Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Pervaiz Musharraf??? (The News)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

President Pervaiz Musharraf??? (The News)

Apparntly today CE is no longer the CE but also the President!! reports The News
    Musharraf to take oath as president today

Bureau report

ISLAMABAD: Chief Executive General Pervez Musharraf is expected to take oath as President of Pakistan on Wednesday (today) at a ceremony to be held in the Darbar Hall of the President House in Islamabad.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Justice Irshad Hasan Khan will administer the oath of his new office to the chief executive. According to informed sources, the chief executive will become the President of Pakistan while keeping his office of the Chief of Army Staff.

This political change will follow the promulgation of an amendment to the Provisional Constitutional Order (PCO). It will enable Gen Musharraf to hold talks with the Indian Prime Minister A B Vajpayee on the 14th of July as an equal in terms of civilian and constitutional authority.

Islamabad diplomatic circles have been flooded with reports and rumours about this major political change for the last many days and even top American diplomats were heard inquiring about the change as late as Tuesday.

-------
    link: http://www.jang-group.com/thenews/ju...main/main1.htm

ANd one more thing...at this time only THe News is reporting this...I checked dawn, BBC, T of India but no other sign....

Comment

i checked with ASIANET CHANNEL and they had a news flash during their daily morning programmes.it was written like this....

asianet news flash.........C.E PARVEZ MUSHARAFF HAS BECOME THE PAKISTANS PRESIDENT ACCORDING TO SOME OFFICIAL SOURCES IN ISLAMABAD......

i think it is a very diplomatic movement from him.now he can come to india as the president of pakistan and hold the talks as the real supremo of pakistan.but we have to wait and see the pressure on him mounts up by the international communities to what extent and how.......

Comment

Visit : http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1398065.stm

Comment

The news does seem to be correct as it is now on Dawn, Jang and BBC etc. Although Gen. Musharraf hasn't taken the oath yet, it is being said that he will do that today.

This is an interesting move, and it takes Pakistan effectively into a presidential system. However I don't believe it has anything to do with India. Vajipayee is not a president and Gen. Musharraf is his equal even as the C.E.
          Personally I think it might have something to do with his domestic plans or to deal with the International community's pressure about early restoration of democracy.
          Especially since according to reports he is also going to dissolve the hitherto suspended parliamnet today.

Comment

O Mr. know-all, if this has got nothing to do with the Indian visit then why did he wait for so long to do it... and having waited so long..he could have waited until after his India visit (which is less than a month away)to prevent any such impression from being created in the minds of people...

Comment

Originally posted by chilli:
              O Mr. know-all, if this has got nothing to do with the Indian visit then why did he wait for so long to do it... and having waited so long..he could have waited until after his India visit (which is less than a month away)to prevent any such impression from being created in the minds of people...
              Mr. know nothing what makes you think he cares?

Comment

This had been speculated for months and people were all trying to guess when it would happen. But once again the good General has surprised them all. Timing is every thing and the element of surprise shows the General's superior miliatry and political skills.

It seems he has finally dissolved the supended assemblies as well. Another good move which has put paid to the ambitions of lota politicians who were vying to become pliant a PM's like Junejo. As the Chief Justice of Pakistan is going to administer the oath of office that gives the General legitimacy.

PRESIDENT PERVEZ MUSHARRAF OF PAKISTAN!!!

Comment

A BBC correspondent stated that this latest move by General Musharraf "has apparently been prompted by next month's landmark summit with India, which he would like to attend as Pakistan's president." http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1398065.stm
                  Does anyone know how accurate this claim is vis-a-vis the other claim (that someone posted earlier in this forum) that it was more likely this move was undertaken to assuage the international pressure on Musharraf with regards to bringing democracy in Pakistan.

Comment

Originally posted by Malik73:
                    But once again the good General has surprised them all. Timing is every thing and the element of surprise shows the General's superior miliatry and political skills.
                    O'man.. this is hilarious ...Malikaa u do have a sense of humour after all...

Comment

Originally posted by Nadia_H:
                      A BBC correspondent stated that this latest move by General Musharraf "has apparently been prompted by next month's landmark summit with India, which he would like to attend as Pakistan's president." http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1398065.stm
                      Does anyone know how accurate this claim is vis-a-vis the other claim (that someone posted earlier in this forum) that it was more likely this move was undertaken to assuage the international pressure on Musharraf with regards to bringing democracy in Pakistan.
                      Nadia, that he was going to become president was known for some time now as he himself said that it was on the cards.
                      But the reason for it is the domestic system, i.e. what he has planned for the future governance of Pakistan.
                      Now I would hold my comments about the matter until the official announcement in this regard but as I said above the reason for Musharraf becoming President can hardly be India. The timing may well have been co-incided with the visit there but that would be more a matter of startegy than the reason.
                      But again I would wait for the official announcemnet before comments.

Comment

The timing may well have been co-incided with the visit there but that would be more a matter of startegy than the reason.
                        But again I would wait for the official announcemnet before comments.

Ahmed - I hope that, ultimately, his reasons for doing so prove to be extremely sound. Many many thanks for the helpful and timely response Much appreciated.

Comment

how come this happens only after vajpayee's invitation? he got legitimised after invitation?is pakistan reduced to one of the
                          state goverment of india? why bhutto altaf hussain also want to visit india?

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                            why bhutto altaf hussain also want to visit india?
                            Because these petty-minded politicians will try and do anything they can to undermine and backstab President Musharraf. They can't bear the thought that someone else, and not themselves, is actually capable of solving Pakistan's problems. Politicians like Bhutto and Altaf Hussain are incapable of seing beyond their own egos.

President Musharraf Zindabad! Pakistan Zindabad!
                            Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                            Al-Ghazali

Comment

It's official!!!

President Mohammed Rafiq Tarrar has just resigned.

The National and Provincial Assemblies have been formally dissolved.

General Pervez Musharraf is about to take the oath of office (at 11.00am GMT) as the next President of Pakistan.

PRESIDENT PERVEZ MUSHARRAF ZINDABAD!

Comment

Working...
                              X