Shaukat to become Senior Minister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaukat to become Senior Minister

This Senior Minister seems a lot like a Vice President. Why don't they make him the Vice President - for day to day running of the civilian matters?

Shaukat likely to be named senior minister

By Tariq Butt

ISLAMABAD: Finance Minister Shaukat Aziz is likely to be made senior minister. With his elevation, Shaukat is expected to be allowed to chair periodic meetings of the federal cabinet when the forum would discuss only routine matters. President General Pervez Musharraf would chair only very important cabinet meetings.

The objective that the government wants to achieve by elevating Shaukat is to share somewhat routine civilian work of the new President, who is simultaneously wearing four caps. Speculation was rife the other day that Shaukat was being named prime minister, but it seemed out of place as the chief executive himself was performing the functions of the premier.

PM,
    Link please.

Shaukat did a good job as finance minister so if do become Prime Minister he will certainly do good job as Prime Ministers.

Comment

I read it in the News, but it is also available here http://jang.com.pk/jang/jun2001-dail...opst/main1.htm in the urdu version.

And no, they are not making him the P.M. They are just elevating him to Senior Minister. Atleast thats what the newspaper claims.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacemaker:
        This Senior Minister seems a lot like a Vice President. Why don't they make him the Vice President - for day to day running of the civilian matters?[/B]
        The guy's already been vice president of Citibank.... he has ample experience of being in a post of great responsibility. If pakistan is effectively to have a vice-president as you say, then he is without doubt the best man for the job.

[This message has been edited by mAd_ScIeNtIsT (edited June 22, 2001).]
        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
        Al-Ghazali

Comment

Zabardast! Ofcourse... an ex-Vice President of Citibank is obviously well-qualified to be the Vice President of Pakistan. How could we miss the simple connection!

Mad... u have proved it once again. I admire you for it. Thanks!

ps. I was the Vice President of my school's computer society. Do u think I stand a chance? Nah! nevermind. Lets leave it at that.

Comment

As VP of Citibank, the guy had a great deal of responsibility to lead the management of an enormous amount of money; he was a controlling factor in one of the world's biggest financial institutions, a job he carried out with great skill.

The fact of the matter is that then, as now, Shaukat Aziz was relied upon by a heck of a lotta people, and he fulfilled that role admirably. His leadership and management ablilities are testified to by his meteoric rise through the ranks of Citibank.

Shaukat Aziz is arguably the single most talented Pakistani executive in the world. As Senior Minister, he would be able to bring business sense to Pakistan's governance like no leader in our country's recent history. He will be a leader unafraid to make tough, economically sound decisions that ultimately will lead to nothing but good for Pakistan and its people.
            Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
            Al-Ghazali

Comment

Okay, maybe I don't have enough knowledge, but you seem to know so much.

Tell us, how many Vice President's are there in Citibank?

Comment

I'll find out in the next 24 hours.... I know about a gazillion Citibankers, but it's nearly 2 am over here and they'll all be in bed.
                Al-Ghazali

Comment

There are various VP's depending on the region and departments.
                  Mr. Aziz was the VP for the Investments subsid in the Citibank.
                  And then was later on promoted to being the President of Citibank Private bank, another subsidary.
                  It is actually to our benefit that such a distingushed person would leave his very very very very high paying job to work for the nation.
                  He knows are great deal of people from WB and IMF and provides a personal credibility which can boost pakistan image with these org.
                  I think this is an excellent move.
                  And peacemaker why do you care if he is posted where, as long as it is best for Pakistan???
                  I personally find this hilarious.

------------------
                  Our's not to reason why,
                  Our's but to do and die:
                  You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Working...
                  X