X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Fibre link between Quetta-Sukkur opens

Musharraf to open Sindh-Balochistan optic fibre link on 17th
    Updated on 2001-08-10 14:38:08

ISLAMABAD: President General Pervez Musharraf will inaugurate Quetta-Shikarpur-Sukkur optic fibre cable link on August 17. The entire optic fibre route between Sukkur-Quetta via Shikarpur and Sibbi costing Rs 240 million has been completed in about two years.

Interesting information, Mr. Abdali I have been reading the forums posts for the past couple of weeks and I noticed that the Pakistani government has done a lot to establish a sound infrastructure for the development of a computer industry, mainly for export reasons. Thus I have two questions for you or anybody else who can answer them.

1. Do you think that the Government is placing too much emphasis on the Computer sector development and ignoring the fundamental aspects of development like roads, water resources and electricity?

2. Do believe that Pakistan can at all compete with India in this field, as they seem to be the leaders in the technological development field for Third World nations.

Regards Abby

Comment

Abby,

Though you questions are directed to the author of the thread, I want to ask you something....

Why do you feel that Pakistan needs to compete with India? Do you not believe that establishing an infrastructure and working on technological advancement is good for the nation within itself?

Why does it have to be a matter of competition?

Comment

There are numerous mega projects underway such as Makran Coastal highway, Thar coal fired power( projectd capacity 3,000 megawatts), Vision 2025( 36 dams;hydro and power), Gwadar port, rehabilitation of Railways, and numerous motorways in all parts of the country, and a fibre optic network across the country. Government has increased the amount of housing loans from Rs. 500,000 to Rs. 5 million which will serve as a shot in the arm for construction industry.

Comment

Miss Muzna, Competition is a healthy part of economics. If Pakistan wants to excel in this field it should be able to compete with India on similar terms. However I do believe we can't compete with India in all matters that would be ludicrous. You always want the best for your nation and for it to excel, with India being the leader in this field, it is a natural desire to be able to compete with this nation.

Your second question: In Pakistan in my opinion we have a history of extremes, we tend to follow something till the end and over come any and all obstacles, the Nuclear Program is such an example. However when we do this we tend to divert resources from equally important projects like education and utilities development. I believe the technological development is moving in the same direction. We are providing internet access at an accelerating rate, however the basic necessities are ignored like providing drinking water to the small villages in Balochistan. The development is unbalanced, which I think is not correct. Yes we do need technological infrastructure and development however that should be at the expense of other projects.

I do believe I have answered your third question.

Mr. Abdullah thank you very much for the information, however I do have a question pertaining to these projects, what exactly is the time frame for them. Are they to be completed simultaneously or in a specific order one after the other?

Regards Abby

Comment

Originally posted by IB:
            Interesting information, Mr. Abdali I have been reading the forums posts for the past couple of weeks and I noticed that the Pakistani government has done a lot to establish a sound infrastructure for the development of a computer industry, mainly for export reasons. Thus I have two questions for you or anybody else who can answer them.

1. Do you think that the Government is placing too much emphasis on the Computer sector development and ignoring the fundamental aspects of development like roads, water resources and electricity?

"fundamental aspects of development" have been addressed by MR Nawaz Sharif, putting up a nice road structure for inter-cities traffic. For intra-city traffic, work is always going on.
            Water resources... you can only wait for rain, right? you can't dig canal to bring water from Ocean...
            Pakistan is working on several electricity projects. and at one time it was about to EXPORT electricity to India, if you remember.

2. Do believe that Pakistan can at all compete with India in this field, as they seem to be the leaders in the technological development field for Third World nations.

Regards Abby
            Why not? competition starts at all level. If there exists a super-market in an area, it does not mean you cannot open a small shop. Have to start at some level, right? Pakistan has been working in software industry for a while, every new government wants to push it further / promote it, I don't think it should be a problem for anyone... it would simply create more jobs.

------------------
            We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Thank you Mr. Changez and I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly.

Comment

We need another million more miles of fibre optic cables in south Asia!

Comment

Originally posted by IB:
                  it is a natural desire to be able to compete with this nation.
                  I agree. It may be a natural desire...however, it should not be the motivating factor.

Growth and advancement as a result of a desire to improve one's own conditions is healthy while progress as a result of greed, envy and one-up-man-ship is not.

Originally posted by IB:
                  Your second question: In Pakistan in my opinion we have a history of extremes, we tend to follow something till the end and over come any and all obstacles,
                  I agree. Unfortunately Pakistan has never been able to balance it's spending adequately.

However, spending on nuclear arms and increasing internet access are not comparable examples. One benefits few while the other benefits many.

Granted neither expenditure is as important as providing the basic necessities of life. Something which Pakistan is still miserably failing to do.

Comment

Miss Muzna realistically speaking, greed, one-up-man-ship and envy are the driving force behind many companies and nations, these are the motivating factors. Morally it should not be, but a great deal of this world does not limit itself to what is morally right or wrong. If this were the case, world peace wouldn't be a problem.

As for Pakistan and India, I think I did not explain myself clearly, I meant to say that it is a natural desire for any nation including Pakistan to beat or compete equally with the leader of the specific field of development. In this case it is India, this is not a desire of greed or envy, it is one to show that we are on top or we are just as good.

I agree the nuclear program and Internet access are not comparable, but I think they are luxuries which we are developing while a certain portion of the people don't have drinking water. The priorities are not balanced.

Regards Abby

Comment

Working...
                    X