Guards near Line of Control exchange gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guards near Line of Control exchange gifts

Apologies in advance if someone already posted this article up here.
    I wasn't aware that this exchanging of gifts near the LoC had become an annual ritual.

"Guards at LoC exchange gifts"
    Dawn, 29 June 2001 http://www.dawn.com/2001/06/29/top15.htm

Pakistani and Indian guards exchanged sherbet and Quranic verses at a shrine near the Line of Control (LoC) on Thursday, an annual ritual they resumed last June after skipping it in 1999 due to the Kargil face-off.

In line with tradition, India's Border Security Force (BSF) guards took two tractor loads of "shakker" (sugar) and "sharbat" to the LoC and gave them to their Pakistani counterparts.

The Pakistani guards then handed over a chaddar - a sheet of embroidered Quranic verses - for the 200-year-old shrine of the mystic Baba Dileep Singh Manhas at Chamliyal village, in occupied Kashmir.

The ritual was not held in 1999 for the first time in a decade. "The guards from both sides assembled near the zero line, saluted, shook hands with each other. They received shakker and sharbat from our side and handed over the chaddar for Baba's tomb," a senior Indian police official said.

Over 30,000 Indian devotees thronged the shrine near Ramgarh sector (held Kashmir), while about 50,000 Pakistani pilgrims gathered near Saidawali, on the Pakistan side, to offer prayers at a replica of the tomb, officials said.

People on both sides danced to the sound of drumbeat and sang devotional songs. "The exchange of offerings went off in a cordial atmosphere, forgetting the booming of guns," another official said. -Reuters

who said we are not good neighbors?
    have ever seen canadians and americans exchange gifts?

Comment

Im so overwhelmed and choking with emotion and happiness. I love you all, Hindustanis and Pakistanis. Hindustan aur Pakistan dono mere vatan hain. Lets make these feeling last forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanhaa:
        Im so overwhelmed and choking with emotion and happiness. I love you all, Hindustanis and Pakistanis. Hindustan aur Pakistan dono mere vatan hain. Lets make these feeling last forever.
        Tanhaa,
        You have expressed so well and skillfully,Even I wouldn't have come up with that kind a expression.Well,I always wanted to see two countries to start something positive which can lead us all to more openness and prosperous future.....

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`° ¤ø,¸°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ ºÂ°`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º° ºÂ¤Ã¸

A Faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets.

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
          who said we are not good neighbors?
          have ever seen canadians and americans exchange gifts?
          rvikz,
          Take some picture next time,..when American and Canadians exchange gifts,...

[This message has been edited by TARIQ786USA (edited July 06, 2001).]

Comment

soldiers on both understand and share one thing their lives are dependant on what elites in both countries decide. they have kids and parents they share same hope and fear.

Comment

hahaha
              Wat a Joke We stILL have our True Feelings for indians that is ALWAYS enemies... They will always be our ARch RIvals Whatever u say or do nothing will change that..
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              HUM HAYN PAKISTANI HUM TOH JEETAIN GAY HAAN JETAYN GAY!!!!!!! PAKISTAN ZINDABAD>>>>>>>>DEATH TO OUR ENEMIES

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by TARIQ786USA:

Take some picture next time,..when American and Canadians exchange gifts,...
                do they exchange gunfire also..

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ:
                  do they exchange gunfire also..
                  Good question,....I'll Call Canadian PM to ask,..if they have the same luxury like Pakistani and Indians to exchange gunfire for FUN...

[This message has been edited by TARIQ786USA (edited July 07, 2001).]

Comment

its a good tradition but these little gestures wont help much in paving the way for the solution of kashmir problem...or for that matter all the other problems we have.

Comment

the armymen facing each other know they will be killed first in any war or any exchange of fire that common fate unites them. while sons and daughters of politicians go abroad
                      for studies.

Comment

the armymen facing each other know they will be killed first in any war or any exchange of fire that common fate unites them. while sons and daughters of politicians go abroad
                        for studies.
                        rvikz,...
                        I do agree 100% on this,..Politician always think about their own kids,.....But poor people always get the beatings,...Army Job is not an Ideal one for anybody,....but someone has to do it,....and someone has to sacrifice his life too,....I strongly feel for Indian soldiers too, sameway as Pakistanis,...They are someone's brother,.....Husband,...father etc too,....But Politicians in both countries are the one to blame for creating problems,...

[This message has been edited by TARIQ786USA (edited July 07, 2001).]

Comment

As far as I know they have been exchanging gifts for years but it hasn't lessened the hostilities. We need more than gift exchange, trade and stop of anti-Pakistani and anti-Indian propoganda on both sides of the border. Emphasis on shared history and culture rather than the other way around. Bringing out tolerate side and acceptance of other religions nobody is superior or inferior by virtue of what they believe in everyday preaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Rani:
                            As far as I know they have been exchanging gifts for years but it hasn't lessened the hostilities. We need more than gift exchange, trade and stop of anti-Pakistani and anti-Indian propoganda on both sides of the border. Emphasis on shared history and culture rather than the other way around. Bringing out tolerate side and acceptance of other religions nobody is superior or inferior by virtue of what they believe in everyday preaching.
                            RANI JIII
                            I totally agree with you on this,....we must learn the co-existance with eachother....
                            As pakistanis soldiers are the,...Brother,Father, Husband,..etc of someone,..same way Indian soldiers are too.
                            HATE won't lead us anywhere except to more problems and poverty.....Old days are all gone,...Now dealing with present and future is more important than ever.I wish our politicians think the same way as we do...
                            One thing I know for sure,...GOOD DAYS ARE YET TO COME,.......

Comment

Originally posted by Rani:

We need more than gift exchange, trade and stop of anti-Pakistani and anti-Indian propoganda on both sides of the border. Emphasis on shared history and culture rather than the other way around. Bringing out tolerate side and acceptance of other religions nobody is superior or inferior by virtue of what they believe in everyday preaching.
                              Rani - Completely agree, particularly with emphasizing each country's shared history and culture. The animosities have gone on for far too long.

Comment

Working...
                              X