Musharraf must be cursing himself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musharraf must be cursing himself

He probably wishes that he was not in-charge during crises of this magnitude. Poor guy must be pissing in his pants. I truly feel sorry for him. I also feel that Bush is probably feeling the same, but he has his intelligence agencies to blame if things donít go right, who would Musharraf blame? Either way, he is going to give a bad name to the Pak Armed Forces. He is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He should contemplate suicide (not suicide bombing).

NYAhmadi,

I agree, at least Bush has the whole nation behind him. Musharaf has to fight for every decision he makes or else as like some religious cleric said, "there will be a civil war". But hey thatís what they said when he said will take action against some fanatic or jehadi groups.

I still wonder if our religious leaders and army elements behind Talibans realising that they may be putting future of Pakistan in jeopardy over this Osma Bin Ladin.

------------------
    "Away from Eyes......Close to Heart"

[This message has been edited by Insaaniat (edited September 14, 2001).]

Comment

But it was never easy to be premior of pakistan. look at what happened to previous rulers, hanged, exiled, jailed, assasinated, blown up in aeroplane, whatever.
      if i was a pakistani i would rather try become finance minister or petroleum minister and make some fast buck in stead of becoming president or like.

Comment

ZZ no my friend, ministers come and go, u need to be a bureacrat ..secretary of finance or that kind, they linger administration after administration.

the way I see it Musharraf has his work cut out for him, use international forces to get rid of mullah elements in that dump across the border ruled by taleban and get rid of some local freaks too. better for our image, better for our nation, for our people, and for Pakistan's internal and external peace.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ:
          But it was never easy to be premior of pakistan. look at what happened to previous rulers, hanged, exiled, jailed, assasinated, blown up in aeroplane, whatever.
          if i was a pakistani i would rather try become finance minister or petroleum minister and make some fast buck in stead of becoming president or like.
          haha as if the fate of Indian leaders is any better.

Comment

Mushaarraf is sure in a tough spot! If he presses the right buttons he can, not only be a hero in his own country but also be praised abroad.

But then if he is incompetent, he will drown himself & Pakistan as well!

I think, Bhutto was the kind of President/PM Pakistan needs now, cunning and a politician of the modern world, who would have gotten his way with the US & the neighbors.

Insaniat,

I believe there will be a civil war in Pakistan! Even though I am no clerk, but it is pretty clear that there is no other way out.
            I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Heck anybody would be kicking themselves in this positions.
              Pakistanis are never happy, this is just one case where he could be over thrown.

------------------
              Our's not to reason why,
              Our's but to do and die:
              You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

I think Musharraf should call for elections for next week or soon after that. Let Benazir or Jamat-e-Islami be incharge and he should come back after the whole situation is mellowed down. That will kill one bird with two stones Ė return to democracy as promised, and to come back to finish the business which was not finished in the first go around.

Comment

This could also be blessing in disguise. US is considering removing of sanctions (I believe they should stay, reason? AL-Khalid is the product of US sanctions) Mushraff can clean out the domestic mess at the same time.

Second by cooperating with uncle you can see the pain Indians are going through its symptoms are evident from their forums and media.

Comment

I dont think its a hard decision at all. Some points are automatic. Some will be discretely decided.

Pakistan is against such terrorists, and unlike what the US thinks Pakistan is NOT harboring Osama. And frankly, Pakistan has a lot to gain by taking out Osama. So its not a question of whether Pakistan will help US or not. The question is HOW.

1. Pakistan, first and foremost, will ask for a solid proof against Osama.
                    2. Pakistan will never allow US to use its airspace or soil to conduct a military action.
                    3. Pakistan will use its own forces, or intelligence, to say the least, to take out the elements needed to scoop Osama....and that will cost the US some pennies...since Pakistan will want some return.
                    4. Most importantly, Pakistan will ask for a virtual guarantee of ongoing unmitigated support, financial and military, in keeping Afghanistan at bay.

The US itself is between a rock and a hard place. The US cannot override Pakistan like it does other countries. Pakistan is a nuclear power. Pakistan has a very well managed military structure.....which makes up for the mismanaged political structure.

However, the above are ideas. This is what i truly believe will happen.
                    In return for a considerable military and financial promise of support, Pakistan military will prepare to engage the taliban in a covert manner in one way or another. But before any action is taken, taliban will hand over Osama, since they dont want any part of him either.

However, the most important stage will come after that. Will Osamas capture remove the problem? Will that bring a halt to any possible future terrorist attacks?
                    The US will need to mobilize its diplomatic batteries across the world, and will have to exercise some sort of pressure over allies like Israel in order to soothe some of the hatred that drives terrorists to commit such acts.

Comment

Pakistanis (most of those who visit this site) are peculiar species. They are all full of rhetoric and critics, but no one is giving any suggestions as to what Gen Musharaf is to do?? And those who are waiting for him to piss in his pants, probably have been pissing all their lives in their pants.

From what I guess Musharaf's response would not be something Pakistan will be embaraced of or regret later on. The situation is very tricky and it is not prudent to step in two boats at the same time. And it is well known that each time we stepped in American boat, we drown. So the choice is clear.

Comment

Akif Bhai,

I can relate to most of the points that you made. Though I disagree that Pakistan will use its own forces. Rather, Pakistan army would be happy to make the US do their own job.

US has always taken up the air space before they put any troops on the ground. I think that's what their initiative would be.

I am concerned about the long term effect there would be of the US presence on the whole South Asian region!

Zawiyafikar,

If we sit with the Afghans, as I have understood from your post that Pakistan should do, what are Pakistanís options? Short term and long term goals and how it will be better for Pakistan?

Would you like to clarify and explain your thoughts a little?
                        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

1)Tomahawk missiles start from the sea.

2)B-2 bombers take out any remaining infrastructure.

3)Stealth fighters take care of strategic locations

4) Special forces get rid of vermin from those "hard to get places".

I am going to buy popcorn.

Comment

No matter what happens, Talibans are not going to hand over OBL without a solid proof which US will not be able to provide. It would be insane to send Pakistani troops into Afganistan to nab OBL.

US is contemplating a major military action. There are two main reasong: first US wants to completely destroy the Mujahideens camps. Secondly, any response which negates the aspect of 'visual destruction' will not sit well withthe American public.

Pakistan army has to decide between going under sanctions or triggering a civil war within. There aren't any other options.

Comment

well considering that no afghani regime has signed that damn renewal of border agreement for FATA, we should not care bout their butt either. There is no Bhai chara, anyone who thinks that is sadly mistaken, its political agendas supported on teh crutches of calls of brotherhood and this and that.

Hey...watch out for #1, yerself. let others worry about their problems
                              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X