Brotherhood of Pakistani Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brotherhood of Pakistani Americans

Pondered on where to post this topic and then thought it better for here. Hopefully I made the wise decision!

I have been told & have some what witnessed this in quiet a few places that Pakistani organizations (Students or others) are not well organized or lack the brotherhood
    well not to the point as Indians are.

*Ducking behind to save myself from tamatar & andays*

Is it true or have I been misled?

And why are we so obsessed with trying to compare ourselves with the Indians?
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Originally posted by ahmadjee:

And why are we so obsessed with trying to compare ourselves with the Indians?
    Million Dollar question,....Wish I know the Answer,....
    Let me know when you know....

------------------
    http://www.3dflags.com/assets/3dflag...akis_2fawl.gif
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`° ¤ø,¸°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ ºÂ°`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º° ºÂ¤Ã¸

A Faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets.

Comment

Very fair question. I don't understand it either.

------------------
      "kaisay na karta usko main pyar, uski haseen main sukh thay hazaar, bichar gayay hum dukh ki hay baat"
      Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

It maybe because Indians and pakistanis have the same identity.

The fact that there are more similarities in culture, religion, cuisine, history, arts etc. should be the unifying force. I think, and I might be wrong, that Pakistanis have to determine what is their own identity. What is the distinct Pakistani culture, foods, religion, history, arts etc? Is it purely distinct or is it an amalgamation of Central Asian, Indian, Persian etc?

Once this can be achieved then Pakistanis can unite under that umbrella. Until then, the mere purpose for unity is to oppose India

Comment

Originally posted by Infoman:
          The fact that there are more similarities in culture, religion, cuisine, history, arts etc. should be the unifying force. I think, and I might be wrong, that Pakistanis have to determine what is their own identity. What is the distinct Pakistani culture, foods, religion, history, arts etc? ...
          I don't agree that Pakistanis are in search of 'cultural' identity. We will see problems like this as long as we are away from our religion.

Why we compare with our 'Indian' neighbors? because it is 'apparent' that both got independence at same time and were part of one country (sub-continent), so we compare us with them to see where they are and where we stand on almost all issues (social, economical, judicial, political etc.). Comparison should be healthy one though.

------------------
          We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:
            I don't agree that Pakistanis are in search of 'cultural' identity. We will see problems like this as long as we are away from our religion.

which religion is that? Are you saying all religions, or just Islam. Can't someone who is hindu and christian from pakistan feel Pakistani outside of religion?

Comment

which religion is that? Are you saying all religions, or just Islam. ....
              I'm talking mainly about Muslims. The problems indicated in the beginning of this thread...

Can't someone who is hindu and christian from pakistan feel Pakistani outside of religion?

sorry couldn't get ur question. i don't have much interaction with Hindus or Christians from Pakistan so I don't know what they feel about Pakistan or Muslims. I had some interaction with some Christian colleagues back home but 'religion' never became an issue.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:

I have been told & have some what witnessed this in quiet a few places that Pakistani organizations (Students or others) are not well organized or lack the brotherhood......
                best example of what I said in earlier post (follow religion) is people from 'Tablighi jamaat'. those people have the best 'brotherhood' feelings for each other than any other jamaat I have seen in my life.

by this 'claim' I'm not saying/agreeing that tableeghi jamaat is the best, but it may be 'andhon mai kaana raja'.

------------------

Comment

I'm talking mainly about Muslims. The problems indicated in the beginning of this thread...

Can't someone who is hindu and christian from pakistan feel Pakistani outside of religion?

sorry couldn't get ur question. i don't have much interaction with Hindus or Christians from Pakistan so I don't know what they feel about Pakistan or Muslims. I had some interaction with some Christian colleagues back home but 'religion' never became an issue.

I believe the thread was started due to lack of comraderie and togetherness in expat Pakistanis in the U.S.. Not religion, or islam specific.

Comment

I believe the thread was started due to lack of comraderie and togetherness in expat Pakistanis in the U.S.. Not religion, or islam specific.
                    True, but this is a mere reflection of what we are seeing back home. we are divided in nations based on provinces, linguistics, sects etc. which altogether kills the feelings you can have for 'brotherhood'. If we/Muslims had followed religion in its truth/completeness we wouldn't have seen such hatred towards each other.

------------------

Comment

True, but this is a mere reflection of what we are seeing back home. we are divided in nations based on provinces, linguistics, sects etc. which altogether kills the feelings you can have for 'brotherhood'. If we/Muslims had followed religion in its truth/completeness we wouldn't have seen such hatred towards each other.

But unless Pakistan is a true islamic state, religion cannot be a unifying force. Furthermore, the other religious minorities cannot feel Pakistani if religion, particularly islam is the only unifying force.

Comment

But unless Pakistan is a true islamic state, religion cannot be a unifying force. Furthermore, the other religious minorities cannot feel Pakistani if religion, particularly islam is the only unifying force.
                        I talked for the majority. If Muslims followed Islam, there wouldn't be any question of "Sindhi, Balochi, Punjabi, Mohajir, Pathan, Saraiki" etc. And hence no one would have any roots to 'divide'.

Basically, running away from religion caused this catastrophe.

Also, I can guarantee, that not All Hindus will take Muslims Indians as 'brotherly' as they would take a Hindu. (Reason I brought this example is not necessarily for "India/Hindu" bashing, but this is the only other religion/nationality I have more knowledge of compared to others, I am sure same goes for Koreans, Chinese, Burmese etc.)

------------------

Comment

I talked for the majority. If Muslims followed Islam, there wouldn't be any question of "Sindhi, Balochi, Punjabi, Mohajir, Pathan, Saraiki" etc. And hence no one would have any roots to 'divide'.

Also, I can guarantee, that not All Hindus will take Muslims Indians as 'brotherly' as they would take a Hindu. (Reason I brought this example is not necessarily for "India/Hindu" bashing, but this is the only other religion/nationality I have more knowledge of compared to others, I am sure same goes for Koreans, Chinese, Burmese etc.)

I disagree. If everyone muslim in paistan were to unite under Islam than it would be islamic unity not pakistani unity. The subtlety being that not all pakistanis are muslim. Q.E.D.

Comment

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`° ¤ø,¸°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ ºÂ°`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º° ºÂ¤Ã¸

A Faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets.

Comment

I disagree. If everyone muslim in paistan were to unite under Islam than it would be islamic unity not pakistani unity. The subtlety being that not all pakistanis are muslim. Q.E.D.

let me make "last" attempt to clarify.

IF we were ALL GOOD Muslims in Pakistan from the beginning, this division would not have occurred and ALL (no matter what nationality, sect, religion etc) would have been one entity. In earlier centuries, when Muslims ruled, and "disunity" was not as much of today, ALL (I repeat ALL) were considered to be part of that land/country.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X