Mass awareness to discourage inter-family marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass awareness to discourage inter-family marriage

genetic survival depends on diversification of genes . stagnet gene pool only perpetuates
    genetic diseases. even quoran talks about
    the dangers of genetic stagnation.

--------------------------------------------

Mass awareness to discourage

inter-family marriages urged

By our correspondent

PESHAWAR: Doctors and social motivators on Sunday called for creating mass awareness to discourage inter-family marriages to control mental and physical disabilities and different diseases taking its toll on human lives, specially, children.

The debate ensued at the one-day strategic planning workshop for development of Paediatric wards "A" and "B" at Khyber Teaching Hospital as model wards by Sheryar Patients Care Association at Khyber Medical College Peshawar.

The topic was opened for a thorough discussion by the facilitator of the workshop, Kamran Akbar, as the doctors attending the session threw light on the subject from the medical point of view and stressed the need for launching a coordinated campaign to educate the society.

The association was formed by Zulfiqar Ahmad, a social worker, and named the organisation after his son, who died at the hospital due to the alleged careless attitude of the duty staff. Instead, the bereaved parents, Zulfi and his wife, chose to start the welfare work to help the hapless and poor children of the province to find solace for themselves and contribute to the well being of the patients. The doctors said that one of the causes of thellasemia was the inter-family marriage system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited July 09, 2001).]

Good job, but what is the link??

------------------
    Our's not to reason why,
    Our's but to do and die:
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

is that intra-family?

Comment

the artcle is from

Monday July 09, 2001-- Rabi-us-Sani 16,1422 A.H http://jang.com.pk/thenews/index.html

Comment

"Good job, but what is the link?? "

The link is that

Marriage between first cousins produces kids that are mentally retarded and prone to genetically related diseases. If too many marriges within first cousins taks place in a family, then recessive genes assert them selves and the children are mentally and physically feeble and prone to genetic disorders.

This is common in muslim families and the Pakistan Government and social leaders want to discourage that. This is not a Hindu/muslim or India/Pakistan issue. So lets not get riled up.

Most religions and communities discourage marriges between brothers, sisters and first cousins, and even second cousins on the fathers side. Some how in the Islamic world, its common to allow first cousins on both fathers and mothers side to be married. Probably to keep the family property in the family.

In fact, The Pharohs of Egypt married bothers and sisters because they didnt want the royal blood to be contaminated with outsiders and has been shown to result in genetic disorders.

Comment

Tanhaa the web link, i know what the connection is!

------------------
            Our's not to reason why,
            Our's but to do and die:

Comment

CM bhai , How does it matter where the infomation came from? Do you disagree with the content and need to know the source and its veracity?

Comment

I like the source for the info, becuase i want to see which paper or org is writting the stuff.
                Also it provides an indepth look at the authenticity of the article.
                Yes i agree with it.
                I personally don't believe in marriage among the family.

------------------
                Our's not to reason why,
                Our's but to do and die:

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                  genetic survival depends on diversification of genes . stagnet gene pool only perpetuates
                  genetic diseases. even quoran talks about
                  the dangers of genetic stagnation.
                  rvikz,
                  Marvelous Job dost,
                  We must educate and tell people in Pakistan that inter-family marriages are not medically safe.Also,This old tradition must be stopped.
                  Good job man,...On this issue,..I agree with you,....

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`° ¤ø,¸°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ ºÂ°`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º° ºÂ¤Ã¸

A Faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I had attended a lecture by a well known Doctor of genetics and a muslim scholar as well. He works in London and he went as far as saying that if need be you should check the genes of the potential spouse as there is a facility available (if you are marrying in a family) and Islam doesn't restrict it.

This problem is mainly among the Asians and has created an alarming situation among Brit Asians who only marry within their own cousins. I don't know what's the situation in the US, Canada, or Australia where majority of Asians lives.

Comment

Working...
                    X