X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandwidth increased from 80 Mbits to 235 mega bits per second

Pak.Gov.pk

US$ 500 m investment in IT sector

ISLAMABAD, July 6 (APP): Information Technology has become the most dynamic sector of Pakistan痴 economy and it is expected to fetch US$ 400 to 500 million investment in the current financial year. Sources at the Ministry of Science and Technology said that investor-friendly policies of present government have brought in an investment of US$ 146 million during the last year. A three-fold increase has been made by the present government in the total volume of bandwidth available in the country. The bandwidth has increased from 80 Mbits to 235 mega bits per second with the installation of STM-I link to the United States, sources said. Now the bandwidth is available on the cheapest rates as compared to any place in the world, the sources said and added that the price has been cut down to US$ 3,000 per Megabit and it will help those organisations and companies where the cost of the bandwidth is a critical factor.

The government, sources said, has also launched a Legal Transcription Training Programme after the success of the Medical Transcription programme. Foreign experts will impart training to 60 master trainers in legal transcription. This programme is also aimed at providing employment to Pakistanis and will fetch a decent amount of foreign exchange to the country, sources added. Government is also investing in infrastructure and award of contracts is being finalised to lay optic fibre backbone from Karachi to Peshawar and fibre loops around the major cities, sources added.

Great news,...
    テつーテつコテつ、テδク,テつクテつク,テδクテつ、テつコテつー`テつーテつ コテつ、テδク,テつクテつーテつコテつ、テδク,テつクテつク,テδクテつ、テ ツコテつー`テつーテつコテつ、テδク,テつク,テつクテつク,テδクテつ、テつコ テつー`テつーテつコテつ、テδク,テつク,テつクテつク,テδクテつ、テつコテつーテ ツコテつ、テδク

A Faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets.

Comment

Coool info.
      Pak is doing well very well.
      But it hate to be annoying wait a minute i am CM scratch that
      I am annoying.
      Where are the links???

------------------
      Our's not to reason why,
      Our's but to do and die:
      You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

I was suprised when kumarkan said that india has a bandwidth of 11.5 tbits ... so I did a little research and found out that thats not true yet but they are working on it will have this soon...

so the question is whats the current bandwidth of india ?

do u think it is feasible for pakistan to get this bandwidth too ?

I heard a year ago that there is multi national multi billion dollar project called project oxygen in which pakistan will be connected to the new submarine lines being layed which is the fastest network in the world any update on that ??

------------------
        To do in life is to appreciate it. To live life is to lose it. I dont know what I am saying so I will stop saying it.

Comment

It is a great news indeed!! The entire PTCL network will be digitalized by the end of 2001. Once the fibre-optic network is completed from Lasbella to Gilgit, it will greatly enhance the reliability and overall pace of data transfer. Most of the software contracts under E.Gov drive are being awarded to the local software developers which will go a long way in strengthening the local industry.

PTCL turned up a profit of over $170 million during the last financial year. Soon to be privatised, it has attracted bids from high profile companies such as Agilent Technologies, Saudi Telecom, and seven others from Middle-East, and Austrailia. Considering the fact that telecommunication sector is in recesssion and Turkey had to withdraw its bid- for the sale of its telecom corporation- due to lack of interest from the potential investors, PTCL has done exceptionally well in promotion of IT, and boosting credibility amongst foreign investors. Companies such as Cisco, Oracle and IBM already have a strong presence in Pakistan. Cisco recently launched its academic program in collaboration with COMSATS. IT will become the second biggest source of foreign exchange after textiles within the next two years. Credit goes to the architect of country's Science and Technology sector, Dr Atta-Ur-Rehman. This person deserves the highest civillian medal of honor.

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited July 22, 2001).]

Comment

Answering Aekella - Mursalin, please read the whole thing, b4 you run around with ur scissors:
            • India currently has 4 lines of 155 MBPS lines under VSNL - all through Cochin.
            • Flag currently has a 10 GBPS line, again through Cochin.
            • VSNL is a part of an international consortium (SAFE) that is currently laying cables Connecting US, Indonesia, India, Africa and Spain. - This will give it about another 1 TBPS by December 2001.
            • Bharthi Telecom is laying cable connecting Malaysia, Chennai and Bombay - about 2 TBPS to be completed by December 2001.
            • DishNet is connecting Singapore and Chennai ~ 8.4 TBPS to be completed by December 2001.
            • Thus through known channels, the total would be about 11.03 TBPS by the end of 2001, if we include delays, by June 2002.
            • I read somewhere that Chandrababu Naidu is connecting Malaysia and Vishakapatnam - No further details known as of now.

Yes, It is very possible for Pakistan to connect itself to these gateways. The easiest way is to privatize. If pakistan privatizes Internet bandwidth gateways, I am sure Pakistani companies will tie up with Indian companies and this will result in manifold increased in Pakistani bandwidth.

The next possible (difficult) method is for India and Pakistan to come into terms with respect to Kashmir, and then trade, gas route, Internet route can be exchanged at the highest level.

IMHO, it is difficult for Pakistan to substanitially increase its bandwidth by itself because of its geography. Countries like South Africa, India, Indonesia, Australia have a minor geographic advantage - jutting out of the continental mainland - that easily helps them to be a part of global network.

Also, I personally feel that it is difficult for Pakistan to increase its available bandwidth from the Gulf side as demand is chocked on that side as only one single line links many African and Gulf locations.

But Pakistan can do one another thing that can give a better bandwidth than anything else - a route from China. China has a very strong network (much better than India's), though most of them are concentrated on its eastern and southern sides. A single link runs horizontally in China to connect the northwestern parts. There is a picture describing this on a recent issue of Forbes magazine.

Pakistan can connect itslef to this link by tying up with china. Better yet, Pakistan can connect with both India and china and get a jump that many can ever dream of.

BTW, wdo you know more about this Project Oxygen?

Comment

here is a link which gives some information
              http://www.vsnl.com/english/media/projoxy.htm

it is a news article of Indian connection to the new Fibre Link

the feed says
              ----

VSNL to sign MOU for Project Oxygen

Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited is set to sign the MOU for Project Oxygen the planned global optical fiber network. The decision to sign the MOU was taken by the Board of Directors, VSNL in its meeting held on 13th July 1998. The participation in the Project and investment would be subject to further Govt. approvals.

Project Oxygen is a global optical fiber network under planning and is constituted as a self restoring network comprising of over 158,000 Kms of fiber optic cable with 101 terminal points in 74 countries. The Project Oxygen would be based on ATM technology as against the existing fiber cables, which offer point to point connectivity.

Project Oxygen is also the first submarine network, which has been designed from the start as a global network with capacity of up to 320 GHz available on every segment. The cable system is expected to be operational by the year 2000 with full commercial service by the year 2002.

Elaborating on the reasoning for the proposed signing of the MOU, the Acting Chairman & Managing Director, Shri Amitabh Kumar said, "Participation in Project Oxygen will allow VSNL to obtain international transmission capacity at a significantly lower cost thus, enabling it to reduce its cost of international networking. The project will enable VSNL to upgrade its
              technology by adapting to ATM mode, thereby providing higher reliability and efficiency in networking operations.

Project Oxygen would also significantly enhance VSNL痴 capability for providing multimedia and Internet capacity on a global scale".

The signing of the MOU will pave the way for VSNL to negotiate the landing points of Project Oxygen in India. The final contract is expected to be signed after formal Government approvals.

"Investment in Infrastructural facilities on a continuous basis forms a part of VSNL痴 strategy to gain a long term competitive advantage through lower cost of transmission
              and switching facilities," said Shri. Amitabh Kumar

----

this came after VSNL opted out of the prgramme in 2000

VSNL opts out of Oxygen

Baburajan K Mumbai, June 2:
              Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd (VSNL) has dropped its plans to make investments in the $14 billion Project Oxygen venture. Project Oxygen is a super Internet project with 3.2 lakh km optical fibre submarine cable network based on Asynchronous Mode Technology (ATM) connecting most of the countries in the world.

VSNL had considered an initial investment of over $10 million in the US-based telecom start-up CTR Group's Project Oxygen. But considering the latest technology developments, VSNL has decided to review the proposed investment in Project Oxygen.

This development will not make any cash losses to Videsh Sanchar Nigam. In fact, an
              MoU had been signed by VSNL in July 1998 with the CTR group to pump about $10
              million. VSNL had also made provision for an investment up to Rs 202 crore in the
              revised ninth plan.

Copyright ゥ 2000 Indian Express Newspapers (Bombay) Ltd.

[This message has been edited by blackzero (edited July 25, 2001).]

Comment

regarding Pakistan (apologies as it is a acrobat file) it is from Jan 2000.. so fairly old. it basicly lists the internet traffic backbone and capacity in the paksitani ISPs.
                http://www.spotbeam.com/pubs/satcoms/satcoms0100.PDF

I was not able to extract the text properly as it was in column format.

Comment

source: telecoms-mag.com
                  Lucent Supplies Oxygen Land Links

Lucent Technologies has been awarded a US$1 billion contract to supply land-based equipment and services for Oxygen, the ambitious global undersea network project currently being developed by New Jersey-based CTR Group.

In 1999 Lucent will deliver terrestrial fibre optic infrastructure, power systems, interconnect equipment and network management services, including a bandwidth management system to route voice and data
                  traffic. Of the 158,000 kms of cable making up the first phase of the project, approximately 8000 kms will be land-based.

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:

• India currently has 4 lines of 155 MBPS lines under VSNL - all through Cochin.
                    • Flag currently has a 10 GBPS line, again through Cochin.
                    • VSNL is a part of an international consortium (SAFE) that is currently laying cables Connecting US, Indonesia, India, Africa and Spain. - This will give it about another 1 TBPS by December 2001.
                    • Bharthi Telecom is laying cable connecting Malaysia, Chennai and Bombay - about 2 TBPS to be completed by December 2001.
                    • DishNet is connecting Singapore and Chennai ~ 8.4 TBPS to be completed by December 2001.
                    • Thus through known channels, the total would be about 11.03 TBPS by the end of 2001, if we include delays, by June 2002.
                    • I read somewhere that Chandrababu Naidu is connecting Malaysia and Vishakapatnam - No further details known as of now.

Do you have sources for this info??

I follow the telecom industry (casually) but havent come across any of this (ignorance on my side maybe).

Post a link from VSNL even, claiming all this.

------------------
                    ICBM Target Coords: 27.500S, 153.017E

Comment

good stuff man ...

does anyone has current upto date stats on the internet bandwidth and connectivity of pakistan and india ?

links would be good

------------------
                      To do in life is to appreciate it. To live life is to lose it. I dont know what I am saying so I will stop saying it.

Comment

http://www.indiabandwidth.com/
                        http://www.indiatimes.com/infotech/f...bandwidth.html
                        http://www.rediff.com/money/2000/dec/16vsnl.htm

I posted a few more links, but our beloved Mursalin deleted it 3 times.
                        Also, I realize I mixed up Dishnet and Bharti telecom in my still living post.

Comment

kumarkan u seem to know alot about this can u or rather do u know of anysites which show a comparative bandwidth capacity info of southasia and asia in general ?

------------------

Comment

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cool gd new

Comment

Is a higher speed more important? or is widespread availability more important?

Pakistan has internet availability to 432 cities....thats better than 90% of main populated areas. What is the percentage, or figures for india?

Comment

Working...
                              X