Anti Corruption efforts and democracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti Corruption efforts and democracy

With the current world events and Pakistan's challenge due to its location etc, the govt has been busy in that arena. How has that affected the anticorruption efforts led by the President and also the grassroots level political reform which was going on in the country?

what is your take?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Democracy & Anti Corruption will take time and patience. Pakistanis in general are very cynical towards reforms & the mistrust of the ruler (regardless of democratic or dictators) has built up in the past few decades.

Haven't heard anything great going on in the corruption area, though when asked Mushy has been very keen in pointing out that he is going to carry on with the elections according to his timetable. Let see ...

The list of defaulters surfaces every now & then, but no actions. Rather all of them get their loans rescheduled .. for unlimited time again!
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Luckily, after two years, he is blessed by not talking about what he has achieved in two years.
      Lets just talkt about the grassroots level political reform, they are yet to take affect, the Nazims in Lahore are still on the street waiting to get their official rules or procedures to proceed. What kind of reform is this in which the “elected” Naizm doesn’t even knows what their real functions are. But we know that the coast was around 0.5 billion rupees to just get them “elected” all over the country. Either we paid that money or we got that in loans, it’s a burden on the Pakistani ppl.

The next step of the political reform is never going to come out of the box, since now the govt. has a valid reason to postpone the general elections. Since all the Pakistani govts are well aware fo the public opinion, if that means some thing to them.
      بِن دانا پانی میں جی لواں
      بِن انَک میں جی نہ سکاں

Comment

quite opposite of what I have been hearing. rescheduling loan repayment schedule of defaulters is a completely different subject than tax evasions and non payments of loans.

I do believe that in current crises there is not a single name that comes to mind in terms of the well known politicians who can be a true leader.

Our political parties have been so involved in internal divide and conquer stuff that I doubt that they have the ability to be a good leader for international issues.

Sahibzada Yaqoob Khan is an exception, he is a true statesman but I doubt he will go for it.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

People who want to do good for their country - don't go into politics. They just do good acts.

People who have personal/career ambitions, go into politics.

Comment

Fraudz..there is no corruption in Pakistan. What are you talking about?

Comment

>> Sahibzada Yaqoob Khan is an exception, he is a true statesman but I doubt he will go for it.

Man! I miss having that guy in our foreign ministry.

Comment

The last I heard he was doing something for the United Nations. dont know if that is true.

Lets just say, he is the Pakistani politician that I have always respected the most.

Comment

But the main question I have is who will reform the military and ISI? Who will purge it from corrupts and fundos? Obviously, the army over the years has gotten fatter and fatter. It's as much part of the problem as the politicians. Yet, we all know the army itself will never clean itself and any political leader who tries to do so will be thrown out. It has been sucking a huge ammount of Pakistan's GDP, yet it has not given all that much back. Right now, most of the officers are busy stealing land and resources from more deserving Pakistanis.

Who will stand up to the Army? Will the Jehadis stand up? Or will the nationalists?

Comment

Originally posted by Fraudz:
                    The last I heard he was doing something for the United Nations. dont know if that is true.

Lets just say, he is the Pakistani politician that I have always respected the most.
                    Pra Fraudia Pir Sain baba,

I offered my services to those HT guyz on gupshup to declare me (Abdali) their Ameer-ul-Momineen but they turned me down.

Now I offer my services to you all, vote for me as your leader and you will occupy nice juicy positions in my cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by Fraudz:

He was never a politician; he’s an ex-military General. Although never much publicly discussed, he had a very shabby role in the 1971 events. I think he was the one who messed up things for General Tikka before taking over as CMLA.

He became part of the (Zia's) govt as an appointee.

So all this democracy stuff is just blah..blah..blah…and blah blah blah
                      بِن انَک میں جی نہ سکاں

Comment

Mini me chanda

so if you are an apointee you are not a politician?

politics is politics whether its a democratic system, some dictatorship, or if you chose a random clown from ringling brothers every week. and someone involved in politics is a politician.

and as far as you "blah blah blah" you know what to do with it.

Comment

Pir Sahaab ( my humble apologies)
                          ( hath joRan wala icon)

The real thing is that he was never a politician, weather appointed by a democratic govt. or a dictatorship. I would rather say that he acted as a very good bureaucrat.

Had he been a politician, he would have kept the post when the USSR peace accord was singed. I think he was sacked at that time and we had to send a foreign sec. to do that.

and the blah blah blah was for moving away from the subject (democracy & corruption)
                          بِن انَک میں جی نہ سکاں

Comment

minime

koi baat naheen
                            *sar par haath phernay wala icon*

okay, i think we are too stuck in our defintion of a politician. bureaucrat is just fine.

Either way, he had a great personality, was very well spoken and had a presence. The fact that he dropped off the politics radar points to his smarts

Comment

Working...
                            X