Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A simple question about film "Gadar"

hey,

I have simple question for the indian guppies out here ... do u believe that the way pakistani and muslims in general were protrayed in this film is correct ?

My synopsis:

-Every person sunil meets in pakistan is either a coward or greedy killer
    -The girl marries a hidu person and then says that its ok ... therefore going against islam.
    -they show buring of pakistan flag
    -The muslim girls converts to hindu...
    -Every dialog degrades pakistanis and muslims.

again to ZZ and rani and them ... do u honestly believe that this movie can even be considered relatively unbiased ??

------------------
    To do in life is to appreciate it. To live life is to lose it. I dont know what I am saying so I will stop saying it.

Originally posted by AekKella:
    hey,

I have simple question for the indian guppies out here ... do u believe that the way pakistani and muslims in general were protrayed in this film is correct ?

I have not seen the movie. But I do not tink that Hindi movies have reputation for realistic portrayal of anything. If u want to see realism, I recommend malyalam movies.

My synopsis:

-Every person sunil meets in pakistan is either a coward or greedy killer

No idea. Not seen movie.

-The girl marries a hidu person and then says that its ok ... therefore going against islam.

This can happen. Does happen. In 'Missio Kashmir' Sanjay Dutt plays Muslim poice officer with Hindu wife. I have seen both things happening. One of my friends married an Iranian girl.

-they show buring of pakistan flag

In volatile times of partition, this can happen.

-The muslim girls converts to hindu...

NOPE.. They show her parying namaz as I have heard.

-Every dialog degrades pakistanis and muslims.

Could be degrading Pakistanis. But which are dialogues that degrade Muslims. Please tell us.

again to ZZ and rani and them ... do u honestly believe that this movie can even be considered relatively unbiased ??

of course, not. But then two contries have gone for 3 wars and our soldiers are getting killed for which we believe that ur terrorism is responsible (u may argue about it. but that is not a point. point is what an average indian thinks of pakistan) so indian movie is not going to be showing very friendy picture of Pak.

I think this is a post-kargil change. Otherwise, our censors did not allow taking names cof countries in movies.

[This message has been edited by ZZ (edited July 22, 2001).]

Comment

I doubt if Aekkella has watched film Gadar.

Not all Muslims are humiliated in this film. There are some shown in the best spirit on that side of border.
      The hero refuses to speak out ‘hindustan murdabad’, and says that there is a greater Muslim population in India than in Pakistan, that prays for India.

Gadar is a commercial film. These films are a success when incash the public sentiments to full extent. I think till film Border, other countries names were never used in Indian movies, except they are not war movies. Open cross border terrorism that is going on for a decade is the core cause for recent change in censor board policies.

Aelkkella is concerned for degradation of Pakistan in this commercial film. I have not seen Pak films. They have no market.
      Will Aekkella agree for the most degraded trend of PTV in journalism?

Comment

AekKella,
        Unfortunately, I havent watched the film and probably wont (I am tired of these partition based films).
        You are asking us if we believe what was portrayed in the movie is true. I have lived in India all my life and I have never seen a couple dancing on the streets or in some garden -- running around trees. So I cant give credit for Hindi movies portraying real life
        You asked if it is anti-Pakistani -- it could be. Indian movie makers are under no obligation to show pro-Pakistan movies. During the height of the cold war even Hollywood had ridiculous anti-Soviet movies where the Soviets were portrayed as these mechanical, cold, regimental and single dimentioned characters. Movie makers try and exploit the feelings of people. These days there is an anti-Pakistan feeling in India and people have taken advantage of it.
        The more serious question is whether the movie is anti-Islam or anti-Muslim. I dont think the sensor board can pass a film which is anti any particular commmunity.
        So what scenes did you think were against the Muslim community ?

Comment

well simply put it is haram for women specially to marry a non-muslim ... by showing that she married a sikh they clearly are showing that it does'nt matter wat islam says everything goes ...

then the islamic religious man who was to marry the girl (forceably) was protrayed as a forcefull bad person with no appreciation of the girls right to say no ... which is clearly unislamic yet it is protrayed as if its the norm...?

and then there were so many subtle things too... these were more anti pakistan then islamic though but regardless farfetched!

like... sunil says that pak recieved 35 corer from india and thats the only reason it survied after the partition... and then he is like "jiss ki roti khatay ho us kay pechay baat kartey ho" ? this was not true I have read numerous third party books about partion and the division of all resource was done in the ratio of 1:3 so it was its share not pitty of india !

and then there are subtle hints again again actors saying that pakistan was a mistake and so on...

they were even bold enough to say that the riots were started by the muslims first ...???

and other things like that ... as for playing with the sentiments of ppl... well how do u think this will affect the general populas would not spread hatred ?

------------------
          To do in life is to appreciate it. To live life is to lose it. I dont know what I am saying so I will stop saying it.

Comment

AekKella,
            "well simply put it is haram for women specially to marry a non-muslim ... by showing that she married a sikh they clearly are showing that it does'nt matter wat islam says everything goes ..."

There are a lot of things in Islam which are haram, that doesnt mean that Muslims dont do it. So if someone shows a Muslim drinking liquor in a movie that may not mean that the movie is anti-Muslim.

"and then there were so many subtle things too... these were more anti pakistan then islamic though but regardless farfetched!"

Like I said the movie might have been anti-Pakistan not necessarily anti-Islamic.

"this was not true I have read numerous third party books about partion and the division of all resource was done in the ratio of 1:3 so it was its share not pitty of india !"

Thats true -- what Pakistan got was their right and not India's pity. But a lot of people were against handing over the 55 crore (not 35) as Pakistan had just invaded Kashmir before even a plebicite or UN intervention could happen. Lots of Indians were of the opinion that Pakistan should have been asked to vacate the land before the money was handed out.

"and then there are subtle hints again again actors saying that pakistan was a mistake and so on..."

A lot of Indians thought at that time that division of the country along religious lines was wrong and would only spread hatred among communities. So for them it was a mistake.

"they were even bold enough to say that the riots were started by the muslims first ...???"

Things really took the turn for the worse during Jinnah's "Direct Action" day when mobs were ordered to kill and for that the government in Bengal gave a couple of days holiday. What happened in Punjab was followed after that.

Comment

Originally posted by AekKella:

then the islamic religious man who was to marry the girl (forceably) was protrayed as a forcefull bad person with no appreciation of the girls right to say no ... which is clearly unislamic yet it is protrayed as if its the norm...?

but that happens.. in general, families in subcontinent are not going to jump with joy if their children, particularly daughter marries in another religion. it is furiously opposed. in fact, it is a norm.

Comment

Why we pakistani watch indian movies and ask them to be polite, fair and don't go against islam. Bollywood is their media center and they know how and when to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by albandi:
                  Why we pakistani watch indian movies and ask them to be polite, fair and don't go against islam. Bollywood is their media center and they know how and when to use it.
                  I think Paki's use PTV to degrade and bad mouth non-muslims lot more than Indian will ever do that. I recently saw a few episode of Paki play completly misrepresenting Sikhism and showing a Sikh praising Islam over his own religion (something no Sikh will ever do).

Comment

Rani, I havent seen paki media do that but if they have its probably in response to border, gadar and these sorts of movies..
                    this doesnt make it right lekin after all Paki's are human too.. not saints..
                    myresponse to bollywood is if you cant take it dont dish it out.!
                    I have OCD: Obsessive Cullens Disorder
                    Bite Me! -- Please
                    I like running with scissors...makes me feel dangerous

Comment

Well actaully I never watch Indian movies ... in fact I hate them for their repeating story lines and dances and stuff which get boring after a while...

but two movies I wanted to see were border and gadar cause I heard ppl say that they were concerning pakistan and islam etc

The only thing is though that by showing these movies to the general public most of whom are illeterate they take such things on the face value of it... meaning they believe everything the way it shown in the movie and as such this develop hate among the people ...

seeing that many of the indians on this board were proffesing a nonhate message to pak ppl I wanted to know where they stood on this issue...

------------------

Comment

nobody is saying what is anti-islam in this movie. anti-pak, yes, we are enemies. but i do not think there is anything anti-islam in movie. heroine does not say that islam is inferior to anything or like that. movie can be made against pak, we are not sending terrorists to kill common en in ur country. just movie. take it in a stride.

Comment

No where in the movie, Islam is degraded. In fact the hero chooses to follow Islam over his own religion when he is asked to.

The movie is full of anti-Pak sentiments, but what else do you expect? The producer has to make money, doesn't he? One thing about this movie Gadar, is they have dramatically presented that anti-Pak sentiment, unlike many other Indian movies.

But hey, take it in stride. As ZZ says, after all, we don't send terrorists across the border to kill innocent men, do we?

And Lastly, FYI, the movie also portrays good Pakistani muslim people - his friend in Lahore, the heroine etc..

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited July 23, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:

But hey, take it in stride. As ZZ says, after all, we don't send terrorists across the border to kill innocent men, do we?

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited July 23, 2001).]
                            I would lovee for you to elaborate on that..
                            because if I comment now you I'll be judged as harsh.. but do elaborate...
                            I have OCD: Obsessive Cullens Disorder
                            Bite Me! -- Please
                            I like running with scissors...makes me feel dangerous

Comment

I have said it again and again media and especially film media is very strong in building peoples perspective. Some times movies are not made to make money; they are just there to make a point. If in doing so they make money well what else do they need. In the last couple of years I have seen a lot of Indian movies which are not about running in the garden or falling in love. They are all anti- Pakistan or Islam. Yes I know the movies are fiction and not reality, but most of the filmgoers don’t see it that. Just look at the society today how many people have learned to fall in love picked up fashion hints from the movies the list goes on and on. The fact is even educated people mix the reality of life with fictional life of movies. The people who make movies know we (Pakistanis) watch them religiously and they are taking full advantage of this.

Comment

Working...
                              X