Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharjah-based firm sends draft deal: 1610-km Qatar-Pakistan pipeline.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharjah-based firm sends draft deal: 1610-km Qatar-Pakistan pipeline.

More good news on the energy front for Pakistan. As with the pipeline from Iran to India via PAKISTAN, our status as a West Asian power is rising all the time.

http://www.dawn.com/2001/06/16/top11.htm

Sharjah-based firm sends draft deal: 1610-km Qatar-Pakistan pipeline

By Khaleeq Kiani

Pakistan has received a draft agreement from Sharjah-based Crescent Petroleum to lay a 1610-km Qatar-Pakistan Gas Pipeline at an estimated cost of US$3.2 billion.

This has come as a "nice competing force," a senior government official told Dawn. Pakistan was keen to pursue but cool to jump into any enthusiasm as it was still firming up its own energy requirements and weighing developments on gas transmission to India. Mr Jehangir Bashar, senior joint secretary and official spokesman for ministry of petroleum and natural resources also confirmed that his ministry was examining the draft agreement. "Yes, we have received heads of terms of the agreement from Crescent and we are analysing them," he said.

The spokesman said that prospects of similar gas import plan from Turkmenistan seemed slim in view of the continued unrest in neighbouring Afghanistan. Pakistan has four gas import options including from Iran, Turkmenistan, Qatar and UAE. Iran had offered $8 billion to Pakistan as transit fee early this year for laying 2,672-km trans-Pakistan gas pipeline to India but there is no direct contact between Islamabad and New Delhi. Pakistan has assured Tehran of all possible support including security guarantees.

"We don't want to discourage our own exploration programme through any hasty decision for import as we believe every pipeline, including Qatar, has to finally reach India. Pakistan itself may not require any imported gas in view of its own sufficient discoveries. But we are open to consider all options," said Mr. Bashar.

Pakistan and Crescent signed a revised memorandum of understanding (MOU) last year for laying 1610-km 44" dia pipeline offshore along the Iran-Pakistan coastal line up to Jiwani, near Karachi to transport 1.6 BCF (billion cubic feet) natural gas.

Under the MOU, Crescent was required to submit a formal proposal before July 2001 to the petroleum ministry in Islamabad as it indicated to gas offtake of 1000 MMCFD (million cubic feet per day) from the year 2005 onward. Earlier, the consortium of Crescent, Total, Trans-Canada Pipelines Limited and Brown & Roots International had failed in mid-90s to sign a formal agreement with Pakistan due to a deadlock with Qatar Gas Petroleum Corporation (QGPC) over gas pricing.

Market sources here said that Crescent has since been able to bring QGPC at a price level where it now seemed feasible for all parties to benefit. These sources said Crescent high officials have been extremely involved in silent contacts both with Qatari and Pakistani officials in the last two months to formalise the contract.

Although, nothing has so far been disclosed about the gas price, Pakistan wanted it to be in the range it had earlier agreed with the CENTGAS consortium for Turkmenistan-Pakistan Pipeline. Under the CENTGAS MOU, the price of gas for delivery at Multan was agreed at 75 percent of the border price of fuel oil but not less than $1.65 per MMBTU and not more than $2.05 per MMBTU.

Damn cool.
    4 options and the indians are dependent on us!!
    I love this!!!!!
    But which of the 4 should we choose??
    I woul personally say Iran, as it would strengthen ties and we get 8 billion dollars a year!!!!!!

Second where are all the pakistanis??
    Seems like Beating up indians is the only thing they truly have time for.
    Good things for pakistan are unimportant it seems.

------------------
    Our's not to reason why,
    Our's but to do and die:
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

But which of the 4 should we choose??
      I woul personally say Iran, as it would strengthen ties and we get 8 billion dollars a year!!!!!!

Me to. The Iranian option would be boon for Pakistan and would stregthen our increasingly closer relations with glorious Iran. Economically, politically and geo-strategically the Iranian option makes sense. We would be firmly tied with the West Asian region and we would a true and powerful regional heavyweight. Boy the potential of our nation!

Comment

Originally posted by Malik73:
        [b]More good news on the energy front for Pakistan. As with the pipeline from Iran to India via PAKISTAN, our status as a West Asian power is rising all the time.

http://www.dawn.com/2001/06/16/top11.htm

Sharjah-based firm sends draft deal: 1610-km Qatar-Pakistan pipeline

My concern the distance of 1610km don't add up. May be I need a geography lesson!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
          My concern the distance of 1610km don't add up. May be I need a geography lesson!!!!

Well the article says the following. Maybe some geographers can add their comments?

Pakistan and Crescent signed a revised memorandum of understanding (MOU) last year for laying 1610-km 44" dia pipeline offshore along the Iran-Pakistan coastal line up to Jiwani, near Karachi to transport 1.6 BCF (billion cubic feet) natural gas.

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited June 18, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:

I agree, that doesn't make sense, unless they want to go through Kuwait and Iran via the land route.
            Which again would be more like 3000 miles.

------------------
            Our's not to reason why,
            Our's but to do and die:

Comment

Originally posted by CM:
              I agree, that doesn't make sense, unless they want to go through Kuwait and Iran via the land route.
              Which again would be more like 3000 miles.

Someone get a geography book and we can check out the distance form Qatar to Gwadur. Isn't Gwadur across the straits of Hormuz from the UAE?

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited June 20, 2001).]

Comment

Yes it is across from the UAE but it isn't 1,600 km away.
                That is way to far away.

------------------
                Our's not to reason why,
                Our's but to do and die:

Comment

Maybe it's 1610 miles? A typo on their part?

Comment

Originally posted by Malik73:
                    Maybe it's 1610 miles? A typo on their part?
                    If in miles that is even worse that would be close to 2500km.

Comment

Just checked.

The surface distance between Doha (Qatar) and Karachi is 1561 km. And seen as Gwadur is hundreds of kilometres west of Karachi (and thus closer to Qatar) the 1610 km distance should be very much correct.

http://www.vsv.slu.se/johnb/java/lat-long.htm

Comment

yesssssss thats gd i hope it goes thru

------------------
                        'Hate your enemy mildly; he may become your friend one day' - Hadith
                        'as for those who are slain in the cause of allah, he will not allow their work to perish ... he will admit them to the paradise he has made known to them' - Surah 47:7

Comment

Wait since the gwadar is west should the distance be less???

------------------
                          Our's not to reason why,
                          Our's but to do and die:

Comment

Working...
                          X