Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pakistan can't accept prophet(s)'s history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pakistan can't accept prophet(s)'s history?

this is so wrong .
    how stupid have the people involved in this case been ?
    pakistan has really highlighted now that they elevate the status of prophet (s) more than even the status of God.
    what kind of country ... bases their whole laws on islam (or so it's supposed to be) and then setence a man to death for saying that prophet (s) was a non-muslim before accepting islam ... and that his parents were non muslims too?

i know it's against the law in pakistan to say anything against the prophet (s). but saying that about his parents and all -
    it's a cold hard fact everyone knows as it is !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1498121.stm

A court in Pakistan has sentenced a medical lecturer, Dr Younus Shaikh, to death for blasphemy.

He had been accused of making derogatory remarks about the Prophet Mohammad by suggesting he did not become a Muslim until he was 40 years old and that his parents were not Muslims either.

The case was registered by a local Mullah, after a complaint by some students.

It has renewed the controversy about Pakistan's blasphemy laws.

Shock verdict

The guilty verdict and death sentence came as a shock to the supporters of Dr Younus, who had been expecting an acquittal.

The judge gave his verdict inside the prison where Dr Younus is being held, rather than in open court, to prevent any attack from religious extremists.

President Musharraf tried to change the law

He is accused of making the blasphemous remarks about the Prophet Mohammad during a lecture at the homeopathic college in Islamabad last year.

Some students complained to a religious leader, who lodged a complaint with the police, and Dr Younus was arrested.

The doctor had maintained his words were twisted and he could not conceive of saying anything blasphemous.

His lawyers say he will appeal.

Blasphemy law

According to human rights groups, Dr Younus is the third Muslim to be sentenced to death for blasphemy.

They have called for a change in the law, which stipulates the death sentence or life imprisonment for those found guilty, although no one has yet been executed up till now.

Minority religious groups have complained that the blasphemy legislation is being used to persecute them.

Once a blasphemy charge is laid, police have to make an immediate arrest.

Last year the government did try to alter the law to allow for an inquiry before any arrest in an attempt to curb false blasphemy charges, but they pulled back under pressure from religious hardliners.

[This message has been edited by aphrodite (edited August 18, 2001).]

Does any other country have blasphemy laws? The last I remember reading were the Witch craft laws under whichh women were burnt... I can imagine a few people here and there thinking like that.. But the democratically elected Parliament, the Legistlature and a Supreme court, all believe that blasphemy... is a crime ... and be punished by death.. And we are teaching that in schools and colleges...

Jub Insaan Khuda bun baitha hai to kya hoga ?? Ab to bus Dua say hee kaam chalega ... Allaha Miya, please help...

"Na tha jub kuch, KHuda tha, kuch na hota to Khuda hota..."

[This message has been edited by Tanhaa (edited August 18, 2001).]

Comment

"Logo ka kaam hai kena....logo ko kene do."
      I have heard about similiar cases and i was shocked too. But the fact is that not pakistan can't accept.........then rather those uneducated and foolish ppl who even had personal problems with these "victims" made the most of it.

"Follow Mullahs prayings and sayings but never imitate what they carry out!"
      --------------
      "Welcome to the human race. Nobody controls his own life... The best you can do is choose to be controlled by good people, by people who love you."
      Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

It's not just Pakistan that has laws to protect Islam from blasphemy - most Muslim countries do, for example Egpyt, Iran, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, whilst in Bangladesh Khaleda Zia led her Bangladesh National Party in an attempt to introduce Blasphemy laws too.

Blasphemy laws are an important part of the Islamic Penal Code and cannot be left out in any country that claims to follow Islam.

However, in some cases the laws are applied somewhat too enthusiastically.
        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
        Al-Ghazali

Comment

Not a single person has been executed in Pak. for such laws. In each and every case the supreme court has reversed the lower courts verdict.

Comment

"Blasphemy laws are an important part of the Islamic Penal Code and cannot be left out in any country that claims to follow Islam.

However, in some cases the laws are applied somewhat too enthusiastically."

"Not a single person has been executed in Pak. for such laws. In each and every case the supreme court has reversed the lower courts verdict."

Something is not making any sense to me..

First you say that Blasphemy laws are part of Islamic law.

Then you say that some authorities are applying it too enthusiastically. If its the law then they should. Shouldn't they?

Then you say that the Supreme Court has reversed all those decisions. So is that a good? Not following the law of the land??

What is not clear, is your opinions , whether you are happy with the state of affairs, are you or not? and, would you like to see some changes in the laws, and how would we go about doing that?

Im more interested in a constructive and informative dialog. No point in some making accusations and others defending.

[This message has been edited by Tanhaa (edited August 19, 2001).]

Comment

TAnhaa,

too enthusiastically means forcing blasphemy law's application in places that do not warrant it.

After all death sentence is the most serious penalty and we must think carefully before charging someone with blasphemy.

Unfortunately the current system may not have sufficient checks and balances to ensure that the law is applied prperly where needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
                Not a single person has been executed in Pak. for such laws. In each and every case the supreme court has reversed the lower courts verdict.
                hhhmmm...i thought there was at least "one" execution of a christian father and his son?!

------------------
                "kaisay na karta usko main pyar, uski haseen main sukh thay hazaar, bichar gayay hum dukh ki hay baat"
                Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

It has been proven in the court that guy was guilty of blasphemy and the court has sentenced him according to the Pakistani Law. A court always act according to the law and weird decision are taken in almost every country.

If people like you and I run away from country and then blame the ignorant left behind to make rules then we don't have the right to blame them.

Dawn 19 August 2001

ISLAMABAD, Aug 18: The Additional District and Sessions Judge, Islamabad, Safdar Hussain Malik, on Saturday awarded death sentence to Dr Mohammad Younas, a lecturer of a local homoeopathic college, on blasphemy charge. Prosecutor Syed Mohammad Tayyab advocate told Dawn that the judgment was announced at 4:30pm in the Adiyala jail on Saturday.

The accused, Dr Shaikh Mohammad Younas, was convicted under Section 295(c) of the PPC which prescribes death sentence if charges of blasphemy are proved along with a fine. A fine of Rs100,000 was also imposed on Dr Younas.

The Section 295(c) was added to the Pakistan Penal Code in 1986 which provided that whoever made derogatory remarks in respect of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) "by words either spoken, or written, or by visible representation, or by any imputation, innuendo or insinuation, directly or indirectly, defiles the sacred name of Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), shall be punished with death or imprisonment for life, and shall also be liable to fine."

The Section 295(c), however, was amended in 1992 by the Nawaz Sharif government because of the pressure of the religious organizations, deleting the proviso under which life imprisonment could also be awarded.

A leader of the Majlis-i-Tahafuz-i-Khatam-i-Nabuwat, Maulana Abdur Rauf, had reported to the Margalla police station on Oct 2, 2000, that Dr Mohammad Younas, while delivering a lecture at the Islamabad Homoeopathic College, G-9, Islamabad, had made blasphemous remarks. He said a group of students had lodged a complaint with him in this regard.

The accused was arrested immediately and detained at the Adiyala Jail since then. The accused denied the charge and submitted before the court a written statement declaring that he had full faith in Islam and could not even think of committing blasphemy. After conducting hearings in the open court for some time, the court later decided to start hearing in the jail premises, fearing a violent reaction as a number of religious leaders and activists of religo-political parties were tending the hearings.

Comment

Point to note here are;
                    1- The accused said that his words were "twisted" to wrong meaning.

2-Court passed judgement inside jail in fear of accused being attcked.

3-So far no is hanged on such chrages. But how many are jailed for life?

4-He had been accused of making derogatory remarks about the Prophet Mohammad by suggesting he did not become a Muslim until he was 40 years old and that his parents were not Muslims either.

Please tell me what is Baslphemy in his statement?? was our Holy Prophet (SAW) parents were muslims? was there any Islam during the lifetime of his(SAW) parents??

[b] the most important question to ask is during the time of holy prophet (saw) did he ever punished anyone for claiming prophacy. During his lifetime manytimes some munafik and jews and other budhu arab use to come to him and swear at him but not single time he(SAW) punished such people.

As far as I remmber during his life time he never punished anyone for bein abuse towards him. However if anyone say anything about Unity of Allah then he always has answered.In his time there were two fale claimer of Prophacy and he nevered sent army or pass a fatwa about them to be killed. Why??

In contrast it was Kufar who use to punish anyone say anything about their Gods(statues). For this reason muslims were tortured because they were against their statues.

So looking at above , whose path we are following in Pakistan? Kufar or Holy Porphet (SAW)??

------------------
                    "Away from Eyes......Close to Heart"

[This message has been edited by Insaaniat (edited August 19, 2001).]

Comment

so far no is hanged on such chrages. But how many are jailed for life?

None...

To answer your question the judicial system is hijacked by mullahs and it will take some time to clean out the mess.

I've heard the court was jam packed with mullahs starring right in the eyes of the judge. If the most powerful man in Pakistan can run with his tail between the legs then judges stand no chance. Lets see what happens at the supreme court. In the pass supreme court has done a wonderfull job by throwing the whole drama out of the window.

Comment

>>>Point to note here are;
                        1- The accused said that his words were "twisted" to wrong meaning.
                        <<<

Unfortunately, most court decisions are made on witness account and evidences not on accused wordings. I am also sure that Pakistani court would be able to make that difference.

Comment

An excerpt from Dawn.

After conducting hearings in the open court for some time, the court later decided to start hearing in the jail premises, fearing a violent reaction as a number of religious leaders and activists of religo-political parties were tending the hearings.

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited August 19, 2001).]

Comment

Those who are so supportive of the blasphemy law, please provide from their vast knowledge & experience, where is it written in the "shariah"?

Also, please give just 'one' example when AnHazoor (saw) implemented this law in his life time?
                            I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Everyone seems to be explaining what is happening in Pakistan. Agreed that the law is implememted wrongly, and the Mullas have hijacked the courts etc. Well that is interesting to know. And all that can be changed by the people if and when they want it.

But the real question is:

Who supports blasphemy laws, and can they give reasonable arguements.

Who doesnt support these laws and what are their arguements against blasphemy laws.

We should be able have an intelligent discussion of the pros and cons.

Can We?????

[This message has been edited by Tanhaa (edited August 19, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X