No announcement yet.

After cycling through 62 countries Indian globe-trotter is JAILED in Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After cycling through 62 countries Indian globe-trotter is JAILED in Pakistan

INDIAN GLOBE-TROTTER Vikas Singh's dreams of riding his bicycle around the world turned into a nightmare on Thursday when a Pakistani court sentenced him to three years prison for illegal entry.

Singh, from Lucknow, was arrested in April when he sneaked across the Afghan border into the northwestern Pakistani tribal town of Tirah after failing to get a Pakistani visa in Kabul, they said.

"He had criss-crossed the rugged mountains to secretly enter into Pakistan after he was turned back by the authorities at the main Torkham border check post earlier," a court official said.

Singh, who is in his 40s, told the police he had visited 62 countries since he set off to see the world on his bicycle in 1987.

But Pakistan's intelligence agencies were not convinced, and local judge Arshad Majid awarded him three years hard labour for entering the country illegally.
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/nonfra...1/detfor14.asp

Mere illegal entry does not carry any punishment other than deportation unless there is some suspicious activity involved. Needless to say, india would have done something similar, had it been the other side of the coin. There are hundreds of fishermen of both the countries languishing in each others jails for years without charges and without any viable offense. Your posting spree continues to get less and less reasonable by the minute.

Comment

paranoid and mutual suspicion is really
      affecting innocent people on both sides.
      imagine ordinary fisherman spend years in
      jail in both countries only crime they just strayed in to each others waters.
      these people are poor have no clout and the elitist politicians in both countries
      dont give a damm about innocent powerless common man

Comment

Akif,so u see no difference between Fishermen/Sheperds (who have been found to be informants on many occasions) and a guy who has already travelled through 62 countries on his cycle.An 'arrest' is still justified but to hand out a 3 Year Prison Sentence with hard labour is cruel indeed. And I really doubt whether India would have done the same thing in such a scenario.Recently there was a lady who the BSF handed over to the Paki Rangers after she had mistakingly strayed into Indian territory.

[This message has been edited by chilli (edited May 31, 2001).]

Comment

chilli.
          I do not know the complete minute details of the whole incident, but given the general atmosphere between india and pakistan, nothing is unthinkable. I hail from a border town in Pakistan, and I have seen indians roaming our streets on a daily basis, knowing fully well they have sneaked across. And more often than not, we hear of some imam of a masjid, or some other revered figure of society, who turns out to be a spy working for india....someone who was trained for many many years in education of islam and was given detailed knowledge of Pakistan to enable him to merge into pakistani society unnoticed. So its not exactly unthinkable to imagine them having sent a spy through 62 countries. For all we know, his trip could very well have been a front to establish him as nothing other than a mere joy rider.
          Spies come in all shapes and sizes. More importantly, you or I dont know what exactly is the case with this cyclist. There has got to me more to the story than what u read in hindustan times.

Comment

but funny thing real speis never get caught
            because they are trained well.

Comment

>>>>>INDIAN GLOBE-TROTTER Vikas Singh's dreams of riding his bicycle around the world turned into a nightmare on Thursday when a Pakistani court sentenced him to three years prison for illegal entry.

Singh, from Lucknow, was arrested in April when he sneaked across the Afghan border into the northwestern Pakistani tribal town of Tirah after failing to get a Pakistani visa in Kabul, they said. <<<<<

Do Indians not have any immigration rules and how come Indians' no.1 enemy Taleban let him slip in the first place.

Comment

...he sneaked across the Afghan border into the northwestern Pakistani tribal town of Tirah after failing to get a Pakistani visa in Kabul, they said. "He had criss-crossed the rugged mountains to secretly enter into Pakistan...

So he had a nice time in Afghanistan huh? So it's true that the Taliban have brought law and order to the rugged mountain lands of Afghanistan. When he get's home I'm sure he will share this with his countryman?

Comment

AFTER SUCH ACTIVITIES OF R& AW ANY COUNTRY WOULD BE SUSPISCIOUS OF INDIAN CITIZENS<R&AW COUNTRY

WHY IS IT THAT ONLY THE SELF STYLED WRITERS ,JOURNALISTS POETS,PSEUDO INTELLECTS ARE THE ONLY ONE
                  THINK THERE GRIEVENCES DESERVE A COUP TREASON,BETRAYING MOTHER LAND ,OR OUT & OUT Q U I S L I N G S ....
                  Its a case of im too big for for my ego ....

Pak poet's benefactor flip-flops
                  By Akshaya Mukul

The Times of India News Service

NEW DELHI: Was Pakistani poet Aftab Hussain, who sought political asylum in India, really housed by R&AW in a flat rented out in the name of journalist Sultan Shahin? Asked about this, Shahin, who is abroad, sent an email, explaining that he had given refuge to Hussain in a flat he had rented for his office.

``Aftab Saheb is a friend. He was in trouble at that time. In the tradition of Indian hospitality, I asked him to stay with us. He used to dine with my family whenever he could and slept in another flat I had rented sometime ago for my office. Why do I need to do any explaining if I offer refuge to a Pakistani friend who was in my country on a valid visa and was facing problems in his own country because he had the audacity to recommend the publication of a book written by an Indian Prime Minister? Actually, his case deserves all help...Strange times we live in,'' Shahin wrote.

When The Times of India asked Shahin about the allegations that the flat in question was rented for him by R&AW, and that the agency was forcing Hussain to write anti-Pakistan articles, Shahin sent a lengthy e-mail which did not answer either question but instead painted Hussain as a fraud.
                  double faced spy
                  ``I made enquiries. It seems there has been some disquiet in our government about his credentials right from the beginning...Pakistan has a very vibrant, dynamic, courageous civil society and one of the freest press in the world. Had he gone to Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, he would have received tremendous support. After all he had done nothing, in service of India or secularism or anything else,'' Shahin wrote.

He attacked Hussain further. ``What work can he possibly do for R&AW, either in India or in Pakistan...He is not able to compose a worthwhile sentence either in prose or poetry. If R&AW wanted a drunken lout like him who hasn't even read a newspaper ever in his life, then I think we should ask our government to get the heads of R&AW officers examined.''

Shahin contends that ``Hussain is in love with a Hindu girl from Orissa and wants to marry her and live in India while still maintaining his wife in Lahore.'' Hussain, however, claims he is a divorcee. When contacted, noted Hindi writer Kamaleshwar disagreed with Shahin's charge that Hussain has no literary merit. ``He is definitely a promising writer who will blossom with age.''

Hussain says after moving out of Shahin's flat he met many persons, including I K Gujral and Brajesh Mishra, but nothing came of it. Before his six-month visa ended this February, Hussain says he approached the NHRC which asked the MHA and MEA for their inquiry report. ``The two ministries got angry with me and in mid-March, the home ministry refused me asylum. I wrote to the PM. Even the UN High Commissioner for Refugees told the MHA that I should not be deported. At this point, my visa was extended for two months till May 31.'' Now He has been granted visa till July 31, but there is no word on asylum.

In the terminology of the Cold War and the context of Indo-Pakistan relations, Hussain is a `defector', a propaganda disaster for Pakistan and a coup for India. Government officials now darkly suggest there is something more to Hussain than is publicly known. But this only means that India's intelligence officers have yet to master the craft of handling such ople.

(Concluded)

Previous Article
                  Musharraf wants Russia in Kashmir talks
                  Musharraf's visit brings back Kargil memories

Defence ministry turns candid on China, US

Govt okays longer-range Agni missiles

Salman, Salim Khan questioned again by ED

Govt pulls in Bal to turn Khadi into a brand

Pak poet's benefactor flip-flops

------------------

Woh afsaana jise anjaam tak, laana na ho mumkin
                  Use ek KHoobsoorat moR dekar, chhoRna achha

Comment

CHILLI.....

you want pakistan goverment to invite this chap to TEA PARTY......?
                    For doing heroic attempt to enter in Pakistan illegaly......

Comment

Some more facts from today's edition of DAWN : http://www.dawn.com/2001/06/25/op.htm#4

"And this brings me to the story of Vikas Singh, currently in a Peshawar jail at the start of a three-year sentence. The judge, a gentleman by the name of Arshad Majeed, decided that the ends of justice would be met if the sentence also involved hard labour. There is no question, therefore, that Vikas is in a cell with hardened criminals as companions. It is ironic that the judge happens to have the same name as my old Sialkot friend, who is married faithfully and for long to the incomparable Musarrat Nazir, forever looking for that darned nose thing under the trees as the evening falls. But that is for another day.

And what is Vikas Singh's crime? According to a report by Agence France Presse, he was found guilty of having crossed into Pakistan without a visa. And why is he in Pakistan? Because he is one of those adventurous people - the rest of us only dream about such things - who has biked through 62 countries since 1987. It is not that he did not try to get a visa. He did and the Pakistan embassy in Kabul refused him; so being the intrepid traveller that he is, he crossed into Pakistan over rugged country (having earlier been turned away by guards at Torkham). He was picked up at Tirah by the cloak and dagger men, trussed up and brought to Peshawar where judge Arshad Majeed did him in. This happened in April, so welcome to Pakistan, this being 'Visit Pakistan Year'. "

Comment

No visa, no entry.
                        It is the law.

------------------
                        Our's not to reason why,
                        Our's but to do and die:
                        You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

I can vouch for the story.In fact there is an ammusing anecdote behind it .I do believe he was hikin across all those countries.Near the Pakistani border , the Taliban stopped him...asking him what he was doing , he explalined to them his record breaking trip .they thought he was nuts ..and said we'll take you to the border in our car ..he refused ..and then they literally dragged him into the car and drove him to Torkham ! The moment he got droped off..he walked all the way back to where he got picked up so his record wouldn't be tarnished .

The visa bit?..Well he said he would only take a Pakistani vias at Attock ..he said uptill Attock was Pakhtunistan ..and he first went to the border carrying a Pakhtunistan flag .You can imagine the Frontier constabulory people were not happy at that ! .Poor guy still doesnt deserve such a harsh sentence ..tho
                          How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

I wonder what visa's are for?

Comment

Is it at all likely that Singh's three year sentence will be reduced by any judge ? Generally speaking, how many years do other individuals receive for crossing into Pakistan without possessing a visa?

Comment

Working...
                              X