is so old tradition that muslims dont evenm understand that they are de-humanized by their religion.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ:
                          do u understand what u write? or morons are a majority tribe in pak,. if bangladeshi muslim illegal immigrants are unhappy in india, they shjould go back to BD. if they dont, it is reasonable to assume that they are happy.

BD treatement of minorities is neither new nor surprising. it is an islamic tradition. it is so old tradition that muslims dont evenm understand that they are de-humanized by their religion.
                          As if treatment of minorities are any better in the land of milk and honey. Could you explain whay are minorities fleeing the land of milk and honey.

Oh BTW morons and idiots grow on trees in the land of milk and honey.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
                            Could you explain whay are minorities fleeing the land of milk and honey.
                            they are not, in fact more of them are coming in and that is the whole point.

Comment

>>>they shjould go back to BD. if they dont, it is reasonable to assume that they are happy.<<<

ppl are living under hindu occupation in Kashmir as well. it doesnt mean they are happy. it just means they are fighting for their rights. Kashmiries are fighting for their freedom today, rest of them will rise up against hindu occupation too soon enough.

>>>it is so old tradition that muslims dont evenm understand that they are de-humanized by their religion. <<<

indeed the only humanizing religion is hinduism. where 300 million shoodars exist for the sole purpose of pleasing and upper caste perverted brahmans. the same brahman who has made shoodars worship lingum and made everyone drink cows urine. speaking of dehumanizing, going by the logic of hinduism all hindus are worth less than cow dunk since they worship it.... so what is ur point in bringing this up?

Comment

Working...
                              X