X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Musharraf Being A Chicken??

From Dawn Tuesday, July 31st, 2001

Jhangvi group says it is responsible

KARACHI, July 30: The Lashkar-i-Jhangvi has claimed responsibility for the murder of PSO managing director Shaukat Mirza and the defence ministry official, Syed Zafar Hussain. In a joint press statement on Monday, chief of Lashkar-i-Jhangvi Riaz Basra and Lashkar's divisional chief , Lal Mohammed have claimed responsibility for both the killings.

They also warned that any government functionary resorting to abuse of power would face the same fate. "We had urged the President, General Pervez Musharraf, not to implement the death sentence awarded to Sheikh Haq Nawaz as it could prove harmful for the integrity of the country but the government went ahead with its plan to appease a neighbouring country," said the statement. They said they would not shun their struggle, come what may, added the statement.-NNI
    Is he being a chicken or is he trying to save his kursee by not haat daalna on these religious extremists?

himmat to dhekho sallo ki A Joint Press Statment to to bolster the killing!!

President vows to crush terrorism
    http://www.dawn.com/2001/08/02/top2.htm

By Ihtasham ul Haque

ISLAMABAD, Aug 1: President Gen Pervez Musharraf has called a special meeting of provincial governors and concerned ministers on Saturday to finalize details for launching an "aggressive" anti-terrorism campaign in the country.

Comment

i love chickenz...

------------------
      muhabatein theen kabhi apne dermian kitni...
      bicha gaye hai anna hum mein doorian kitni...
      abhi to toota hai dil hi teri judai mein...
      girein gi hum pe abhi aur bijlian kitni...

Comment

Good point Abdali. A "Press STatement" coming from a leader is all I needed to hear. I feel better now.

Comment

Ghalib, i had similar concerns.

Why was Musharraf strangely quiet on this issue.

Morever, what happend to teh ANTI-SECTARIAN law that was supposed to ban such terrorist organiztions?

However, considering that the Saudi and American intelligence agencies pay huge sums to the parent organizations of these terrorists, there is not much that Musharraf can do.

With time, a solution will surely be found.

Comment

He is rather good in front of the press. I wonder if will ACTUALLY do anything or just talk and talk and talk.....

I wonder what the religious fanatics think of the great Chain smoking boozer that is the CE

Comment

I don't think it's really a matter of how big Musharraf's balls are. Years of animosity between both sects have created a lot of hatred and misunderstanding. The responsibility lies on the shoulders of Ullemas and religious leaders to preach tolerance and respect for each other and learn from the mistakes. There is a need of cooling down period in order to know who really are the perpetrators behind this sad situation. Only beneficiary of this situation are the enemies of Islam.

[This message has been edited by Abdullah k (edited August 02, 2001).]

Comment

Abdullah Sahib,

This is not about religious intolerance (I don't even think these orgnizations even know that such words exists). This is about Law & Order and due process! Forget about investigating the murders, When you have someone who bluntly comes to the press and claims responsibilty for muders and and warns of more as he deems necessary, there's something wrong. He knows that he won't be arrested or he's above the law!! Is that what Musharraf wants to get across to the nation.

I don't want the lip service of "How tough We'll get on terrorist." I want them to take it one at a time and atleast go and arrest people who openly walk around boasting their recent assasination bids and future as well. Plain and simple.

But I guess its not that plain nor is it simple. Musharraf kee in so-called "Ulemas" kay agay phatti hai. And thats plain and simple!

Comment

Errr.. hold on.

As far as I know this Riaz Basra guy is an absconding fugitive and the police is after him for many cases (don't know the recent scoop on this). So its not that these two gentlemen are roaming the streets freely and no one is arresting them, rather its a case where police is looking for them and can not find them.

Yeah, these joint statement are meant to insult the government like "himmat hai to pakar kay dikhao" and it certainly makes the government look like an idiot because the culprits are claiming the crime but govt is unable to capture them.

I agree with ghalib, that General saheb should do some thing practical insted of repeating this comic rhetoric; bcz frankly any Tom, Dick, Nawaz Sharif and Harry can make press statements that "we will deal with these criminals with an iron fist"... wow! Chicken, indeed!

And the responsibility lies squarely with the administration. If there are naughty moulvis spurring up trouble, then administration should deal with them severely instead of banking on them to rein in their supporters. Thats naive at best.

Comment

Pristine,

I don't think Pakistani intelligence (ISI or FIA amogn others) is that naive that they don't have the wherabouts of these individuals. As incompetant as the army is in civil service, I think they have a top notch intelligence division (for both military and civilian monitoring) and they're quite aware of these 'underground" organizations and their whereabouts.

Comment

Short of alleging that our army intelligence is deliberately keeping these hooligans free to cause riot in the country, I am giving them the benefit of doubt that they are truly out-witted by these fanatics.

Comment

What are the goals of this organization. Please post some links for more information.

"Lashkar-i-Jhangvi"

Comment

I don't know if they have a website, and I am biased against them, so take your choice.

Basically this group and other like it, strive to create secretatian tension, blood and mayhem to forward their mission.

Basically Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (L-e-J) is the militant extremist wing of Anjuman-e-Sipah-e-Sahaba (A.S.S).

A.S.S was created as a reaction to Tehreek-e-Nifaaz-e-Fiqa-Jafferia (TNFJ), which is a semi-political party to promote the interestes of shias in Pakistan. By some estimates there are 15-20% shia muslims in Pakistan, the rest are predominately sunnis.

Some of the activities of TNFJ inluded organizing gatherings to propagate their version of Islam where they criticied the companions of the Prophet (PBUH), known as Sahabas. Several sunni leaders didn't like this. This confrontation turned violent and two organizations were born, one was A.S.S. (sunni) and the other is Sipah-e-Muhammad (the shias). A.S.S. was founded by Maulan Haq Nawaz Jhangvi.

A.S.S, despite its militant style was still a mainstream group. Then its leader Maulana Haq Nawaz Jhangvi was assasinated. At that point Lashkar-e-Jhangvi was born to avenge this murder and to take the fight to the shias.

Since then, L-e-J has claimed many lives and many terrorist attacks. Most of its leaders are on the Most Wanted List of law enforcement agencies. Riaz Basra is one of them.

More information is available on "SATP website" and "Note on LeJ"

[This message has been edited by Pristine (edited August 02, 2001).]

Comment

Bohut bohut Shukria Pristine jee. My Urdu is not all that, so it was difficult to undestand from the name of the organization.
                            Thanks a lot.

Comment

>>>....Anjuman-e-Sipah-e-Sahaba (A.S.S).

Do they use this as their official acronym?? Not that I object but just curious..

Comment

Working...
                              X