Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Jam Strike in Sindh Province

Wheel Jam Strike in Sindh Province

On the call of Jiay Sindh and MQM, complete wheel jam strike was observed in Sindh province. The strike was very much successful in Karachi and other big and smaller cities of Sindh. Karachi is a jugular vein of Pakistan. If it dies, Pakistan will die. This should be an eye opener for the rulers that this is the first step in declaring Sindh as an independent state if grievance of millions of poor people living in that unfortunate province is not addressed. It is unfortunate like Bangladesh, the stupid rulers of West Pakistan did not care much about the sentiments of millions Bengalis, and now committing the same mistake while dealing with explosive situation in Sindh. This may trigger similar event of humiliation and breakup of the country in 1971.

Regards

FARID

Once again you are dreaming and not thinking.

------------------
    CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

I Came I Saw I ATE
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

CM,

CM yar, I am not dreaming. Inviting your attention to the fact which had already happened, the similar situation in Sindh may result in repeating of the history.

Sincerely,

FARID

Comment

playing on the misfortune of some people by politicians for personal gain causes misery to all....

interesting isn't it... that the strike in Karachi was MQM with JSQM .. ( who suprisingly are arch enemies of yester years.. )

oh Mr Farid... if MQM (Mutahidda Qaumi Movement - previously Mohajir Qaumi Movement) and JSQM (jeay Sindh Qaumi Mahaaz) are going into strike together.. where does it say they wan't karachi to be an independant state?

all in all it shows that there is solidarity amongst the people of Karachi with rest of Sindh..

so.. either the strike was a sham.. or your views on this are completely skewed from reality.

Comment

This has gone too far. I still cannot forget the 1995/1996 era when Karachi was one big bloodbath and bombs used to go off in every nook and cranny.

It is time to hire some assassins in London and finish off the source of the trouble once and for all.

Comment

Farid every city and village is important for Pak - Anyway thanks for this post.

For some reason I simply fail to understand Sindh's unique problem(s), every province has something that needs attention, hopefully someday we'll get over these rodent problems and concentrate on some new and more important issues. So would you shed some light on Sindh's problems and what should be done to help the situation? (Without comparing Sindh to BD, lets keep this discussion simple and healthy)

Comment

Sindhi nationalism is pretty strong, especially in overseas Sindhis. India is obviously taking full advantage of this situation.

The MQM is another story alltogether. It is an artificial creation and will remains so in the future.

Comment

Well we have this thing nipped in the bud.
                Water to sindh has increased and we have no problems anymore.
                Once again it isn't going to happen.
                The Govt will see to that.

------------------
                CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

I Came I Saw I ATE
                You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Sabah,

There are many chronic problems Sindh is facing today. One major problem is not meeting the water quota for Sindh province. There is famine like situation in rural Sindh due to conversion of fully cultivated lands in to deserts.

FARID

Comment

Farid,

Water problem is not new in Pakistan, Baluchistan is suffering too. But they are working on small dams so hopefully this problem will be solved. Also I once saw a doc. re. this problem in Sindh, government can't do much if ppl keep looting money or using bad quality material to build water supply infrastructure. Ppl should show more interest in what is being done and how in their own country. Anyway what does 'Sindh' suggest to combat this problem?
                    What else was the strike about?

>>Sindhi nationalism is pretty strong, especially in overseas Sindhis. India is obviously taking full advantage of this situation.<<

How is India taking advantage of this situation? I know the expected outcome but what methods are being used? For ppl like Altaf you don't need to do much, but for an ordinary Pakistani you need to convince them about the 'bad' situation, right? So what are the arguments?

Comment

Sabah,

The water problem is not that old either. This has started during Zia’s regime and it had now reached its limits. Who has ruled Sindh after it had became the part of Pakistan? If you looked at the history, Islamabad has always ruled it. The key positions right from Chief Secretary, down to administrative set up to police, controlling law and order situations has always been done through people from Punjab. THEY ARE RESONSIBLE FOR MISERABLE CONDITIONS OF MOST UNFORTUNATE SINDH.

When it was part of India, Sindhi Banyas were exploiting the poor masses but they at least kept the culture, poetry and language of the province intact. After it had become part of Pakistan, looters from all the directions have looted this province, though it had been their personal property or their fathers inherited the lands of Sindh and they were/are for loot.

Since you have asked me what was the strike about, read the following tragic events which has left Sindhis no choice but to protest to human right organizations all over the world. People in this forum talk about violation of human rights in Kashmir, but their eyes are closed on severe violation of human rights going in particular part of the country under their noses. Shame on them. Why I should talk about Kashmir, when my own people are being victimized by Punjabis. What your current CE who calls him self as honest person has done any thing in this regard? When you push people to wall, what will they do except to look for help from outside including India. Do you have any better suggestions?

I can provide tons of material about the exploitation of Sindhi people. I know some on this forum will talk about few *******s Sindhi land lords, though people like me do not know that they are pet dogs of Punjabi military. They work on the principle, ‘scratch my back and I scratch yours.’ Such Mir jaafars and Mir Saadiqs are every where; they do not represent poor masses of Sindh. They represent their Punjabi Masters.

I would like to respond to any one who discusses on issues raised here. I will not be responding to people who will use profanity or bad language. I will also see how you act promptly when some one uses a foul language.

Sincerely,

FARID M

http://sindhlink.net/wsc/wsc-64.htm

BRIEFING ON HUMAN RIGHTS SITUATION IN SINDH
                      Topic: Briefing on the Human Rights Situation in Sindh
                      Organized: World Federation of Youth
                      By: WORLD SINDHI CONGRESS
                      Date: Thursday, 10 August 2000-08-09
                      Room XXIV at 13.00 hrs to 15.00 hrs
                      Honorable Chair, Distinguished Guests and my fellow Comrades, Good Afternoon!

I would like to express my gratitude to World Federation of Youth and Interfaith International for providing me the opportunity to speak about the Human Rights Situations in Sindh.
                      Let me first briefly introduce my organization and myself. I am representing the World Sindhi Congress, a non-profit organization based in the UK, USA, and Sindh. Our main objective is to create better understanding among the international community about the disadvantaged status of Sindhis in Pakistan and about Sindhi people's struggle for their human rights, including the right of self-determination. I consider today's occasion as an opportunity to reach out to the International community.
                      Let me briefly go over the background so that audience can get a in a historical perspective of current violations of human rights in Sindh and other parts of Pakistan.
                      Pakistan has been under military rules for 40 years out of its 52 years of existence. Today it is under the de-facto martial law. We believe that crisis and instability in Pakistan derive from the country's composition in the present form, in which one province, namely Punjab, has an overwhelming domination in all spheres of power. Peoples of smaller provinces, especially Sindh and Baluchistan, are being denied their due political, economic, social, and cultural rights.
                      Looking at the history of so-called freedom in the last 52 years, the Pakistani establishment has adamantly maintained its dominance intact. The insistence on status quo and the refusal to negotiate even a little on sharing the power have created the chaotic state named Pakistan.
                      Pakistani State (that is, the government, military, and ruling elite) Is involved in all kinds of violence against its own people as well as other peoples across the borders. Today, Pakistan is a symbol of intolerance, human rights abuse, Islamic fundamentalism, and terrorism.
                      Pakistani establishment has never shown any sign of willingness to negotiate in a peaceful manner. It has always resorted to violence, be that against Bangladeshis in 1971, Baluchis in 1947 and 1973, or Sindhis in 1983, 1986 and the 1990's. State violence continues against Ahemadis, Christians, Shiites, and Hindus everyday! I want to add, my friends, that our own organizational leaders have been victims of state aggression too. Our leader Saeen G. M. Syed was imprisoned for 36 long years and was denied adequate medical treatment-the condition ultimately resulting in his death. Also, our Vice-Chairman late Yousuf Jakhrani was brutally murdered by the military in 1992.
                      It is virtually impossible to go over the list of human rights violations occurring in Sindh today. The US Country Reports, UN Human Development Reports and UK Interior Ministry Reports are full of the incidents. I would like to briefly go over the different kinds of violations being inflicted on the People of Sindh.
                      Violations of Rights to Development
                       Unemployment rate is at its peak in Sindh. People are resorting to suicides and crime and drug addiction is at its rise.
                       Today 70% of Pakistan budget goes into defense related expenses.
                       To justify such huge defense expenses Pakistan engages in regional wars.
                       We Sindhis find this engagement neither morally justifiable nor economically viable. On one hand Pakistan is spending billions in nuclear bombs and on other hand People of Sindh and Baluchistan are dying out of drought and famine.
                       Construction of Kalabagh Dam - Please read Liberation's statement on Item 4.
                       Unequal Allocation of Financial Resources For last ten years, an illegal and unconstitutional body (consisting of selective non-representative individuals) called the National Finance Commission is managing taxes as well as other financial resources in Pakistan.
                       Despite the fact that Sindh remains the largest contributor to the country's federal income (70% of federal taxes and 50% of overall income is generated from Sindh), the province is currently bankrupt and unable to carry out its day to day operations-not to speak of any meaningful development.
                       The unconstitutional government and its crony bureaucrats constantly manipulate population census figures and Sindh's budget requirements, and charge false federal expenses to the province to justify discrimination.

Violation of Rights of Culture and Language
                       The majority of people speak the Sindhi language in Sindh, and Sindhi was the official language of the region even under the British rule.
                       In the current undemocratic setup, however, the Sindhi language has been marginalized to such an extent that its survival is under threat. The state-controlled media only provide less that 30 minutes a day of Sindhi broadcast.
                       Sindhi schools are systematically shut down throughout the province, especially from urban areas of Sindh. This is widening the gap between rural and urban people of Sindh. The gap has been a central factor of many social conflicts in the province, resulting in deaths of tens of thousands of people. Federal policies that increase the urban-rural divide are detrimental to Sindh. Furthermore, Sindhi Sufi thoughts, which are more secular in character than the orthodox Islam, have been systematically threatened, as the State engages itself in pan-Islamic propaganda. The suppression of Sindhi culture and the dominance of state-imposed social life created hopelessness among Sindhis.
                      Violation of Minority Rights
                       The current setup in Pakistan thrives on religious dogmatism and intolerance.
                       There exist numerous laws and policies that diminish socio-political status of religious minorities and sects.
                       There exists separate electorate for Non-Muslims.
                       Blasphemy law is still intact and practiced. Government provides its patronage to "Madarsaa" Schools a hub for pan-Islamicist militancy.
                      Violation of Rights of Women
                       Significant numbers of women are subjected to violence, abuse, rape, trafficking, and other forms of degradation by their spouses and members of society at large.
                       The government failed to take action in high profile "honor killing" cases, and such killings continue throughout the country. There are considerable discriminations against women, and traditional social and legal constraints have kept women in a subordinate position in the society.
                       Violence against children, child prostitution, and trafficking in children remain major social problems. Female children still lag far behind boys in education, health care, and other social benefits. are some of the examples of these violation. Please read our statement of Item 5 presented yesterday.
                      Violation of Rights of Association
                       A government servant cannot be associated to any political party. Many political activists are in jails without any trials. Various Journalists and intellectuals are often harassed. It is virtually impossible to criticize the governmental policies.
                      Violation of Right to Democracy
                       Currently all assemblies are suspended. Virtual emergency is imposed.
                       There is a de-facto martial law.
                      Violation of Rights of Free Speech
                       Often media is censored.
                       TV and Radio are state controlled. Even a few private channels are often subjected to confirm the governments.
                       Political activists are often assaulted and arrested during the peaceful protest. Last April, the leaders of Jeay Sindhi Quomi Mahaz (Nationalist Movement in Sindh) were assaulted and arrested during a peaceful protest against the increased unemployment.
                       Similarly two weeks ago, leaders of Pakistan Oppressed Nations' Movement were assaulted during the peaceful protest against the construction of Kalabagh Dam.
                      Violation of Legal Rights of Citizens
                       The judiciary is not free.
                       Trials take long time. For every 1000 person, 5 cases are pending. There is only once judge per 85,000 people, and on average every judge has 450 cases pending to be resolved. Such is the situation of judiciary and citizen's access to legal systems. Often people can be remanded in jails for inquiry and so on.
                      Dear delegates, Such violence has created a serious dilemma for the people of Sindh, who seek equal rights and prosperity for their region by peaceful means only. The situation is very troubling! Everyday, people of Sindh are getting distraught. We see the stress changing into hopelessness. Self-defeating behaviors are increasing among our people, manifest in the rising rates of suicides, intertribal clashes, violent crimes, drug addictions, and violence against women. Needless to say, hopelessness and self-defeating behaviors are dangerous and end up in violence! So, it is imperative that international activists and intellectuals give considerations to the case of Sindh.
                      We believe that current strong federal structure leaves no room for negotiating a fair sharing of power and resources. That is why Sindhis are now demanding the right of self-determination. The right of self-determination was promised to all provinces in the Pakistan Resolution of 1940, under which condition Sindh accepted to join the Federation of Pakistan. We also believe that the right of self-determination is Sindhis' inherent and inalienable right, as per the UN Charter and International Convent.
                      We request the international community to:
                       Stop their support of Pakistani Establishment.
                       Stop their financial support to Pakistani Military.
                       Stop their financial support to anti-people projects like Kalabagh Dam.
                       Stop the violence against its own people as well as other peoples across its border.
                       Convince Pakistan to return to democracy and grant all the Oppressed nations the right of self-determination.
                       Abolish laws discriminating women and religious minorities.
                      Thank you very much. I hope that you will bring our message of liberty, justice and peace to your forums and we expect your solidarity. I hope that one day there will be International Mediations for Peaceful Resolutions of Conflicts in Pakistan. Let us all work together for this to happen.
                      Rubina N Shaikh, Ph.D.
                      World Sindhi Congress
                      Vice Chairperson
                      http://www.escribe.com/culture/sindh-intl/m3287.html http://www.sindhlink.net/wsc/demo_pictures.html

“March 23rd, 2001, The World Sindhi Congress (WSC) organized a demonstration in front of the Pakistan High Commission on March 23rd, 2001 to protest over the Pakistani Government's unfair distribution policies of River Indus water and arrest of hundreds of Sindhi activists and political leaders. The social, political, environmental, and human rights activists from different parts of UK came to attend this rally on this rainy afternoon. "The ironical fact is that March 23rd is celebrated as 'Pakistan Day' to commemorate the 1940 Resolution of Pakistan, while after 54 years the People of Sindh are gathered here to demand for the basic human rights and are protesting over the continuous violations of Water Accord by Federal Government of Pakistan," stated Dr. Rubina Shaikh, the Vice Chairperson of WSC."

Comment

you can write a thousand page summary of problems in sindh. But what we really want to know is HOW are all of these problems unique to sindh alone? Infact sindhs problems are applicable to balochistan, nwfp and punjab. education, water supply, crooked politicians, corruption etc. infact not one of the issues mentioned are unique to sindh.

>>>>Why I should talk about Kashmir, when my own people are being victimized by Punjabis. <<<<<

thats a simple one. cos you are mir jaffer's of today and every single one you will be rooted out from Pakistan. Taliban is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Farid:
                          Sabah,

The water problem is not that old either. This has started during Zia’s regime and it had now reached its limits.

Who has ruled Sindh after it had became the part of Pakistan? If you looked at the history, Islamabad has always ruled it. The key positions right from Chief Secretary, down to administrative set up to police, controlling law and order situations has always been done through people from Punjab. THEY ARE RESONSIBLE FOR MISERABLE CONDITIONS OF MOST UNFORTUNATE SINDH.

what has the water problem got to do with where sindh was ruled from..

a simple advice.. stop spreading fitna.. it is not becoming of you.

As for the water shortage.. it is not a problem confined to Pakistan.. water shortage is becoming a major problem in many parts of the world.

I would love to see Mr Farid on pinning el Nino on ZAB, Zia and BB as well.

Comment

mundyaa,

I hope you are not illiterate. Go through the list again and you would see peculiar problems faced by Sindhis today. I would appreciate if you can just pick one problem and give your views on it rather than behaving like an ignorant.. One thing more people like you, in 1971 said same thing for Bengalis, but history proved other wise. It was people like you who were double cross and worst than mir jaafer’s and sadiq’s.

Taleban have no world recognition or sympathy They are at the bottom of the poorest countries of the world. They are begging aid from rich countries. Why are you so proud of Taleban. They have done nothing to improve the lives of Muslims but rather indulged merciless killing of their own people. It would be a disaster for Pakistan to have Taleban style government, which means civil war and disintegration. Do you want that? Or , are you a stupid?

blackzero

Mr. blackzero, this is not fitna, but the truth. If you can not face the truth, please take my advice, just shut up and write nonsense in others topics which suits you.

Farid

Comment

This was written up by someone else on another forum:

---
                              A short summary (very short summary).

Sindhi nationalism found its peak under the 1954 government when it was considered to be a serious threat, however, a single payment made to one of its leaders was traced back to "Indian Origin" and that was it. The PA came down like a hammer.
                              Then in the 70s it was completely fizzled with a Sindhi PM "in office and very powerful". Effective political hold of the Sindhi nationalism was destroyed by the emergence of the PPP and its subsequent rule of Pakistan.

Its sister organisation in Baluchistan found itself incapable of holding out to the PA even with heavy Russian and Afghan Gov (Tajik in majority) backing.

The eighties was a time when they just shouted every now and then but the platform for the rights of Sindhis was overshadowed by the MQM (very succesfully). In the later part they found an ally in the MQM and that was round about the time when the PA was gathering extensive intelligence on teh MQM.

In the MQM operation, Gen. Babur was very focused on irradicating the middlemen as well as the "power brokers". Sindhi nationalism lost out again.

Sindhi nationalism rose again from its slumber after The Iranians announced that their government was "considering to hold talks with Dehli" about a gas pipeline through Baluchistan and Sindh.
                              I wonder why ?

Since then they have found "substantial" monetary assistance from the "sindhis abroad" (and ofcourse everyone believes them ) and have joined hands with the MQM. (including a political marriage )
                              ***feel sorry for the girl who is becoming a pawn in a game.***

Ofcourse interior sindh has many grievences, with Bhawalpur and with Hyderabad/Karachi but none of them are serious enough for them to try and act as a threat. (They do not try to either).
                              The idea that any movement in Sindh can act as a "threat" was serious in the 50s but by the time the first martial law ended it had fizzled.
                              By the the third martial law came, it was a secondary force even in interior sindh.

Now it is an overseas (take your pick) run "want to be" movement that is joining hands with the MQM. (Ironically, Sindhi nationalism had its birth in the opposition to grant interior sindh land to people coming to Pakistan from India . Paisaa kyaa kuch naheen karataaa.

Ofcourse, not to belittle some aspects which are very serious and have been ignored by everyone since Zulfiqar Bhutto, untill now.

1. Lack of infrastructure investment in Interior Sindh.
                              2. Incremental investment in the flood plain plan.
                              3. Increased quota for service recognition in Karachi.
                              4. Land links to Sukkhur and Hyderabad from the interior.
                              5. The acceptance of commune farming for landlords.
                              6. Genetic Studies polytecnic to be established. (Both Benazir and Nawaz Sharif accepted funds for it...... but guess what.....the sight was still being finalised.... )
                              This government has contracted a japanese Genetic polination company to open its institute instead to allow quick reformation of the gap.
                              7. Barage and Canal seperations for Divisions.
                              8. Proportionate investment in infrastructure for the interior as compared to Karachi and Hyderabad.
                              9. Water distribution System for eastern Sindh.

(The only people who have seriously worked for teh betterment of teh interior have been

1. Sardar Amir Azam
                              2. FM. Ayub Khan.
                              3. Gen. Azam Khan
                              4. Gen Iqbal Khan
                              5. Zulfiqar Bhutto.
                              6. Illahe Baksh Soomro

Others have either not done anything material, or have not had the chance to do so.

---

Comment

Working...
                              X