Let's hear what Indians have to say on this CENSORSHIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's hear what Indians have to say on this CENSORSHIP

India blocks live TV coverage of Musharraf's Official Welcome Source AFP 14 Jul 2001

India banned live television coverage of the official welcome given to Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf Saturday because of sensitivities in broadcasting pictures of an Indian military chief saluting the visiting general, it was reported.
    Tipnis greets Musharraf with a hand shake, not salute Source Times of India 14 Jul 2001

In a conspicuous departure from strict protocol requirements, Air Chief Marshal A Y Tipnis did not salute Pakistan President Gen Pervez Musharraf at the ceremonial reception in Rashtrapati Bhavan this morning and only shook hands with him.
    I am rolling on the floor LOL

[This message has been edited by khan_sahib (edited July 14, 2001).]

This link above from AFP is not working due to extra "=" sign so I am posting the whole story here.

India blocks live TV coverage of Musharraf's official welcome: report

NEW DELHI, July 14 (AFP) -

India banned live television coverage of the official welcome given to Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf Saturday because of sensitivities in broadcasting pictures of an Indian military chief saluting the visiting general, it was reported.

In the past, ceremonial welcomes in the forecourt of the presidential palace in New Delhi have been broadcast live on television, including those accorded to then US president Bill Clinton and Russian President Vladimir Putin during their official visits last year.

Musharraf arrived in New Delhi on Saturday morning and will hold talks with Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee in Agra on Sunday.

India's air force chief, Anil Yashwant Tipnis, represented the three wings of the military at Saturday morning's ceremony, when Musharraf inspected a tri-service guard of honour.

"The (Indian) government appears to have decided that the sight of an Indian chief (of staff) saluting the Pakistani military ruler is not for public consumption," the Hindustan Times newspaper said.

"Only the official broadcasting agency Doordarshan has been allowed to film the reception, including the tri-services guard of honour."

The newspaper said Doordarshan would release an edited version shortly after the event.

Musharraf is widely regarded in India as the mastermind behind the occupation of key heights in the Indian-held Kargil sector of Kashmir by Pakistan-backed militants in 1999.

The 10-week conflict which ended in July 1999 claimed more than 1,000 lives on both sides.

Comment

Now that is funny!!!
      Poor veggie pie!!!

------------------
      Our's not to reason why,
      Our's but to do and die:
      You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

where are da Indians! Rani, ZZ etc etc!

Comment

How very sad and unbecoming of a nation which calls itself a responsible state of the world. They banned PTV during the Kargil crisis and now they are censoring their own tv news.

Some democracy!

And where are all the Indian's?

Comment

that is a big mistake . how about in PTV
            was it shown live?

And where are all the Indian's?
            we are all watching PTV

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited July 14, 2001).]

Comment

That is what you call freedom of media and open minded people in India. The problem is both countries are seprated apart so much that we can trust others but each other. How unfortunate for both countries. I think is would be same if Vajpee was to come to Pakistan.

------------------
              "Away from Eyes......Close to Heart"

Comment

Where are all the indians!!
                And why are you watching PTV?
                From what i remember you indians say that Pak doesn't have freedom of press so why watch it??
                Ironic ain't it that pakistan has more freedom of speech than India!

------------------
                Our's not to reason why,
                Our's but to do and die:

Comment

Originally posted by CM:
                  Where are all the indians!!
                  And why are you watching PTV?
                  From what i remember you indians say that Pak doesn't have freedom of press so why watch it??
                  Ironic ain't it that pakistan has more freedom of speech than India!

One more admission of the truth by India. We have such a free media that the Indian's themselves are watching our tv instead of their tv propoganda. I am proud Pakistani indeed

Comment

that censorship is dedicated to
                    martyrs of kargil .2000 people killed
                    on both sides nothing much changed.

Comment

How long will they hide this half of the world already knows.
                      http://www.paknews.com/top.php?id=1&date1=2001-07-15

Indian TV bans Arm Chief's salute to Musharraf
                      Updated on 2001-07-15 12:59:37

NEW DELHI, July 15 (PNS): India banned live television coverage of the official welcome given to President Pervez Musharraf today because of sensitivities in broadcasting pictures of an Indian military chief saluting the visiting general, it was reported.

General Pervez Musharraf arrived in New Delhi Saturday morning and will hold talks with Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee in Agra on Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                        rvikz,...I thought India is democratic and press has freedom there.But too bad...
                        If they still remembered Old wounds,..then why MUSHARAF was invited to India.,..Why India bothered to welocme him there.
                        Yaar here something is really screwed up,...I hope you know what I mean,......
                        BTW,..Thanx Bud for the input

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`° ¤ø,¸°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ ºÂ°`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º° ºÂ¤Ã¸

A Faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets.

Comment

musharuff tried kargil it did not work
                          now being in power he sees things differently.
                          may be a better way to solve the problem.
                          musharuff created a sound bite "anywhere
                          anytime anylevel" . he never talks about kargil one way or other everbody knows that.
                          both come to realise it is time to move on putting kargil behind.

Comment

I feel indians frying like a fish

One way or another they are trying to avoid the question.

I HOPE THEY WON'T MENTION IT AGAIN THAT PAKISTAN'S MEDIA IS CONTROLLED AND THEIR MEDIA IS FREE FROM ANY CENSORSHIP.

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                              Yeah yeah, but why are you watching PTV???
                              Not too much freedom on indian TV??

------------------
                              Our's not to reason why,
                              Our's but to do and die:

Comment

Working...
                              X